Throwback Thursday Challenge - Perfect Pearls

Keitha

Throwback Thursday Challenge - Perfect Pearls

Post by Keitha »

So who's with me for a new challenge? I was going to wait until the new year for this, but in light of our recent conversation on Ranger's Letter It and considering today is Thursday... I present to you the first Throwback Thursday challenge. Today's challenge is to use those Perfect Pearls. Use 'em any way you want, on any project you want. Typically I wouldn't throw a challenge out there without having an example myself, but I'm headed out the door momentarily for a holiday event with a girlfriend - but will have my thinking cap on and do something tomorrow.
I don't have a structured timeline for these challenges, so I'd say you've got at least a couple weeks before you see another one.
mpizzazz

Re: Throwback Thursday Challenge - Perfect Pearls

Post by mpizzazz »

Good idea to jump in with the challenge when an idea presents itself. I'm looking forward to try out an idea I have though I might have to use my Pearl Ex powders, too. I think I have one jar of Perfect Pearls that came in some kit.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

This is a great idea for a challenge theme!! Getting some use out of all those things we've bought over the years. And a "perfect" challenge to start us out. LOL
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Does anyone have a link to the technique you’re referencing?
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Marianne, thanks for mentioning Pearl Ex powders which I meant to include as well. I must have been late to the Perfect Pearls party all those years ago, because I didn't already own Pearl Ex when I first discovered Perfect Pearls.

Pam, this was the tutorial I first saw that referenced Ranger's Letter It line, apparently a re-branding of some products and an introduction of others: http://rangerink.com/?ranger_project=tw ... kelli-cool. There's a newer tutorial using the products on a Christmas card here: http://rangerink.com/?ranger_project=pe ... kelli-cool although I think it's basically the same technique. I'm all for Ranger re-branding if that's what it takes to generate interest in a product I already own; all those new designers way more clever than I can show me new ways to use them. I'll confess I have way more little pots of PP than the number of times I've used them would warrant.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Keitha wrote:Marianne, thanks for mentioning Pearl Ex powders which I meant to include as well. I must have been late to the Perfect Pearls party all those years ago, because I didn't already own Pearl Ex when I first discovered Perfect Pearls.
I can remember standing in a Michael's or ACMoore store and looking at the Perfect Pearls and Pearl Ex side by side, debating which to buy. I didn't know at the time that the PPs had the sizing or whatever you call it in them to make them stick. Maybe I liked the colors better and chose the Pearl Ex.

Anyway, when I get home, I'm going to play around with them and use them up!!!!!!!!!!!1
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Oh! I was thinking of the liquid pearls stuff. I'm not getting enough oxygen to my brain.
Yes, Versamark is basically the same thing and I have entirely too much of it as well.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Love this idea! Do I have any PPs? Oh yes, I sure do. Still eyeing a few of those Letter-It greeting stamp sets. Where did that 2018 resolve go! :lol:
FARLEY in Sacramento
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

I found my Pearl Ex!! Thankyou, Marianne. Only you and I know how many years that set has been sitting in my cupboard :P Now I've just got to find out what to do with it!
Kathryn.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

katymjo wrote:I found my Pearl Ex!! Thankyou, Marianne. Only you and I know how many years that set has been sitting in my cupboard :P Now I've just got to find out what to do with it!
Kathryn.

Ahem...I’m pretty sure I have those also. :lol: I just never did the “extra” stuff you needed to do with them to stick. I wonder where they’re hiding?
FARLEY in Sacramento
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

Does anyone know what the "extra stuff " is??
Kathryn.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

katymjo wrote:Does anyone know what the "extra stuff " is??
Kathryn.

I'm thinking (fuzzy memory) it was guar gum? It's a binding mixture of some kind. It's been years since I learned of it. Maybe Marianne or Keitha recall what it was. I think I never ended up getting any. Too complicated and time consuming for me at that time.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

paddlegal wrote:
katymjo wrote:Does anyone know what the "extra stuff " is??
Kathryn.

I'm thinking (fuzzy memory) it was guar gum? It's a binding mixture of some kind. It's been years since I learned of it. Maybe Marianne or Keitha recall what it was. I think I never ended up getting any. Too complicated and time consuming for me at that time.

it is called gum Arabic. I think I learned about it from Ron Perry (CS). I did use it, a long time ago.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

So..... that's what that bottle of gum arabic is for....

:D
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

It's been a long time since I used Perfect Pearls and my repertoire back then was pretty limited, so I decided to look online for ideas. So glad I did; I was thrilled to find this technique by Jennifer McGuire which she calls Pearlized Stamp Layering. In it she's paired PP with layering stamps which is a great way to make an older product fresh again. The link below will take you to her awesome cards and tutorial, and below is my rendition - a simple card so I'd actually get it finished and posted today. Let me tell you she's not kidding when she talks in the video about the wow factor when you do this yourself.

But here's my question for y'all: how do you keep the Perfect Pearls from sticking to the cardstock where you don't want it? I tried gently brushing with a soft cloth as she suggests, but still have quite a bit left behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU8yb_X31UU
Attachments
DSCN4772_r.jpg
DSCN4772_r.jpg (228.13 KiB) Viewed 485 times