Free Art Journal year long challenge

Got one? Know of a good one?
pamcook

Re: Free Art Journal year long challenge

Post by pamcook »

This looks like fun. Only 6 more semesters (after this one) and I get my life back...assuming I don't win the lottery first.

At first, I thought Donna's classes were too expensive. Then I realized she sells all her spaces. Every time. Then I thought, "If one of my friends started selling classes for $800. per person and got rich, I'd be extremely happy for them." I just wish I had $800 to spend on classes without becoming homeless. ;) All that being said, I think I might learn a lot if I just worked with what I know more often. I've learned so much from my PAO sisters (not just schmoozing here!). If I just practiced a little of it, I'd feel accomplished!
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Ok, another question: what are you doing first to prepare your thin pages in your planner?
I am doing a journal using a book with thin paper. From Keitha, I learned about Absorbent Ground from Golden when you want to watercolor on the pages. It is doing a good job of keeping the paint from leaking through the pages but I don't know if it would take the heavier products you are using.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

gesso
front and back…I'm finding it is holding up fairly well.
clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

mpizzazz wrote:Ok, another question: what are you doing first to prepare your thin pages in your planner?
I am doing a journal using a book with thin paper. From Keitha, I learned about Absorbent Ground from Golden when you want to watercolor on the pages. It is doing a good job of keeping the paint from leaking through the pages but I don't know if it would take the heavier products you are using.
I'm doing both of these, mentioned. I just haven't posted any pictures.

Marianne, I am doing DLP as a written daily journal. I started doing this when I retired so this year is along the same lines as I have done in the past. I've added art work in my other journals but this year I am incorporating the challenges. I am using a Mead planner and there is a page for each day for me to journal. I don't really need a daily planner, the month view works for me.

The challenege pages are done on separate pages and taped in with washi tape as a tip in. That way I can use any kind of paper I want. It seems to be working so far. Some people doing tip ins have put their blank pages already taped in for the year. I would rather tape mine in when finished with the page. I like to work flat.

I put matte medium over the area I want to put art if it is on one of the pages already on the planner, but not on the whole page.
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Thanks, Christy and Carol,
I didn't start out to do these journal projects but was going to do the No More Excuses Journal class with Gina Rossi Arnfield. Keitha had started it and didn't think it was what I wanted. I liked the idea of using a book I've had for about 10 years that has hundreds of pages for a year long journal. And the Absorbent Ground for prepping thin pages is supposed to be for watercoloring on as opposed to gesso which I think resists watercolor. You both probably know better than I do
What I wanted was a basic watercolor class not mixed media. I signed up for Watercolor Bliss and Create Daily (which is just for 30 days) with Alisa Burke. Mostly I am doing the Create Daily now until I finish that.

Then I found out about these two yearly journal prompt projects. I did read all the prep for the Journal 52 book but I still want to use my book and have my focus be on watercolors and maybe just a bit of mixed media if I feel like it. If I were doing all mixed media, the Journal52 book would be a much better idea.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

week 3…incorporate an envelope
Attachments
DropMeANotewk3CB.jpg
DropMeANotewk3CB.jpg (336.8 KiB) Viewed 163 times
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

One of my favorites so far!
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Oh, that's nice. What a great way to use all those postal stamps both rubber and real that we all have. I can't find an envelope, we went to the recycling last week!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Very nice! I went ahead and joined the group; looked for a planner at the store and couldn't find anything I liked, but I did find a journal I made several years ago that has 50 pages in it so I think I'll use that; now to start catching up! ;)
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

Christy, your pages are amazing! I really need to jump in and give this a try.
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

I got started today and completed the first page, Front Door. You can tell by the cover that I made this Raven's Claw journal in about 2007 when that CS kit came out, finally found something to do with it. hehehe!
Attachments
WK1FrontDoor.jpg
WK1FrontDoor.jpg (76.29 KiB) Viewed 146 times
RavensClawCover.jpg
RavensClawCover.jpg (60.84 KiB) Viewed 146 times
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

very pretty
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

love the shells & corrugated cardboard
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

You did a great job of getting the photo incorporated into the page. Not always easy to do!
Pam Cook #48
Paula

Post by Paula »

Well done!!