Online class review

Got one? Know of a good one?
pamcook

Online class review

Post by pamcook »

Last month, I paid for an online class at Studio Calico. Kelly Purkey was the instructor and the class focused on design sketches (dozens of sketches! but most were variations of the sketch of the day). I think I paid $29? Not more than that. I received an acrylic stamp set for "free" when I signed up. Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday a sketch was posted with color photos of scrapbook pages and cards completed by 2-3 other people along with the page by Kelly Purkey.
While they were all nice, I was sadly underwhelmed with the class. I feel like there are so many sketches out there for free and there was really no instruction about design or color theory or anything like that - I want more out of a class I pay for. It seemed geared toward beginning scrapbookers as well.
I have a small notebook of the print outs and access to the videos (4 maybe?).
I'd say if you have been scrapbooking for more than a year, it's not really worth the money.
Pam Cook #48
nancine

Re: Online class review

Post by nancine »

Last year Farley and I took a stamping class there. Same feelings. It was nothing new, fairly basic and really boring. I wrote in comments to them that I wish they would state in class description that it was geared toward beginners. It was a big disappointment.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Good to know.
Pam Cook #48
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Speaking of online classes, I am toying with the idea of a couple of classes once my Hello Story finishes in two weeks.

One is Ali Edwards Yesterday and Today. It was originally offered on BPC but now she is selling it directly. I've already purchased the digital elements for the class so I probably should go ahead and do it. Just curious if anyone here has taken it and found it beneficial???

Same question for Catherine Davis' Process class through BPC. This pertains to this thread somewhat because she is associated with Studio Calico and I know the experiences there have been less than satisfactory. I don't know if that has to do with them or her??? Anyway, I've been stalking her for awhile and wonder if I would benefit from her Process class???? Anyone take it the first time???

As you can tell, I am itching to take classes. So if anyone has a SCRAPBOOK focused class to recommend, I would appreciate any input!!!
Thanks.
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I signed up at BPC for a class that starts in July. It's with Stacey
we will make a small album with photos of things we love. I know she won't teach
anything new but I need some motivation.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Sometimes any class is a good class if it motivates you to get moving again.

This was my first SC class so I really can't answer. I feel like sometimes I can tell from the description - usually not. I think Ali Edwards would give you more design theory. People do rave about her classes. If they're $30 or less, I don't complain too much. When I pay more than that, I whine and complain when they're more for beginners (and not advertised as such).

Let us know your experience!
Pam Cook #48
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

by the way I took Mays class that had several teachers and I loved it.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO

Northeast Illinois
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

"Mays class"?
At BPC?
Pam Cook #48
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

Sorry it's on Mays blog
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO

Northeast Illinois
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Oh...May Flaum.
I was confused ;)
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

nancine wrote:Last year Farley and I took a stamping class there. Same feelings. It was nothing new, fairly basic and really boring. I wrote in comments to them that I wish they would state in class description that it was geared toward beginners. It was a big disappointment.

Pam, Nancy has described our experience with Studio Calico to the letter. I was bummed and disappointed. I also recall that my "free" stamp set didn't show up until after the class started and I registered well in advance. They've been on my "never again" list because of dull content and a sense of lack in enthusiasm. Now you have had a similar experience. Sorry yours wasn't up to snuff either. I do enjoy classes that inspire me even if it isn't all that new. Even when I haven't kept up with the lessons, I have enjoyed all of the classes at OnlineCardClasses and will refer back to them. But they focus on cards of course rather than scrapping. I know Jen has really enjoyed the Ali Edwards class she mentioned. That might be a good one to look into.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

jmp1022 wrote:I signed up at BPC for a class that starts in July. It's with Stacey
we will make a small album with photos of things we love. I know she won't teach
anything new but I need some motivation.
I debated signing up for that class - Stacy always packs a TON of content into her classes. I find that, even if I don't learn anything new, if I scrap along with the lessons I get a lot accomplished. But sadly my work schedule meant I couldn't participate in real time with the class and I'm notoriously bad at no going back later, so in this instance I decided to pass.