July 2016 Card Sketch - Color on Kraft

pamcook

Re: July 2016 Card Sketch - Color on Kraft

Post by pamcook »

Maybe I can sleep most of the way home so I have some energy to work on this when I get home. You all have made such beautiful cards!
Pam Cook #48
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

I have been playing and I like them better than I thought I would. They look much better in person. The first one was embossed with copper and then I colored it with inktense colored pencils. Of course, when I applied the water it warped quite a bit. The second one is my favorite. It reminds me of the bittersweet that blooms in the fall. The third one was just stamped with black and colored with markers. I put some Wink of Stella on the red roses. The hello is die cut and then embossed with black. The fourth one was embossed with white and then colored with some random markers.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (37.5 KiB) Viewed 348 times
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

Last two... The first one was embossed with copper and rubbed with distressed ink. Much less warped than the one in the first group. The second one was embossed in white and colored with the only two distressed markers I own. I was surprised they did so well. I thought they would be much more transparent, but they stayed pretty true to color. I liked it so much I didn't put a sentiment on the front.

I think I deserve bonus points for using that label stamp and die. I have had them probably 6 years and this is the first time I have used them! I am sure you guys don't have any supplies like that.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (44.89 KiB) Viewed 348 times
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

BONUS POINTS!!!!

I found two sets of Altenew stamps in my mailbox. Evidently I placed an order before leaving for Ohio. I'm sure none of you have forgotten you've placed orders, only to be surprised when they arrive. All my Altenew sets should look good on Kraft!
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Trixie you get applause and bonus points in my book! They are all jaw-dropping-gorgeous. I am so tickled at how many of you have tried this challenge. I think the Kraft card stock is greatly overlooked and everyones' examples have been fabulous.
FARLEY in Sacramento
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Great cards, Judy. Makes me really want to play along with the challenges. I need to put down the fabric and dig out the paper and cardmaking supplies...
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Ok, I'm trying some of these techniques on kraft paper. I am hopeless at putting ink on an embossing folder and have it look like anything. Can someone, please, explain to me how you do it? I've tried it on the negative space and I've tried it on the positive side of the folder. I've rubbed the paper with the anti static pad. I've looked at the tuts on SplitCoast, help!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

mpizzazz wrote:Ok, I'm trying some of these techniques on kraft paper. I am hopeless at putting ink on an embossing folder and have it look like anything. Can someone, please, explain to me how you do it? I've tried it on the negative space and I've tried it on the positive side of the folder. I've rubbed the paper with the anti static pad. I've looked at the tuts on SplitCoast, help!

I've never had great results applying color to the embossing folder. So instead I just swipe the embossed design after I run it through the machine. In other words I take a hard ink pad like the mini Distress inks and gently rub over the raised areas.
FARLEY in Sacramento
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Thanks, Farley. I thought with your superior card making skills and experience, you were doing it in the folder. I'll persevere doing it after the embossing, too, with a harder ink pad.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I've seen some that are pretty amazing but I've never tried anything other than backgrounds. I used Distress Ink on a watercolor paper-type texture paper and really liked how they turned out. It was probably beginner's luck because it was a very rare event when I thought, "I wonder what would happen if I did this" and then actually tried it.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

pamcook wrote:I've seen some that are pretty amazing but I've never tried anything other than backgrounds. I used Distress Ink on a watercolor paper-type texture paper and really liked how they turned out. It was probably beginner's luck because it was a very rare event when I thought, "I wonder what would happen if I did this" and then actually tried it.

Now I can see possible good results with watercolor paper and Distress ink. Good idea. But once I've tried a technique 2 or 3 times with so-so results I typically move on to something else. Watercolor paper would be worth trying again.

Just had a thought...perhaps trying a spray rather than an ink pad. Like Distress Stains or mixing ink and water in a fine spray bottle.
FARLEY in Sacramento
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I've been coloring on Kraft all day today, at home and over at Wendy's house. Glitter pens are really your friend because they show up on it. Regular gel pens seem to just fade away as do many others. I'll try to make them into something and take a photo where they actually show up. :roll:
No promises though!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

mpizzazz wrote:I've been coloring on Kraft all day today, at home and over at Wendy's house. Glitter pens are really your friend because they show up on it. Regular gel pens seem to just fade away as do many others. I'll try to make them into something and take a photo where they actually show up. :roll:
No promises though!

Oh yay! Looking forward to your cards. What gel pens are you using? My Sakura Gelly Rolls are wonderful on kraft and show up really well and opaque. I have another set (don't know type) that are lousy on kraft and just look watery.
FARLEY in Sacramento
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

paddlegal wrote:
mpizzazz wrote:I've been coloring on Kraft all day today, at home and over at Wendy's house. Glitter pens are really your friend because they show up on it. Regular gel pens seem to just fade away as do many others. I'll try to make them into something and take a photo where they actually show up. :roll:
No promises though!

Oh yay! Looking forward to your cards. What gel pens are you using? My Sakura Gelly Rolls are wonderful on kraft and show up really well and opaque. I have another set (don't know type) that are lousy on kraft and just look watery.
I only have a few old gel pens that are Gelly Rolls and a few old Creative Memories Metallic pens that are still wonderful. The glitter pens were Wendy's and I don't know what they are. I also tried some Pitt Pens for the basic colors with the glitter pens over the top.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

I'm posting these here because my intent was to do them with Kraft paper, but, alas, I'm OUT! And it's in my amazon cart for our next order. I went through the stash (which you'd think would have a stray kraft sheet somewhere as I have enough paper for my own store, but NO!) and found this purple that is very kraft like, both in feel and look, so I'm going with it. Came across this old die in a drawer last week and been wanting to play with it so yesterday was the day.

Oh, and bonus points for actually opening the yummy purple ink (instead of stashing it for a year) that Farley sent in the kit exchange last month and it was the perfect color!
Attachments
PurpleKraftCards2.jpg
PurpleKraftCards2.jpg (83.77 KiB) Viewed 281 times
PurpleKraftCards1.jpg
PurpleKraftCards1.jpg (93.56 KiB) Viewed 281 times