Swatch this!

Save some $ Find out what works
Keitha

Swatch this!

Post by Keitha »

Today I swatched my pigment powders and labeled the bottles - which will make working with Brushos in particular so much easier. A la Sandy Allnock, for each Brusho colour I did a swatch by sprinkling some powder and spritzing it with water, and then for the lids I mixed a bit of powder with water and painted it on. In some cases the pre-mixed paint is quite a different look than you get when you just sprinkle the powder, so this way I have both to refer to. For my few Color Burst powders I created the swatch the same way, but as these colours tend not to separate felt there wasn't a need for a second swatch - plus the colours appear on the bottles. It's interesting to compare the differences in colours between the two companies; I have a Turquoise and a Lime Green from both companies, but they are not the same. As you can see I've pierced a hole in the lids of the Brushos, and closed it with a thumbtack.
Attachments
DSCN4020_r.jpg
DSCN4020_r.jpg (207.82 KiB) Viewed 552 times
DSCN4021_r.jpg
DSCN4021_r.jpg (186.57 KiB) Viewed 552 times
Keitha

Re: Swatch this!

Post by Keitha »

Here's a look at how my swatch book is coming along; this will be a work in progress for awhile yet. I've printed colour charts from the companies who provide them like Ranger, and for others am making my own. In all cases I'm using blank charts and colouring them myself; I've never bothered with this before but have been amazed at the difference being able to quickly compare actual samples has made, rather than 'audition' a few each time I work on a project. For media like Alcohol Inks and Vintaj Patinas I've laminated the sheets before swatching to get an accurate colour sample.
After seeing Diana Trout's swatch book I decided on using the ARC binding system; there was an initial investment for the punch, but have the ability to offset papers if I want a side-by-side comparison - which will be beneficial when I do my watercolour paints. I modified a folder from Staples for my cover, and am impressed with how well this silly disc system works. A time-consuming project to be sure, but one which has been quite satisfying.
Attachments
DSCN4023_r.jpg
DSCN4023_r.jpg (248.87 KiB) Viewed 551 times
DSCN4022_r.jpg
DSCN4022_r.jpg (211.56 KiB) Viewed 551 times
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Impressive! I can see the value of having them but I am entirely too lazy. I should probably be embarrassed to admit that. If I had done a color chart years ago, I probably wouldn't have so many mists!
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

pamcook wrote:Impressive! I can see the value of having them but I am entirely too lazy. I should probably be embarrassed to admit that. If I had done a color chart years ago, I probably wouldn't have so many mists!
Not necessarily true Pam; I'm learning that you really have to try the specific product to get an accurate read on it. So many things look different in the bottle/container, and you rarely get a change to try them in the store first.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Well...I might not have had so many duplicates or too-similar colors. I get your point though.
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Those swatch sheets all look so nice. The diamond shapes for the powders are really gorgeous. I'd want to look at that all the time!

I should test all my ALs, I seem to have a lot of blah colors I never use and wonder if the color has shifted on those.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

very nice sheets
I started mine when the ranger charts came out but never kept it up.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I think you should frame the diamond swatches. Gorgeous! I said it earlier but you've used your time extremely well making swatches as well as LOs! I should be so organized. Thanks for sharing this.
FARLEY in Sacramento
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Amazing work Keitha! You are so very organized.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I need to do this with my mists. Great job and so organized.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I'm thinking about doing something like Jennifer McGuire's swatch book... they're in sections by colors and then marked by manufacturer so she can color-match things and then find the right inkpads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9LAnJxviJQ
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

nchoney wrote:I'm thinking about doing something like Jennifer McGuire's swatch book... they're in sections by colors and then marked by manufacturer so she can color-match things and then find the right inkpads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9LAnJxviJQ

This useful organizing is making my brain hurt. :lol:
FARLEY in Sacramento
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Don't let it hurt too much.... I'm only thinking about it... LOL

I DID run a bunch of medium sized tags through with my embossing folders at one time... they're all on a big key ring thingy.... but then I didn't keep up with it so I'll have to go back and see which ones I need to add.... of course I never look at the darn thing.. I just flip through the folders
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

Keitha, what a great swatch book you've done! Something like 20 years ago, when I first got into stamping, I did that for my inks, embossing powders and stamps. But many moons later I wouldn't even know where to start to do a new one. You're doing great.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

nchoney wrote:Don't let it hurt too much.... I'm only thinking about it... LOL

I DID run a bunch of medium sized tags through with my embossing folders at one time... they're all on a big key ring thingy.... but then I didn't keep up with it so I'll have to go back and see which ones I need to add.... of course I never look at the darn thing.. I just flip through the folders

I did the same thing with my embossing folders. Embossed a pile of tags that I keep in a box with the embossing folders. NEVER look at them. I flip through the folders like you do. :roll: I should just take those tags, swipe them with ink and turn them into cards some way.
FARLEY in Sacramento