Minc - my adventures

Save some $ Find out what works
Keitha

Re: Minc - my adventures

Post by Keitha »

Disclaimer: I don't own a Minc. I do own a laminator but haven't tried foiling with it yet. Recently there was a ScrapGals podcast where all they talked about was foiling. Some tips I heard on using the Minc/a laminator:
- that really cheap laminator from Walmart just doesn't work
- let your machine heat up really well before using. Like for 20 minutes or so
- use parchment paper or thin copy paper as a transfer folder. you need the heat to get to the foil/toner so it will adhere
- if you're not getting good coverage, try printing at the 'best' setting so more toner is applied

A couple ideas heard on the podcast/elsewhere I thought were interesting:
- try foiling vellum
- diecuts from Pretty Little Studio are printed using toner ink, and foil beautifully. Worth investigating other products that might be as well - especially from small companies. I've got some old Tattered Tangles I bought in TM when I was in the OBX last year that I'm going to try

I haven't tried this, but I suspect the foil acts as a resist - I know the Krylon leafing pen does. It would be fun to foil something and then watercolour over it.

Lastly, something I can't understand. I've seen things foiled where there's some kind of colour image, and only one part - maybe a sentiment for example - is foiled. But if you apply the sheet of foil over your image and send it through the machine, what keeps the foil from sticking to the whole image? Assuming it was printed as a single image - maybe that's the key.
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I've been doing a bit of foiling lately with DecoArt glue. The results aren't great but I want to use up the foils I have. And then NOT buy more. But I'm not thrilled with the coverage. Don't have a toner printer and don't want another device to find a home for in my mess.
Good luck with the Minc. You inspired me to use those foils.

One question I have for you people, is why couldn't I just use a regular glue? One that dries fairly quickly like tacky glue. Has anyone tried it? Won't kill me to try.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

ScrappinJen wrote:I've been doing a bit of foiling lately with DecoArt glue. The results aren't great but I want to use up the foils I have. And then NOT buy more. But I'm not thrilled with the coverage. Don't have a toner printer and don't want another device to find a home for in my mess.

One question I have for you people, is why couldn't I just use a regular glue? One that dries fairly quickly like tacky glue. Has anyone tried it? Won't kill me to try.
I used a tacky glue and faux gold foil sheets. It worked well-enough for me. I wasn't looking for fine-details. For sure give it a try!
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

ScrappinJen wrote:I've been doing a bit of foiling lately with DecoArt glue. The results aren't great but I want to use up the foils I have. And then NOT buy more. But I'm not thrilled with the coverage. Don't have a toner printer and don't want another device to find a home for in my mess.

Tacky glue definitely works, both for foil and gold leaf. That's one of the first 'mixed media' techniques I learned to put on a scrapbook page - back in about 2003. One thing I will say about using a wet tacky glue with foil, is it's hard to get a really smooth application. I've done it a couple times but find the brush/finger/applicator marks show in the foil if you look closely. Doesn't bother me on layouts, but you might not like it on an otherwise crisp and clean card. You can also use any kind of 2-sided tape or sheet adhesive; stick the foil to one side and the other to your project. Or even something like fun foam; stick the foil to the adhesive side of the foam and adhere for a dimensional effect. Pop dots work, as do glue dots... I think we need a challenge...
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

That was one of my dissatisfactions, Keitha. I can see the bumpiness of the glue beneath the foil. I also just didn't get coverage the way I would like it. But I will use it up. I thought of using other adhesives and I don't know why they wouldn't work. Why does there have to be this "SPECIAL" glue they want to sell us. Because they want to sell it.
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

Thanks for the tips, Keitha. As for your question, yes, you can cut the foil small and only put it over me part of the design. Also, it doesn't stick to everything that is black. Only certain black images. I have never had any trouble with it not covering. Mine may have gotten stuck once, but no big deal. It (mine is an Anna Griffin) works really well. I just don't use shiny stuff very often. I also have some glitter paper that works very well. I have never experimented much with it. I received so many images with my machine that I just haven't needed to make much.

Judy
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Whoohhhoooooo.... they're going to send out a new Minc mini to me.... super customer support from American Crafts!!
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

That's great!
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

And Tuesday Morning had foils today. Lots of colors and great prices!
Debi Daugherty
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

An update on the saga of the unruly Minc.... I did get the replacement from American Crafts... (awesome customer service!!) and finally got a chance to see how it would work... tested it a little Saturday night... and some more yesterday... this one works like a charm and is not overheating like that other one did... so... it WAS faulty... whew!! I did a bunch of foiling... used several varieties of foil and cardstock... so I think I'm on a roll, now... this is a cool idea... (easier for me because I can print things on the huge copier at work and get a good laser print)...
Debi Daugherty
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts