2016 November Card Sketch Challenge - Gift Card Wallet

paddlegal

2016 November Card Sketch Challenge - Gift Card Wallet

Post by paddlegal »

It's that time of year when we need a few gift cards to give for hostess gifts, thank yous, stocking stuffers, that hard-to-gift teenager, etc. So here is an easy gift card wallet to make in no time at all. Make multiples to have on hand. This is another great use of those 6x6 patterned paper pads languishing in your craft room.

I thought this version would be a great hostess gift at Thanksgiving.
Attachments
IMG_0284.JPG
IMG_0284.JPG (114.34 KiB) Viewed 612 times
IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG (74.81 KiB) Viewed 612 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
paddlegal

Re: 2016 November Card Sketch Challenge

Post by paddlegal »

Now for the easy instructions.

Here are the measurements…

Base card 10″x4 1/4″ which is scored at 3″ – 4″ – 5″ and 8″

To decorate you will need 4 rectangles 2 3/4″ x 4″ and

2 rectangles 1 3/4″ x 4″ of patterned paper.

Once you have the base cut you will want to mountain fold the 4" and 5" together to create the pop up portion. Once folded I took an oval punch to create the curve and then sliced slits just long enough to fit a gift card. You will then want to glue this fold BUT be sure to only glue the edges or you won't be able to insert the card. Ask me how I know this! :lol:

I used two different patterned papers for this one. I also used a 1/8" corner rounder for the sharp edges. Next measure a belly band of some kind to fully encircle the case. It will keep it shut and also prevent the gift card from slipping out the bottom. Embellish the belly band and you have a pretty cool card case.

Hopefully I haven't forgotten anything. It's nearly midnight...as usual I get my ideas around 11pm.

Have fun with this!
Attachments
IMG_0286.JPG
IMG_0286.JPG (112.78 KiB) Viewed 611 times
IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0287.JPG (120.32 KiB) Viewed 611 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
katymjo

Re: 2016 November Card Sketch Challenge - Gift Card Wallet

Post by katymjo »

Just when I was wondering how I could make a gift card look more like a gift, you come along with the perfect solution! Thankyou Farley!
Kathryn.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

So cute!
I see so many ideas for gift card wrapping but they're so bulky, they would only work if you were delivering them in person.
This could easily be mailed. I should make some to have on hand for different occasions.
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Oh my goodness - I love this!!! So you've probably seen by now that my girl scout troop is doing a couple of craft fairs in December to try to raise money for a trip - I think I may add a bunch of these to our inventory! We've kind of got 2-3 main target things we're trying to make, but told the girls if they wanted to make something of their own to sell, they could.

I'm going to see if I can sit with Nicole tonight, and get her to follow these instructions and maybe make a bulk of them over the next month to sell at our booths.

Thanks!
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Yes indeedy, I like this a lot. So much so in fact, that I sat right down and made one this morning. Thanksgiving is but a memory here, but I do give several gift cards as Christmas gifts - especially timely this year as one of Cameron's swim team fundraisers is selling gift cards. I have lots of partly used sheets of Christmas paper, tons of coloured cardstock that I never use any more, and more than a couple Christmas stamps that need to see a little more action.

I, too, thought 'bazaar craft' when I first saw it, but I'd need to either recruit a team or get a whole lot faster at making them assembly-line fashion to make it worthwhile. If I thought I'd do that I might even invest in a seasonal punch; even my die-cutter got put to use this morning. I also like that I can either write a message inside or choose to leave it blank so it can be reused. So thanks Farley, this was fun. Let the Christmas crafting begin!
Attachments
DSCN3039_r.jpg
DSCN3039_r.jpg (97.64 KiB) Viewed 582 times
DSCN3043_4.jpg
DSCN3043_4.jpg (125.94 KiB) Viewed 582 times
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Keitha - that's beautiful!

I totally agree that if you wanted to make a bunch of them, that it would make sense to make them assembly line style. With my daughter, I figured I'd have her make one whole one tonight, just to see what she thought, but then I'd have her do it assembly line style. One night she'd just cut a bunch of bases, then another night a bunch of patterned paper, then die cut the outer embellishments, etc. I'll probably have her make some birthday ones and some all-occasion ones too. Since I'm donating the supplies, I'll just keep whatever doesn't sell for my own personal use. But I'm excited at the possibility of finding something that we can legitimately say is 100% crafted by a girl in the troop. Those kinds of items are hard to come by. ;-)
Julie Fugina
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Definitely something she can totally make herself. Have you thought about how much they'd sell for?

While my focus in the short term will be Christmas, I agree with making some that would work for other occasions: birthday, anniversary, graduation, etc. I was also thinking that themed papers could be used to coordinate with the gift cards themselves, making them suitable for any occasion - coffee, gaming, construction, wine, book or music themed, etc.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Those are all great ideas Keitha! Who knows, we may make hundreds of these before all is said and done. :lol:

As far as selling price, I found almost exactly this design on etsy selling for $3 a piece, and I think that's actually pretty reasonable. I saw some other designs (looked like larger cards overall) that were as high as $4.95 per, and some others that seemed far more detailed for as little as $10 for a pack of 5. But I think we'd start with $3, and maybe offer a 2/$5 deal or something like that.

I'm excited about this!! I'm anxious to see what Nicole pulls out of my stash to make these with. :-)
Julie Fugina
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

I'd pay 3.00, especially because it's a Girl Scout fundraiser. Our Hobby Days is coming up here where local people rent a space at the Community Complex and sell their home made items. I like going but it's a bunch of people and lots of baby strollers. Hard to get around in the smaller places.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Debbie - the craft fairs we're doing are fundraisers in and of themselves - we have to pay an entry fee to participate. One of them is for the high school band boosters, so I can certainly get behind that! The other place we're setting up as at a Breakfast with Santa event at the elementary school my kids go/went to. That entry fee is less, and it goes to the PTO. They seem to do a good job of funding reasonable things (like technology for the classrooms, and playground equipment and such).

The other great thing about this gift card project, is that you don't see a lot of paper crafts being sold anymore. So it's not like there will be a ton of vendors selling these things and competing with us. I've considered throwing in my entire stash of greeting cards too, just because of that.
Julie Fugina
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

how cool
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Yay Keitha! Your card wallet is terrific and boy did you jump on this one! Thank you. Your ideas are right in line with what I was thinking in regards to themes to match the gift card. I plan on making several coffee themes and then something cool/teenager-ish for my niece for Christmas.

Julie, brilliant idea for your troop's fundraiser. I was thinking how easy it would be to make it more "purse" like by just adding a fiber strap/handle to it. Also how about metallic card stock for a fancier/glitzier look...you could possibly add a dollar to the price?

Love all the suggestions happening here and happy that this has generated so much enthusiasm.
FARLEY in Sacramento
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

I had a shot at a gift-card holder too. Thankyou or the instructions, Farley.
Kathryn.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (85.53 KiB) Viewed 551 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (84.95 KiB) Viewed 551 times
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Very bright and cheery!