garden journal - Roben-Marie Smith class project

Keitha

garden journal - Roben-Marie Smith class project

Post by Keitha »

Long a fan of Roben-Marie Smith's work, I took her online Pop-Up Fringe Journal class. Deciding on a garden theme I used her In the Garden Art Pops collection and some rubber stamps she designed, a couple of pages from a gardening magazine, some tags and papers painted/gelli printed by me and other bits and pieces. Lots of machine stitching and green sari ribbons. Here are photos of the front cover and a couple of inside pages; if you'd like to see the rest you can find it here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/9245349@N07/6xb14T
Attachments
DSCN3318_r.jpg
DSCN3318_r.jpg (244.22 KiB) Viewed 525 times
DSCN3323_r.jpg
DSCN3323_r.jpg (203.29 KiB) Viewed 525 times
DSCN3328_r.jpg
DSCN3328_r.jpg (225.31 KiB) Viewed 525 times
pamcook

Re: garden journal - Roben-Marie Smith class project

Post by pamcook »

Gorgeous! I love how the tags are sewn in. It looks like a really fun class.The project sure turned out well!

There's nothing a Roben-Marie class to make you feel artistic (as opposed to "crafty"). As in - me - making me feel that way. I always think of Hope Ramsey when I watch Roben-Marie's videos.
Pam Cook #48
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

Keitha, this is beautiful. You should be so proud.

Pam, for what it is worth, when people ask me who I am going to the beach with I always say, "Several women artists I met on the internet."
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

This is beautiful, Keitha. What an interesting project.
Kathryn.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Yes, it's gorgeous. Click on the link to see the other pages. I've already drooled over them in Dropbox today. And, please, note Keitha's leafy tablecloth on her work table, too.

I forgot to ask earlier today. On the photo Inside 5, how did you do that striped tag on the left hand side?
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Thanks ladies. Pam you're right - I did feel more artistic doing this; using some of my own inked, painted and gelli-printed papers I'm sure helped. I'm not familiar with Hope Ramsey but will check her out.

Judy, I love your description of your beach mates!

Here's the page/tag Marianne mentioned. I used the TH Stripes stencil and applied various colours of Distress ink (the regular stuff) on the tag through the stencil, then misted it lightly with water and carefully lifted off the stencil. The ink left on the stencil coloured a page in my art journal. Now that I've said that I want to try the same thing using the Oxide inks.
Attachments
DSCN3324_r.jpg
DSCN3324_r.jpg (194.67 KiB) Viewed 499 times
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

How cool it is
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Keitha wrote:Thanks ladies. Pam you're right - I did feel more artistic doing this; using some of my own inked, painted and gelli-printed papers I'm sure helped. I'm not familiar with Hope Ramsey but will check her out.

Here's the page/tag Marianne mentioned. I used the TH Stripes stencil and applied various colours of Distress ink (the regular stuff) on the tag through the stencil, then misted it lightly with water and carefully lifted off the stencil. The ink left on the stencil coloured a page in my art journal. Now that I've said that I want to try the same thing using the Oxide inks.

Keitha - Hope is one of our members here. She's had multiple eye surgeries and hasn't posted here in a couple of years. I miss her.
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

pamcook wrote:
Keitha wrote:Thanks ladies. Pam you're right - I did feel more artistic doing this; using some of my own inked, painted and gelli-printed papers I'm sure helped. I'm not familiar with Hope Ramsey but will check her out.

Keitha - Hope is one of our members here. She's had multiple eye surgeries and hasn't posted here in a couple of years. I miss her.
Thanks for posting that page. I love that tag and want to try it. I know I had a little stencil with lines on, wonder if I still have it or got rid of it because it was boring! :roll:
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

I would think you might be able to use a striped stamp and get a similar effect. I am so excited we have a whole week to play. I have all my craft stuff packed. No clothes or toothpaste, or food, so I might be naked, stinky, and hangry, but I will have stuff to do!
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Trixie wrote:I would think you might be able to use a striped stamp and get a similar effect. I am so excited we have a whole week to play. I have all my craft stuff packed. No clothes or toothpaste, or food, so I might be naked, stinky, and hangry, but I will have stuff to do!
Isn't it normal to always pack the craft stuff first? That's what I do for every trip we ever take.

Could also wrap yarn or rubber bands around a brayer but the lines would cross over.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

While they wouldn't be lines/stripes, you could probably get a similar effect with any stencil with small openings: little dots, thin tree branches, burlap texture, etc.
Or, you could cut a stripes stencil on your Cameo... :lol:
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Keitha wrote:While they wouldn't be lines/stripes, you could probably get a similar effect with any stencil with small openings: little dots, thin tree branches, burlap texture, etc.
Or, you could cut a stripes stencil on your Cameo... :lol:
Ha ha! I'll wait for you to show me how... ;)
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels