Digital Cutter Support Group

paddlegal

Digital Cutter Support Group

Post by paddlegal »

Reading posts on ReCreate and Marianne's thought of dumping her Silhouette I was thinking...a Digital Cutter Support Group.

Though I have no familiarity with the Silhouette we should start a support group for digital cutters in general. I am a total fan of my KNK and Jen likes and uses her Silhouette also. And then there are the Cricuts too that use SVG files that some of you may have. We have a good group of wannabe users so let's USE them!

I know that there was a big learning curve for me with the KNK and many tears were involved. After 3 days of total frustration I was just shy of heaving it out the window, but it's too heavy, so I stuck with it and glad I did. First I found that KNK had a great support system online with tutorials as well as real people at the end of a phone number to talk to. Also Bob held my hand and wiped my tears. :lol:

So what IS the problem? Confusing software? That was my stumbling block and I'm assuming that is everyones' issue. I started out with "Make the Cut" software which had a "bandaid" style compatibility with Mac. Eventually I learned how to work it but I'm now using Sure Cuts A Lot and LOVE it. It's designed to work with Macs so that made a big difference. I don't know what software the Silhouettes use...is it proprietary or do you have a choice?

If anyone is interested in conquering your digital cutter problems let's make a list of issues and see what we can do. I think it would be great to put that expensive piece of equipment gathering dust to fun use.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Debbie J

Re: Digital Cutter Support Group

Post by Debbie J »

My problem is retaining the process of doing things, I use mine infrequently and when I sit down to use it I need a refresher course! It's in my stuff I am moving down to Az and will be able to focus on it more I hope!
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

The Sihouette is a brilliant tool but too complicated for what I need - and I have the first generation machine! I dont use it often enough to retain the knowledge. It's not intuitive by any stretch of the imagination. Thank goodness for all the online help! IF I had the space for it to sit out all the time, I think I'd use it more often.
I love that there are so many designs and that they're so affordable. I love that the size is adjustable. If I had designed it, I would have had step by step, enter the specs capability (choose your shape, enter the dimensions, click & drag it where you want it on your paper, cut). I don't want much, do I?
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Yes, having it set up all the time is definitely going to invite more frequent use. Since my KNK model is a non-portable monster I had no choice but to set it up in a permanent spot which I was lucky to make room for. It glares at me if I neglect it for too long. Meanwhile I am frequently adding SVG files that I will someday use. So many of them are free so I don't feel to guilty.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I'm always surprised at the selection of free files out there.
Maybe when we retire, I'll find a space for it in my new scrapbook area? :roll:
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I have space for mine and it is out where all I have to do is pull off the cover and plug it into my computer. But like Debbie, I use it infrequently enough that I need a refresher course every time. The steps and choices you have to make are not intuitive at all, IMO. I'd say 50% of the time it doesn't do what I want/expect it to do the first time; sometimes I have the patience to figure out what little thing I'm doing wrong, but sometimes I decide it's just not worth the effort. I suppose if I used it every day for a month or something I'd eventually get to the point where I knew what to do next - but I also suspect that once it again sat for a couple months untouched I'd again need a reminder of where to start. And while I love some of the files I've acquired, my style is not that I would use a cut file on every project. With a manual die-cutter I am limited to the dies I've acquired, but it's so much easier to crank one of those out and get on with things.

All that said, I'm not at the point where I'm ready to chuck my Silhouette Cameo just yet. Guess I'm an optimist; I keep thinking that eventually I'll have both the desire and time to conquer it, once and for all. An LSS not far from here does in person classes; one of these days the class will be on a day I could actually go and I'll see if that helps.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Is there an option to use a different software? My first experience with my machine was like being in a foreign land and not a clue to the language. I eventually caught on to it. When I changed software I found Sure Cuts A Lot language easier and more intuitive.
FARLEY in Sacramento
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Maybe if Marianne brings her Cameo to re(create), I'll give it a whirl and see if I can figure out how to demystify it a little bit... I'll have a laptop with me if we need a computer to do things with it. I'll also dig and find my copy of lots of freebie SVG files and maybe we can see how those work on it.

I've got some medium weight cardstock that has worked well in my little Slice digital cutter. The thicker cardstocks just do not cut with that poor little thing but it does super well with something more lightweight. My fear with it is that once I run out of blades, it'll be all done. I still can't believe a company didn't snatch that up and keep going with it. Elan apparently got it from Making Memories but their focus was the fabric world... and I just don't think those things work that well with fabric - I'm sure it'd go through blades in no time at all. So - I'm thinking ahead to months from now when I'll need something else :-)
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Thanks, Debi. It has its own software and it must be connected to a computer. I don't think it uses SVG files. What frustrates me is the software is similar to Photoshop so I expect to use it with the ease of Photoshop. Instead you have to click on every little thing to make anything happen. Like Keitha says, it's not intuitive at all and I have to relearn it every time I use it. Maybe I should have bought the Designer version software and it would be easier.

Does anyone have that version of the software?
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

doing a bit more reading.... so... you can import SVGs into the Designer Edition of the software.... that's $29.99 at a site that then also gives you $10 worth of spending for files at their site... not a bad deal

otherwise... you have to convert the SVGs to JPEGs and then trace them... ouch... LOL
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

nchoney wrote:doing a bit more reading.... so... you can import SVGs into the Designer Edition of the software.... that's $29.99 at a site that then also gives you $10 worth of spending for files at their site... not a bad deal

otherwise... you have to convert the SVGs to JPEGs and then trace them... ouch... LOL

I thought it could use SVGs since the Silhouette site is a fabulous source of them. I have bought and used several from there. I believe that offer you mentioned is from the Lori Whitlock site who also sells her designs on Silhouette site. If you're interested in using that machine, I think $29.99 is a bargain with the $10 in files thrown in. Whitlock's site is my main go-to place for files when I'm shopping around. Plus she has every month (right now) 30% off all files.

http://www.loriwhitlock.com/blog/
FARLEY in Sacramento
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I don't have the Designer version of the Silhouette software and I've never found it to be necessary. I use SVGs, PNGs and JPGs with no trouble at all. Many of my latest purchases come from The Cut Shoppe (Ashley Horton) and I see videos all the time of other gals using her designs in Cricut.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

ScrappinJen wrote:I don't have the Designer version of the Silhouette software and I've never found it to be necessary. I use SVGs, PNGs and JPGs with no trouble at all. Many of my latest purchases come from The Cut Shoppe (Ashley Horton) and I see videos all the time of other gals using her designs in Cricut.

I knew you'd have the answers to Silhouette questions. Wasn't sure if you had that Designer software or not. It makes sense that most machines that are software/computer driven should be able to draw images from downloaded SVGs, etc.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

I can use svg's without converting on my silhouette.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Thanks for correcting me, I didn't remember that. The last time I used the machine was probably when we did that swap of diecuts.
That is a good deal for the designer software. I'll have to check it out.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com