Tim's Tags .... coming to an end

nchoney

Tim's Tags .... coming to an end

Post by nchoney »

So.... this is what's on Tim Holtz's website now.... hopefully, he'll be coming up with something new and fun....

"happy 2017!!! as we embark on a new year many of us reflect on the past while setting goals for the future…

for the last 10 years my blog has been a platform for me to share technique tutorials with you through the “12 tags” series. it’s been an incredible adventure of discovering new ideas combined with the excitement of seeing how they will been interpreted by you. now 120 tags later, i have decided to bring this series to a close challenging me to seek out new ways to inspire…

while it’s bittersweet, it’s also important to remember these tutorials will continue to have a home here on the blog via the links on the sidebar. 2016 certainly proved re-mixing any of these techniques can create unlimited possibilities…"
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
Debbie J

Re: Tim's Tags .... coming to an end

Post by Debbie J »

I wonder if he's coming to an end! His stuff is old and recycled!
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I did see that. It sounds like he is moving to new formats. Blogs with photos are not trendy!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Debbie J wrote:I wonder if he's coming to an end! His stuff is old and recycled!
I agree. I haven't looked at his things in ages. He just seems so out of touch with the trends.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

If you look at mixed media blogs, a lot of what Tim does is still being done-but, of course, now everything is white, turquoise, pink and yellow, not distress colors.
Maybe he needs white tags!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

And more of the bright inks.
Pam P.

Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I, for one, am lamenting the lack of blog tutorials these days; so many videos are a waste of time IMO. But speaking of brighter inks, did you see that Ranger recently released six new 'Tim Holtz' alcohol ink colours? Flamingo, Valencia (orange), Limeade, Patina, Turquoise and Amethyst. Somehow I missed that news last July, just saw an ad for them in the new Cloth, Paper Scissors. Great with Yupo paper - Farley, have you tried the new colours?
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I'm with you Keitha! But I suspect my reasonings run quite a bit deeper than yours. :lol:

1. The signal-to-noise on YouTube makes it tough to find anything worthwhile. And even if the description looks promising, you may need to sit through three minutes of garbage to determine whether there will eventually be anything useful. I don't have that kind of time.

2. Any teenager with a cell phone can be a YouTuber. I know this because I have one in my house. What she posts is utter nonsense, and that's what I'd expect. But sadly, I have seen many adult YouTubers who aren't really any more mature or helpful in their videos than my 13yo is. I've spent a lot of time since Christmas looking for helpful Cricut videos and found mostly noise.

3. While there is definitely value in video tutorials, I wish the people who had the really good ones still did written blog instructions to go with them. But that requires a certain level of literacy that many people under the age of 25 simply don't have anymore. My daughter can't spell to save her life. And lord help her when she gets to high school next year and has to start writing term papers. I don't think she's capable of stringing more than a few sentences together, without dictating it to her phone, emailing it to herself, and then using copy/paste into Word. Writing is a lost art, and it makes me sad.

End :angry37:
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
nancine

Post by nancine »

I have to agree to most of what Keith and Julie write, while a YouTube video at times can be very helpful ( seeing exactly what they did) many times I quit watching because they are just too long. I hate sitting through 10-15 minutes of fluffy talk waiting to get to what I wanted to learn about. I appreciate when their blog has the written measurements etc. I guess a video is easier. I do have a couple gals I'll watch because they are fun/interesting but sometimes I fall asleep watching those long ones!

I didn't know that Ranger had new Distress colors! Someone told me that a stamp store owner quit carrying Tims stuff about 1-2 years ago because it wasn't selling well. I haven't read his blog in a long while.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I "fast forward" through a lot of the videos because I don't want to hear the chit chat or the Oohs and Aahs. I have been watching a series called Rediscover Your Stash that's actually pretty good.
Pam P.

jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Hmm... Maybe we need a new thread for best/most helpful YouTube channels...
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Monica

Post by Monica »

I'm sad to see the tags go, but to be honest I lost interest when he quit doing the 12 Tags of Christmas, because I used that as my push to do something for me during the insanity of the holiday. As for losing interest in Tim's stuff.... I love his Distress line but I really haven't been thrilled with much of anything for a few years, aside from new inks, some of the stencils, and bits of ideaology. I was not impressed when he discontinued grungeboard, but I have plenty of it for now. :lol:
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

pbp908 wrote:I "fast forward" through a lot of the videos because I don't want to hear the chit chat or the Oohs and Aahs. I have been watching a series called Rediscover Your Stash that's actually pretty good.
I do that most of the time to get to the real content I want to see. That series sounds good, thanks, Pam. Maybe as Julie says, we should have a thread about videos with useful content worth watching.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Yes, someone should start a thread with useful YT videos; I also don't have time to waste on bad ones. I do like that I can move the cursor along and get thumbnails of the video which helps avoid talking heads and getting to the real content.
Marianne, Tim did introduce white tags last summer. I recall him talking about the 'new surface' although I suspect Ranger is just repackaging what they put out for another designer earlier. But I might be wrong. I certainly don't buy as many of his products as I once did.
Pam, that series looks interesting - but what's with the flapping hands at the beginning of her video? She's not the first YTer I've seen do that, and frankly I find it annoying. It's a voice-over; make your point while you're doing something worthwhile for heaven's sake.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I am agreeing about Tim and his need to freshen up. I started taking his classes many years ago before he got to big for himself and would come to one of my LSS. They were expensive for this 2 1/2 day sessions but worth it. Eventually he stopped coming and I found that what I saw online hadn't changed much. I learned a tremendous amount from him but he really needs to move on and make some drastic changes to keep up with this fast moving industry and our flighty tastes, LOL. I dare say it, but it reminds me of CS. Great products but samo-samo.

Anyway in answer to a request for good videos on YouTube or anywhere else for that matter I started a thread with one of my all time favorite people, Vicky Papaioannou...yeah, pronounce that! She just delights and inspires me all the time. I look forward to seeing what YouTube videos you all enjoy.

http://www.paperartistsonline.com/forum ... 13&t=12005
FARLEY in Sacramento