Ranger's Letter It?

Save some $ Find out what works
Keitha

Ranger's Letter It?

Post by Keitha »

Apparently I was ignoring quite a bit of stuff in the crafty world while I was working. Just read something about Ranger's 'new' Letter It line of products; isn't a lot of this the same stuff just with a new name? Perfect Pearls, various substrates, embossing ink, clear stamps, etc. Looks to me like they're trying to cash in on the popularity of the hand-lettering craze.

I just read a tutorial that uses both embossing powders and perfect pearls on the same project. Correct me if I'm wrong, but why do you need both embossing ink and perfect medium for these two products? I've always used embossing ink with my perfect pearls; in fact prefer VersaMark's brand to the Ranger products. Am I missing something?
paddlegal

Re: Ranger's Letter It?

Post by paddlegal »

Hahaha...Keitha I was wondering the same thing. An interesting name of products we pretty much already use. The only thing that got my attention were the actual stamps of the various type of greetings. I do like the look of the script style.
FARLEY in Sacramento
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I'm guessing they have a ton of Perfect Pearls they need to sell... LOL

I've watched a couple videos ... basically this is all geared toward utilizing the Perfect Pearls... which is fine with me... I've got plenty of them that I need to use, too!!
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

Personally I feel it's a re-branding of some items to entice a new market, or just to freshen things up. Either way, I'm fine with the Perfect Pearls I have. And Keitha, I agree with you on Versamark. I've had the same Versamark pad for over ten years and it still works fine with the occasional reinking, but in the same amount of time I have had several Perfect Medium pads, bought at different times, pretty much dissolve or harden to almost rock solid.

Be nice to see more videos on using the Perfect Pearls I had to have a few years back though.... :lol:
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I know I have a bag of Perfect Pearls somewhere. Remember when I ordered them to use instead of enamel dots? Well, that never happened and the last time I did a clean up, I put the bag-o-perfect pearls somewhere. Surely they'll eventually turn up.
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

It all looks very nice in its repackaging.
I wish I had gone the Perfect Pearl's route instead of Pearl Ex powders. I still have all of those little jars and would like to find some way to use them up in large quantities.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Paula

Post by Paula »

Wow. And i just cleaned and re organized my stash. I pulled those out, as i haven’t used them in years. Now i have to put them back in :dumbell:
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Strangely enough, I know where mine are. :lol:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
fuzzylover

Post by fuzzylover »

I'm so glad they are back - I too have a drawer of various colors that can now look "up to date" - LOL
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I have them also and will try using them this year.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Continuing this Letter-It discussion, while I was buying more Nuvo Deluxe Adhseive I figured I might as well make the postage worthwhile. I do like the greeting stamp sets but of course I waited too long and the two I was interested sold out. But I decided I liked the colors in one of the Ink cube sets and always a sucker for Ink I bought the set of brighter colors. They arrived today and I immediately tested them. It just shows you can’t judge colors by the lids. That pinkish color called Rose Madder (what’s a madder anyway?...not trying to be punny) is more of a rusty rose, the green is not “olive” as it’s called either. Only the French Ultramarine and Plum seem true. I do like all the colors fine but those two were not what I expected. Stamping wise the inks are very nice.
Attachments
2E12F023-D4DB-4CE1-B6D8-4B9B39966874.jpeg
2E12F023-D4DB-4CE1-B6D8-4B9B39966874.jpeg (94.41 KiB) Viewed 357 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Wow. I wonder if it’s another case of unstable colors (was is Distress Stain or Paint they had problems with?). I would send a photo and ask if your colors are true.

Rose Madder - the title of a Stephen King novel; https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... e%20madder
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Wow was exactly my first thought, also. You'd certainly expect the colour on the ink pad cover to be true - but now that I think about it quite a few of the Distress ink pad covers are misleading, too. And not only does that green not match the case, it's nowhere near 'olive'. I think Ranger's got some 'splainin' to do. I'd be tempted to send them back.

According to Wikipedia, Rose madder is the commercial name sometimes used to designate a red paint made from the pigment madder lake, a traditional lake pigment extracted from the common madder plant Rubia tinctorum. Madder lake contains two organic red dyes: alizarin and purpurin. The dictionary definition is a pale shade of pink.

Farley, do you keep a swatch book of all your inks? I need to get back to that project and add in the products I haven't done yet.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Keitha wrote:Wow was exactly my first thought, also. You'd certainly expect the colour on the ink pad cover to be true - but now that I think about it quite a few of the Distress ink pad covers are misleading, too. And not only does that green not match the case, it's nowhere near 'olive'. I think Ranger's got some 'splainin' to do. I'd be tempted to send them back.

According to Wikipedia, Rose madder is the commercial name sometimes used to designate a red paint made from the pigment madder lake, a traditional lake pigment extracted from the common madder plant Rubia tinctorum. Madder lake contains two organic red dyes: alizarin and purpurin. The dictionary definition is a pale shade of pink.

Farley, do you keep a swatch book of all your inks? I need to get back to that project and add in the products I haven't done yet.

Thanks Pam and Keitha for both of your definitions. I plan on sending this photo directly to
Ranger and see what happens. It’s not SSS’s fault which is where I ordered it. I had trouble with the Distress Markers changing colors and being unstable. Plus when I bought the big set, two of the markers were already dried out. I sent photos and full info of how I purchased them. I eventually got replacements but it easily took a month or more. The Distress line as great as it is definitely has had it’s problems.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Monica

Post by Monica »

The Rose Madder color was originally part of a limited edition Nick Bantock ink set from years ago, which came in square metal tins instead of the plastic ones Distress comes in. Same size pad though. And yes, I know this because I have the Nick Bantock ones. :lol: I've not played with them in a while though. I'll dig them out and see how true to lid color they are.

Colors were:
Rose Madder
Sapmoss Green
Charcoal Grey
Chartreuse Leaf
Chrome Yellow
Prussian Blue
Vermillion Lacquer
Deep Turquoise
Damson Plum
Van Dyke Brown
Cerulean Azure