Goals

pamcook

Goals

Post by pamcook »

This is the time of year I start think about my goals for the next year. We’ve had the debate about whether or not “resolutions” are helpful and I’m not really starting that one again! Just wondering if anyone is setting goals for the next months/year.

My goals -
Continue to be judicious about what supplies I buy/keep/use.
Learn more about photography.
Continue to try different styles of pages.
Focus more on the story instead of the event details.
Finish up 2015 & 2016 photos.
Get photos saved on discs or jump drives or whatever.
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Re: Goals

Post by Keitha »

Funny, I was just starting to think about this myself. While I've had some vague goals the past couple of years about finishing up some projects, trying certain techniques and having better photo management, I've realized that without very specific goals I don't accomplish nearly as much. I think being able to check measured goals off a list is very motivating for me.
Although I've established that I do want to set some precise goals this year I'm going to need to think about them for a few days, and part of that will be to revisit those lists of scrappy 'to-do' projects that I've accumulated over the past decade or so - and decide if they really are important enough to me to do or finish, or if it's time to let the idea of them go. I've lamented from time to time that I have a hard time deciding what to work on when I do have time, and perhaps part of that is that the laundry list of projects that I think I want to do - a lot of which obviously aren't important enough for me to have done already - might be holding me back.
Meanwhile, I finally opened a post-bound album this morning and added the pocket of ephemera to it that I organized months ago - so that's something! While I admit that it would be much easier to do that in a 3-ring album I still don't care for the huge gap in the middle of the pages, so as long as I am scrapping and can find post-bound albums I'm happy with, I'll continue to use those.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I completely agree. Steps to meet my goals can be the difficult part for me. I don’t want to pay for photography lessons and I don’t have a “good” camera but I know I can learn composition tips that would apply to any camera.
This week I hope to write down a few ideas to see how much progress I can make this year.
Pam Cook #48
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

What pressure I'm feeling for myself...ha ha ha. I am not a list maker, other than for groceries or errands. That probably explains why I am in such a state when I enter my craft room to "think" of something to do.
I should focus on organization and deciding what it is that I want to accomplish. I'd like to do more cards and layouts, to use supplies, have cards on hand and also to put some completed layouts into albums. I've been thinking of the PL way of scrapbooking, but I'm not sure on size format. I have a lot of 12 x 12 We are Memory Keepers page protectors that are PL style. I think I may use those up to get the grandkids pics into their albums quickly.

Funny you should mention you prefer post bound albums, Keitha. I started out with those, as I'm sure all of us did. I mostly use the WAMK 3 ring albums now.

I hope we can accomplish some, if not all of our goals in 2018.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
Monica

Post by Monica »

Goals... hmm... okay, I'll play along.

Remember how great it feels to use not hoard... and do so. Which leads right into continuing on the WDW trip and getting it finished before I forget what I need to journal.

Seriously go through the two cubes of flowers, and the two cubes of ribbons, and cut it down to at least half for each. And yes, I'll let you all know when I have stuff available for grabs. :lol:

Go through the photos I have from MIL's slides and negatives, print off, and put them in an album. FIL is losing his memory with the Parkinson's advancing, but things that happened decades ago he remembers and I think this would be a good tool to help him retain what he can as long as possible.

Rediscover the simple joy of stamps, embossing powders, inks, and paper...

Yep. That'll do me. ;)
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Pam - There are some great photography classes online that are free. I'll try to send you a list. I did save a pin on photographing Christmas lights, so you can check there for that one.

Goals? Right now my number one goal is to find the rest of my things! I can't even find the big Tonic cutter. :-o

I do want to continue to work on the album for George. He liked my "all about me" book so I started one for him. That needs to get back into production. I also need to finish going through my stash and put that box together. ;) But my biggest goal is a very doable one - take more photos. I haven't pulled out my camera equipment in so long I'll have to relearn the settings. Another one is to use some of that B&W film I've had in the freezer for a while. I had my old Nikon refurbished a few years ago and haven't touched it since. And in packing up, I found all of my canvases and oils. That was one thing I had said I wanted to do when I retired - paint again.

Other than those lofty goals, the yard is a mess and I've got to get it cleaned up. One huge bonfire has already been taken care of, but another one is under construction now! Anyone wanting to sit by the fire with me, bring your own marshmallows!
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I usually set some goals but never meed them

so I'll do it again
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Hmmm...Yes I’ve been thinking of a few goals. I believe they are the same ones of last year. LOL.

Crafting goals: My biggest bugaboo is keeping supplies organized and in their proper place but still readily available so I’ll use them. Next is, though I make many cards, I am still late in sending out birthday, anniversary and particularly “feel better” type cards. My bad habit is, in spite of having an appropriate card for the occasion, I always feel the need to send a more customized card for that person. Hence I’m late. That’s just crazy.

Solutions: My gut job of my craft room is coming up. I plan to be brutal and purge like crazy. Clearing the floor is #1 on the list. Supply-wise I need to ask myself honestly how often I will use a new stamp/die/paper pad. I really have to watch my knee-jerk reaction to awesome stamps and samples of cards. My current supply of stamps is wonderful and they need to be used...or part with them. As for getting cards out on time...USE what I have already made. Also have a list on my iPad with notifications well in advance of the event. That means to go through my contact app and make sure I have dates correct.

So once holidays are over and two upcoming “Christmas Bird Counts” are complete my time will be freer to really make a dent in my craft room.

Other goals: Add one day to my exercise routine...2 days are not enough. Don’t over commit (or commit at all) myself with other people’s agendas. Regularly file eBird reports when out birding (geek stuff). And when meeting with my craft group have an actual, useful project ready to execute.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

There are some good goals being shared here - you gals are adding to my list of things to consider!

I've come to the conclusion that the only way to have a completely neat and organized studio all the time is to never make anything. One of my goals is rather than eliminate the chaos I'll be more routine in putting things away after every craft session. Critical though, is everything having a home - and me knowing where that is! Which sounds odd, but I find when I reorganize and then leave home to work for weeks at a time, I forget where the new home for something is.

Farley, I was nodding in agreement with your comment about needing to make more customized cards to send. That's probably one reason I don't make a lot of cards; I always feel like when I'm sending one it needs to be tailor-made for that recipient at that time. Which is kind of crazy, as store-bought cards are pretty generic. But I've decided that as many of the stamps and dies I've acquired are geared more to cards than layouts I need to use them; I don't want to get rid of them as I like the results they produce. But I can always send out RAK cards for no reason - I need to get better at that. I probably also need to organize better card-only supplies like sentiment stamps, so when I do make a card I know what I've got.
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I have a few, very few goals for this year but one thing is to get back on track with my eating. I have been very bad this past year. One good thing at least I've been getting a good amount of walking in.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I was pleasantly surprised to see, when I compared my list of finished projects to the goals I'd set for 2017, that I was just two pages shy of the 50 pages I wanted to scrap last year. That, more than anything, is what spurred me on to print photos and get a layout made this week. Thanks to swaps on PAO I made many more cards and tags then expected, although fell quite short of the mark on finishing up other old projects. But while I'd begun looking at my list thinking 2017 was a crafty epic fail for me, in fact I accomplished a lot of what I set out to do. I also made some progress in the purging of supplies and reorganization of my studio, although in isolated pockets as that's how I work best.
So in terms of measurable goals I've set comparable numbers for this year although the actual projects will be different. I'm also making note of the reorganized areas of my studio as I finish them, because I find seeing the list of accomplishments motivates me to do more. I purged my Christmas embellishment box while I had it out, so am out of the gate on that front as well. I've even got one of those abandoned projects from a couple years ago well in progress on my desk, and now that I'm into it am quite enjoying it.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

That's great Keitha! I always do better when I set goals. I learned a long time ago that setting goals, along with making a step by step plan to accomplish them, is a useful tool for me. Sure, they get modified from time to time but it keeps me on track.
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I think I always set a goal to have more healthy habits, but not being able to eat what I want and being hungry makes me angry, so I gave up on that one. I still go to zumba to try to give my heart a workout, but I've gained back most of what I lost years ago, and I figure my kids will have to be out of the house before I give that another honest shot. We have maybe two nights per week where we all eat together as a family, and nobody wants to spend half of those nights preparing something that's good for us. Someday when we're not running kids around every night of the week, Rob and I can go back to cooking for just the two of us, and cooking "good stuff". But not for the next several years.

I always have crafting goals, but they're usually not reasonable. I can't help but strive to get "caught up", because I always spend more time on each layout if I don't feel so overwhelmed with the pile of stuff that I want to scrap. But maybe a goal like 10 pages a month might be more reasonable. We'll have to see. I definitely need to dedicate some me time this year. Maybe scheduled me time should just be the goal in itself. ;-)
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Monica

Post by Monica »

Well, I have made it through the flower purge. And I was wrong... it was 3 cubes and a couple other containers, not just 2. :tomato: But... I have loose flowers in one container, the Prima jars (yes, those are at least 10 years old) reduced by half to those I will actually use, the flowers still in packaging thinned to ones I'll use... you get the idea. But rather than overflowing cubes of flowers, I now have two that are maybe 2/3 full, plus the plastic tub (too long by a couple inches) sitting on the shelf that had housed the third cube, and a HUGE pile of stuff to be donated to my coworker's daughter for her enjoyment. I also went through some of the ink pads and purged, since I was on a roll. Progress feels good. And I can't wait to clear out the ribbons next!
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Goals....I've been thinking about that. I usually teach at the beginning of the school year to my high schoolers on how to set goals and accomplish them. There are short term goals and long term. And there are tactics in accomplishing those goals.

Mine:
Short Term
1. Get all those 8x10's out of frames and scrap them. Remembering when they were taken and the story around them is not as easy as I thought it would be.
2. Learn some new scrapbook Technics (everything is looking the same)
3. Learning to use more mixed media in my scrapbooks
4. Take the pictures off my phone in chronological order and put them on Snapfish

Long Term
1. Complete scrapbook 2014 and work forward.
2. Make more cards
3. Make more ATCs
4. Participate more in the PAO challenges
Laurie Bennett #118 on POA
North Carolina