Farley??

Debbie J

Farley??

Post by Debbie J »

Every day on our walk we see these guys. There at least 18 of them and they go from field to field to feed. Love watching them but I am not up on birds. I have to say they are sure beautiful birds. They have the oddest chirping sound too.
Attachments
P1030576.JPG
P1030576.JPG (160.96 KiB) Viewed 320 times
P1030516.JPG
P1030516.JPG (239.85 KiB) Viewed 320 times
Debbie J

Re: Farley??

Post by Debbie J »

Anyone?
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Awesome! Those are Sandhill Cranes! They are gorgeous aren't they? They are just arriving now in my area for the winter. We call their vocalizing "bugling" and it can be heard from great distances and heights.

Just last week I saw my "FOS" (first of the season) Sandhills...37 total flying over me. It's a glorious sound and I am always so excited to see them return. I am once again on a survey team for Cosumnes River Preserve. We began counting water birds a month ago. Interestingly some of our wintering ducks arrived early. Right now is the typical time for the Sandhills to arrive. First sighting of them was 3 weeks ago in another area not far from where I do surveys. We often hear them flying over our house.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Thanks Farley, I knew you would know. I love seeing them every day. They hang out mostly in a barley field. Sometimes we hear them but don't see them.