katymjo

Re: Cards with bikes.

Post by katymjo »

Thankyou for all the good ideas, I knew I could rely on you. :P
Kathryn.
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Very nice Kathryn! I know what you mean about assembling fiddly diecuts; I have quite a few QuicKutz dies that are like that. I use a Zig fine tip two way glue pen when I have one. I also like Ranger Matte Accents in the small bottle with a needle-nose tip; unlike Glossy Accents you can't see it when it dries, in case a smidge of glue has escaped.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Love those cards! I don't have any better advice about assembling the dies. Sometimes I use a fine tip bottle of glue, and other times I run the bits through my Xyron sticker maker. I'm pretty frugal with my adhesive, so I've never bought those adhesive sheets that you apply prior to cutting. Though for some of those really intricate shapes, I can see where that would definitely be a better way to go. The Xyron works well, but you always get some of the adhesive pulling off around the cut which gets messy.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Keitha wrote:Very nice Kathryn! I know what you mean about assembling fiddly diecuts; I have quite a few QuicKutz dies that are like that. I use a Zig fine tip two way glue pen when I have one. I also like Ranger Matte Accents in the small bottle with a needle-nose tip; unlike Glossy Accents you can't see it when it dries, in case a smidge of glue has escaped.
Oh, yes, the Zig Fine Tip Two Way Glue Pen is wonderful. I love it, it works every time and lasts forever, doesn't dry out like other products we've all bought.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Does anyone use a Xyron anymore? I use the Sticker Maker from time to time and occasionally think about using the larger one - you know, the one with stuff piled on top of it up high on that shelf...
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I do use my xyron fairly regularly (regular being relative to the amount of time I'm actually crafting). It got a workout recently because the girl scout troop was decorating large 2" binder clips, and the xyron permanent adhesive was the only thing that would keep the paper attached to the clip. All of the wet adhesives we tried kept pulling away. And I still use it a lot with die cuts. Extra adhesive always comes along for the ride when you pull the die cut off, but it's still my go-to for getting delicate die cuts to fully adhere.

I have two xyron machines, and they actually remain some of my favorite tools. I often think that I should stock up on refills just in case they stop making them. I should have stocked up on my favorite red bottle of scotch glue also - went to get more last weekend and neither Michael's or JoAnn seem to carry it anymore. It made me sad, because that was my go-to wet adhesive for many many years.
Julie Fugina
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I only have the Xyron X, but do still keep it handy in my tool tote; as Julie said it's also good for die-cuts and I like it in particular when I've cut alphas for a title. Here's my tip for that extra adhesive problem: after running the cuts through the Xyron and before pulling off the the tape layer, burnish over the diecuts with your fingers or a flat edge, to ensure the adhesive is well stuck to either the back of the cuts or the tape you're peeling away. Then run the tip of a bone folder or ball end of a rub-on tool all around the outside of the diecut. That seems to help the excess adhesive stay on that tape you pull away and you get a cleaner diecut.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Julie, do you mean this glue? I use it a lot, especially when I'm gluing 3D items. I have some also in one of those fine tip applicators for the skinny dies. My LSS carries it.

I had one of those large Xyrons and used it only occasional. During one of my wild purges I sold it at the LSS garage sale. Now I'm smacking myself I did that. I do sometimes use the adhesive sheets if I plan ahead.
Attachments
IMG_0675.JPG
IMG_0675.JPG (96.61 KiB) Viewed 434 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Yep, that's the stuff Farley. Can't get it at my LSS anymore. They seem to have replaced it with a "Tacky Glue", but that glue doesn't say anything on the bottle about being photo safe. I also tried Amazon, and found one entry for my favorite glue, but the reviews were saying that what they received was the tacky glue.

So Farley, if I get desperate, I may send you a check and ask you to buy me some! :lol:
Julie Fugina
nancine

Post by nancine »

They sell that glue at my Michaels Julie, do you have Michaels stores?
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I do - lots of them within reasonable driving distance. I've checked at 4 stores in the last two weeks. Not even a place on the shelves for it anymore. :cry:
Julie Fugina