Hosting and Participating In Swaps/Updated

pbp908

Re: Hosting and Participating In Swaps/Updated

Post by pbp908 »

Please remember that these are what came from the prior discussion. Not all of these are mine, although I love some of them.

1 - Communication. Communication. Communication. On both sides.
2 - Hostesses - Set a time for turnaround after receipt. Don't hang onto them.
3 - Hostesses - Set ground rules.
4 - Set a drop-by date so spot can be filled.
5 - If someone has stopped communicating on the board and won't answer emails, post a black list.
6 - Packages received after the deadline are returned unopened.
7 - Flakers not allowed to join more swaps for a predetermined time.
8 - If late, the swapper, not the hostess, mails individually.
9 - 3 strikes and you're out.
10- Swap round robin style so nobody who participates is left out.
11 - My favorite - set a date that is the absolute last day that you will accept receipts. This is not a "mail by" date but a "received" date.
12 - A lot of people like that the hostess updates the participant list with "received."
13 - A warning to flakes, spelled out in advance in the rules, delivered by the mods.
14 - Donna K's post, which I'll try to get in one piece below:
1) You cannot host a swap until you have successfully participated in 3 separate swaps (different hostesses). . . that means "well made" (something you would want to receive) and sent "on time." If you cannot do this three times in a row, you are not permitted to host a swap and you are put on a "slow list."
2) When hosting a swap, you must communicate regularly with the participants (like we do here, posting little hints and photos of swap items). Usually this is done in private emails or PMs instead of a general thread.
3) If you must drop out, contact the hostess asap and let her know so she can arrange an angel if needed. Emergencies such as surgery, death in the family, etc. are excused always.
4) If you send swap items late, they will be sent back (except if there are several late ones and the group has agreed to wait - again, communication) using the postage you have sent with the package. If you still want to be a part of the swap, it is the late one's responsibility to send out individual swap items to each participant - when the hostess has been notified that all have been rec'd, and has rec'd adequate postage for returning to the late one, then she will send out the other swap items.
5) If you are late once, you are placed on a slow list and a hostess may ask the list moderator for this list. If you have been late twice or otherwise not fulfilled swap participation (determined by the hostess), then you will be banned from swapping on the list, but may still share ideas and comments and chatter.
6) When hosting, be very specific about what is required - example, how much postage; is the due date a hard date or can someone be a day or two late, do you need postage or cash or a check, etc.
These rules may seem rigid but remember that if all participants are communicating, then the hostess has the last say and many of these rules do not even phase participants. I just had to send an address list to a late participant, but also sent a message to the swap group and told them our expectations for the late one - she is to send items individually (2 week deadline for this) and email me and the other moderators when she sends the items out. This was a large swap - 12 items each and one person dropped due to a death in the family; we will be RAKing her the swap as agreed by all the participants. Communication is the key.

I think that there are a lot of good ideas here and love what Donna posted.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

excellent excellent excellent.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Christy! Are you home???? Love the photo of Ryleigh and her new friend.
Pam P.

ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

Just walked in the door. And aren't they the cutest. She kills me.

Sorry for the hijack.
All that has been posted is appropriate. And what it all boils down to is respect. Respect for yourself and honoring your obligations and respect for your fellow swappers and the art they are creating for you as well.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Didn't mean to disappear - we're on round 2 of thunderstorms here. Lost power for a bit.

I tried the chat room to see if we can have a roundtable discussion there tonight, but it didn't work for me. Anyone else want to try it?

And in true Ouiser vein, my poor dog is on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Thursday night's storms (all night) have turned him into a quivering 80 pound jellyfish now. I just spent the last hour with him in my lap quivering.
Pam P.

ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

Poor baby. Give him a hug and pat from us. Can't chat tonight inlaws are still here (sigh)