Hosting and Participating In Swaps/Updated

Cathy

Re: Hosting and Participating In Swaps

Post by Cathy »

She scared me! LOL!
I have only been in one of Luanne's swaps - ATC Vintage Halloween swap and it went very well and I got some very nice ATC's.
Cathy:)
pbp908

Re: Hosting and Participating In Swaps

Post by pbp908 »

Anyone remember this discussion from two years ago? Do we need to revive this, go through it for suggestions, ask for more? Should those who have been burned by some let hostesses know that there's been a problem? Or do you all think we should have a "black ball" list? Should a hostess have the right to inform an individual that their participation in a swap is not wanted?

Personally, I don't think there's an easy answer. I think that some of what happens is just the risk that you take when you agree to host or participate in a swap. I've been burned - we've all been burned.

Suggestions?
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pbp908

Re: Hosting and Participating In Swaps/Updated

Post by pbp908 »

Another thought - What should the moderators role be in this? Do you think that a hostess who's having a problem should PM one of us and ask us to mediate?

I think now is the perfect time for everyone to weigh in and let's get ground rules established.
Pam P.

azemigh

Post by azemigh »

pbp908 wrote:Another thought - What should the moderators role be in this? Do you think that a hostess who's having a problem should PM one of us and ask us to mediate?

I think now is the perfect time for everyone to weigh in and let's get ground rules established.
I like this idea. And as I posted in response to Julie's suggestion some sort of probation for newbies and past offenders who want to rejoin in swapping.
Ruth Ann Landry

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

When I've hostessed a swap, I've taken the responsibility of "getting on someone's back" if it needed to be done...as long as a player lets me know via PM that she's having a problem getting things back. Of course, there's only so much you can do....for instance, I hostessed the tin can swap, but can't go to Japan to get it.....but I think it's the hostesses responsibilty to do the best she can to get that swap finished...after that, if someone flaked, did not respond to PMs, did not return art, does not frequest board...then the moderator should be told and the person can be warned and then do a probationary period one time only...if it's repeated, the moderator can remove the person from the boards....anyone???
julierealtor

Post by julierealtor »

I would agree with that Ruth Ann.
Ruth Ann Landry

....and to go one step further, I think the probationary warning should be a short note that is posted in the rules so that we all know what it says and the moderators do not have to be writing what they may feel are threatening notes to people...I don't believe in passing the buck!
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Ooooh Rachelle - Just noticed your siggie! Love it!

Sorry, short attention span.

I'll go through all of the posts in this topic and make of list of all suggestions to date. Then we can see what everyone can live with. I think at the end of this last time it was decided that the hostesses would make their own ground rules. It doesn't look like that's worked out very well, so maybe we need to set site swap rules. We don't want to be so restrictive that people won't participate.
Pam P.

djenns

Post by djenns »

I know I was guilty in this last RR ATC's.........I had them sitting here and just kept procrastinating.......I had a hard time trying to find what to do with them.....and then had them in envelopes but went off over the weekend and forgot to mail until Holly sent me a pm asking. I don't think I've rec'd the ones that I did the first part on yet.......

when I finally got back into doing anything I overloaded myself and I've said I'll only do the OCAM and Bday and monthly card swap for now.........I apologize for being a part of the problem. I know there are more that don't follow through....and I don't mind getting "friendly" reminders...

Diana
Ruth Ann Landry

haha pam i did the same thing....here's what i copy and pasted:
AS A PLAYER
-Seriously think if you can do the requirements in the alloted time
Communicate with the hostess
It's nice to want to play in all the really great swaps going on here but if you can't DON"T SIGN UP, or Drop with notice to the hostess-let her
find someone to take your spot. Live Vicariously through what others post and play next time around.

AS A HOSTESS
-be very clear about what you expect. More detail is better than less.
-Communicate with your players-let them know what is going on.
-Mail back in a timely manner-it's nice once everyone gets them to you to turn around and get them back out soon (don't schedule a due
date when you know something big is going to happen -ie a swap on another site the girl scheduled the due date for the day her baby
was to be born UM hello--guarentee you won't be swapping)

It all boils down to consideration
g:
Ruth Ann Landry

As a host and player in a lot of swaps I fully understand your concerns. I have been totally brutal with flakers for a while now if their packages arrive too late I just put return to sender on the unopened envelope and send the package back. At the same time I email the miscreant and let her know that it is not acceptable to be late.

another group that I belong to the owner has swaps all the time. She does not extend the time at all. If your swap is not to her on the day it is due too bad. She does the swaps and if any packages arrive late they are returned unopened and the person who flaked is not allowed to join another swap for a certain period of time. No ifs, ands or buts. She still has those that flake but everyone knows how she handles it so there are no excuses. She knows life happens but people are waiting and she doesn't hold up the swap.
1) You cannot host a swap until you have successfully participated in 3 separate swaps (different hostesses). . . that means "well made" (something you would want to receive) and sent "on time." If you cannot do this three times in a row, you are not permitted to host a swap and you are put on a "slow list."
2) When hosting a swap, you must communicate regularly with the participants (like we do here, posting little hints and photos of swap items). Usually this is done in private emails or PMs instead of a general thread.
3) If you must drop out, contact the hostess asap and let her know so she can arrange an angel if needed. Emergencies such as surgery, death in the family, etc. are excused always.
4) If you send swap items late, they will be sent back (except if there are several late ones and the group has agreed to wait - again, communication) using the postage you have sent with the package. If you still want to be a part of the swap, it is the late one's responsibility to send out individual swap items to each participant - when the hostess has been notified that all have been rec'd, and has rec'd adequate postage for returning to the late one, then she will send out
Ruth Ann Landry

the other swap items.
5) If you are late once, you are placed on a slow list and a hostess may ask the list moderator for this list. If you have been late twice or otherwise not fulfilled swap participation (determined by the hostess), the you will be banned from swapping on the list, but may still share ideas and comments and chatter.
6) When hosting, be very specific about what is required - example, how much postage; is the due date a hard date or can someone be a day or two late, do you need postage or cash or a check, etc.

I just posted something on the other board and it made me think to add it here: I think part of the problem with swaps (other than the occasional all out flakes that sign up and then disappear...and there really are very few of those people.) is the concept of a deadline (due date, whatever!) The English teacher in my high school says this about deadlines....."Deadlines are the ABSOLUTE LAST DATE that something can be turned in"...it's not when something MUST be turned in (unless we are in a swap with a mass mailing...like the tin can swap), but the latest date something SHOULD ARRIVE ON THE DOORSTEP OF THE HOSTESS! I think many people think they can wait until that very last day to mail their art....that means another week the hostess has to wait to get them....and then there is usually someone who mails one or two days after the last date...which holds things up further......look at the deadline as the date that the hostess should HAVE THE ART IN HER HANDS!..I'm far from perfect, but I always TRY to mail my things out so that the hostess will have them BY that date
Ruth Ann Landry

there are some of the ideas i gleaned from the old posts....at least the ones that had a little "teeth" in them....
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

Excellent points to bring up again Ruth Ann
Ruth Ann Landry

I would be happy to work on a list of rules with anyone that would want to telephone conference with me....after all, DH is still recuperating and grumpy as all hell!