Announcement - new address list management

Anything goes here - if it's about paper artistry, it's fair game!
jfugina

Announcement - new address list management

Post by jfugina »

Hi everyone! Some concerns have been raised about our OCAM and Birthday Card Club lists being visible to registered users, now that users don't need admin approval (that will change again if spam becomes a problem).

The solution that's been put in place was to create a new forum that will contain all of the addresses, and access to that forum must be specifically requested. To gain access to the address list forum, you must be a member of the "Address Exchange" usergroup.

Here are the instructions for requesting access to the Address Exchange group:
1. Go to the User Control Panel in the upper right corner.
2. In the section on the left, click on Usergroups
3. You should see the group you're in (Registered Users) as well as a group called Address Exchange
4. To the right of the Address Exchange group, there's a select button you can click. Click that, and make sure that the drop-down right below is set to "Request to Join"
5. Click the submit button.

Once you've done that, you'll need to be approved. Most of the time this won't take any longer than 24 hours. Once approved, you'll have full access to the address list forum under "Swaps and Challenges"

Create a post with your name as the Subject, and put your address in the post. If your address changes, or anything about your status changes, you can always edit your own post.

For the moment, the master OCAM and Birthday Card Club lists have been copied over there. Hopefully we'll get to the point where we can get rid of those lists in favor of people joining the group and managing their own address. Please feel free to PM me if you have any trouble, or even if you don't like how this is working. I realize it will take two steps to check who you need to mail to, and then go somewhere else for the address, but this approach will do a much better job of protecting our privacy.

Thanks for your patience and participation in getting this change implemented.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Keitha

Re: Announcement - new address list management

Post by Keitha »

Thought I'd participate in the embossing folder challenge, but I don't have access to the address list. Assuming the instructions here are current I did the steps outlined and am awaiting approval; I presume somehow I'll know that's happened? So thought I'd post a message here to alert whoever needs to know that I'm awaiting approval.
jfugina

Re: Announcement - new address list management

Post by jfugina »

Keitha - I wasn't online this weekend, but I got your request this morning and you should be all set!
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO