Weekend self-challenge

jfugina

Weekend self-challenge

Post by jfugina »

OK, if I put it out there, I'm more likely to do it, right? LOL. I've got nothing at all on the calendar for Friday (I don't do Black Friday), and aside from an eye doctor appointment, the rest of the weekend is also delightfully unscheduled. WooHOO!

So I've decided to challenge myself to complete 20 scrapbook pages. I got caught up on photo printing this past weekend, but wasn't able to get any farther. And I've found some sketches that I want to make. 20 pages might sound like a lot, but it's only 10 double spreads, so I actually hope to do a whole lot more. But I also want to challenge myself not to just rush through and do the bare minimum. So maybe 20 pages is just about right. I've also got a few other ideas lined up for "taking a break" but staying in the craft room.

I know it's a lot, but anyone want to join me? I know it's a busy shopping weekend for lots of people, and some will spend the weekend decorating, but this is looking like my only unscheduled weekend between now and January.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pbp908

Re: Weekend self-challenge

Post by pbp908 »

Good grief, Julie. You go, girl! I can't join you because almost everything is packed, but I can cheer you on!
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

I'll do my best, but we'll be at the in-laws until Saturday night. I'll commit to 4 pages Sunday, in between laundry. How's that? ;)
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Yay Julie! I'm still running up and down the highway between home and work; this weekend while home I have a pretty packed schedule. But I am so looking forward to seeing your finished pages. Cheering you on all the way - you can do it!
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Great challenge for yourself, Julie!! That's definitely do-able, for sure!!

I'm hoping to finish making some Christmas gifts that need to get made... and one is a scrapbook... so I may get that many pages, done, too!!
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Going to be having company this weekend so I don't know that I'll do anything. I'll be cheering you on also.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Thanks everyone! Just having a few folks on the lookout for my pages is helpful, because it will hold me accountable. :-)

I had actually hoped to get started last night before the DWTS finale (I don't watch much TV, but have gotten sucked in to dance competitions over the past year). But Monday night Nicole informed me of a new "uniform" component that the guard decided on - above and beyond the already heart-attack-inducing dues. And I had two choices - I could spend time fighting it with the people in charge, or I could suck it up and run out to Kohls and grab what I needed while it on sale and available and had the potential for extra Kohl's cash. So I chose the second option. It's just a basic Adidas track suit that they want to wear while not in actual uniform, but it was $70 I was not planning on spending. They're looking to get the jacket embroidered with some team logo. I decided to solve the cost problem by telling Nicole she'd be getting it for Christmas. She's pretty salty about it. I know it's kind of cruel, but I'm not made of money and she can't just keep piling these things on without balancing the budget in other ways. I think she's old enough to start getting those lessons. I also suspect that most of the girls on the team have a background in either gymnastics or dance, and the parents are used to the ultra high expense of costumes, travel, and other coordinating team gym clothes. I accepted the "dues" amount, but I'm not prepared to be nickeled and dimed for the next 6 months above and beyond that.

OK.. rant over. I think some scrapbooking might be on the agenda tonight. I'm at work, but I think it's going to be a super short day. Woohoo!
Julie Fugina
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

What a great challenge Julie! I look forward to watching your progress. I hope to scratch out some crafting time this weekend but first cooking today, eating tomorrow and then getting the tree and some decorations up.

Re uniforms...Charley’s MB didn’t go quite that far requiring a warmup suit. What they did do was to design a new sweatshirt each year that graphically represented the actual field show they performed. So every year we of course would buy it. I don’t recall the price but it was around $30 I think. They were really cool looking and we noted that many of the other MBs did the same. His season didn’t go as long as Nicole’s either. They were always done by the weekend before Thanksgiving with the Championships.
FARLEY in Sacramento
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

jfugina wrote:Thanks everyone! Just having a few folks on the lookout for my pages is helpful, because it will hold me accountable. :-)

I had actually hoped to get started last night before the DWTS finale (I don't watch much TV, but have gotten sucked in to dance competitions over the past year). But Monday night Nicole informed me of a new "uniform" component that the guard decided on - above and beyond the already heart-attack-inducing dues. And I had two choices - I could spend time fighting it with the people in charge, or I could suck it up and run out to Kohls and grab what I needed while it on sale and available and had the potential for extra Kohl's cash. So I chose the second option. It's just a basic Adidas track suit that they want to wear while not in actual uniform, but it was $70 I was not planning on spending. They're looking to get the jacket embroidered with some team logo. I decided to solve the cost problem by telling Nicole she'd be getting it for Christmas. She's pretty salty about it. I know it's kind of cruel, but I'm not made of money and she can't just keep piling these things on without balancing the budget in other ways. I think she's old enough to start getting those lessons. I also suspect that most of the girls on the team have a background in either gymnastics or dance, and the parents are used to the ultra high expense of costumes, travel, and other coordinating team gym clothes. I accepted the "dues" amount, but I'm not prepared to be nickeled and dimed for the next 6 months above and beyond that.

OK.. rant over. I think some scrapbooking might be on the agenda tonight. I'm at work, but I think it's going to be a super short day. Woohoo!

We have done this with all the girls. After spending $200+ on uniforms every year. The "required" warmup stuff has become Christmas gifts. They used to put up a fight but they now realize how much gets spent on what they do. They need to be grateful for what they get.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Wow, I can't imagine a goal like that but if you think you can then you can!

I do have an album here on the floor where I can trip over it that needs to be updated for our quilt group. Maybe I should step away from the sewing machine and knock out the layouts to update it. I think I've had it for 2 years! :-o
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

paddlegal wrote:What a great challenge Julie! I look forward to watching your progress. I hope to scratch out some crafting time this weekend but first cooking today, eating tomorrow and then getting the tree and some decorations up.

Re uniforms...Charley’s MB didn’t go quite that far requiring a warmup suit. What they did do was to design a new sweatshirt each year that graphically represented the actual field show they performed. So every year we of course would buy it. I don’t recall the price but it was around $30 I think. They were really cool looking and we noted that many of the other MBs did the same. His season didn’t go as long as Nicole’s either. They were always done by the weekend before Thanksgiving with the Championships.

Oh man - Farley, I guess I forgot to mention what's going on now. This ordeal isn't marching band anymore. We have winter programs that are mostly the same band kids. Marching band is over, but we have two groups who compete in WGA and MCCA competitions. This is the winter drumline and the winter guard. It's a whole new set of routines, and dues. And given that Nicole is in the guard, it's a whole new set of drama mamas. :lol: The marching band had "show shirts" that were t-shirts that represented the show. But they were built into the fees, so we didn't have to pay extra for them to coordinate outside of the show. Winter Guard has a whole additional fee, but they didn't include these warm-up suits in the fee, so it's now causing all kinds of consternation by the moms that were not consulted. :shock:
Julie Fugina
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

ChristyB wrote:
jfugina wrote:Thanks everyone! Just having a few folks on the lookout for my pages is helpful, because it will hold me accountable. :-)

We have done this with all the girls. After spending $200+ on uniforms every year. The "required" warmup stuff has become Christmas gifts. They used to put up a fight but they now realize how much gets spent on what they do. They need to be grateful for what they get.
I know that your soccer stuff gets expensive! For us, never having had anything more expensive than a YMCA season, we were caught totally off guard when we heard the marching band dues were $550, and that that was "low" because they weren't traveling. :shock: The winter guard dues are $900 (not including the warmup suit). I expected it to be higher than band because they buy new uniforms every season, and each show has it's own new set of silks (for the flags). But then there's the travel. There are 5 hotel nights and charter buses (I think) built into that fee also. So when Nicole comes at me with "the girls all agreed...", she's going to figure out quick that she's letting her activity team choose her gifts for the next however many holidays and birthdays. Or she's going to have to figure out a way to work a job into her schedule after she's 16.
Julie Fugina
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

mpizzazz wrote:Wow, I can't imagine a goal like that but if you think you can then you can!

I do have an album here on the floor where I can trip over it that needs to be updated for our quilt group. Maybe I should step away from the sewing machine and knock out the layouts to update it. I think I've had it for 2 years! :-o

So I knocked off work early today and was home by about 3. Kids were totally zoned out with a new video game Jake got for his birthday, so I came to the craft room and got started. I was initially overwhelmed by the three years of photos I had out on the table, but I grabbed some stuff and got started. I got 11 pages knocked out tonight, so I know that 20 will be easy enough to hit. I'm not especially happy with about half of them though, because I had chosen a collection that I was determined to use, and then it just turned out kind of "meh". Tonight's main goal was to get a few campouts knocked out. It's tough, because I feel like I take the same photos all the time.

Last time I printed photos I printed some totally random stuff from my phone. Stuff I'd texted to Rob, or that he'd texted to me, like Jake in a funny hat for no reason, or Nicole smiling over a drink from Starbucks. So I think maybe I'll switch gears for a while and do some random single-page layouts of day-to-day life.

I was also having a side conversation with Keitha about some of the sketch classes we've purchased. She was looking at the SG 6x6 paper pad class, which I was highly disappointed with at the time. But after looking at it again, I decided to approach those sketches a different way and make empty layouts. So that's another thing I want to do this weekend. I find making empty layouts kind of freeing, because I'm not trying to match a set of photos by color, theme, or anything.

I'll post photos when I've got a few more done.
Julie Fugina
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

My grandsons are all into sports. It's a given that equipment and uniforms beyond what is included in the fees are often birthday or Christmas presents. And they've also contributed themselves to the cost even before turning 16, as all 3 boys had paper routes before being old enough for real jobs. I'm always amazed that swimming is the most expensive of all - how much can one itty bitty bathing suit cost? Well, apparently a competition swimsuit is $100 - but it makes you go faster ;)
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

jfugina wrote:
paddlegal wrote:What a great challenge Julie! I look forward to watching your progress. I hope to scratch out some crafting time this weekend but first cooking today, eating tomorrow and then getting the tree and some decorations up.

Oh man - Farley, I guess I forgot to mention what's going on now. This ordeal isn't marching band anymore. We have winter programs that are mostly the same band kids. Marching band is over, but we have two groups who compete in WGA and MCCA competitions. This is the winter drumline and the winter guard. It's a whole new set of routines, and dues. And given that Nicole is in the guard, it's a whole new set of drama mamas. :lol: The marching band had "show shirts" that were t-shirts that represented the show. But they were built into the fees, so we didn't have to pay extra for them to coordinate outside of the show. Winter Guard has a whole additional fee, but they didn't include these warm-up suits in the fee, so it's now causing all kinds of consternation by the moms that were not consulted. :shock:

Well that makes more sense. For Charley, after MB season was over he just did Concert Band which only required black pants and a white shirt. Already in his wardrobe thank goodness. Many of his MB friends did do the winter guard or drumline.

I am itching to get into the craft room to finish off the PAO Christmas cards. They are done but for some embellishing. Once I get some baking going I’m going to disappear for a bit to play. Hope you get lots of scrapping time in this weekend.
FARLEY in Sacramento