Bernie Berlin week 1 Liquid watercolors

Luanne

Bernie Berlin week 1 Liquid watercolors

Post by Luanne »

Liquid Watercolors
Week 1 Intuitive watercolor p12
Week 1 Watercolor on baby wipes p14
Week 1 Leafing pen resist p18

Supplies: Bernie has a list of supplies she used for the technique. Keep in mind, some companies supplied products for her to use for publicity reasons, they are not the only products or brands that will work with the techniques! In some cases they are the only thing that will work. Read through the pages and decide what you think will work for you. I have added some substitutions from my stash that you may already have.
In this particular technique she has used liquid watercolors. "Liquid Watercolors contain dyes as well as pigments, suspended in an aqueous medium. They are especially brilliant and transparent. Because they are moist and fluid, they are suited to thin washes and airbrush application as well as conventional brushwork. Many of the more brilliant colors are fugitive, so liquid watercolors are used most often for illustrations that will be scanned for reproduction."
If you don't have watercolors, you can use reinkers, or misters or any other form of liquid color medium. Experiment and let us know what your results look like. Please post the 'mistakes' too!!!! That way we can learn what NOT to do, or someone might like the new effect, ya never know.

Bernie's Supplies (suitable substitutions)
Palette paper (thin, plain generic paper, but use whatever you want)
Watercolor brush (paintbrush)
watercolor paper (absorbant card stock)
liquid watercolor or dye ink (reinkers)
heat gun
finepoint black pen (journaling pen)
baby wipes
scrap paper
glue or gel medium (bookbinding glue)
scissors
Krylon leafing pen
fluid black acryllic paint (permanent ink pad or staz-on)

If you have a substitution suggestion, please add it! this is where we begin sharing our tricks and hints. Please don't feel you are going to need to purchase everything Bernie suggests. As a matter of fact, she has switched to another brand of liquid acryllics since the book came out, so things change, we are entitled to change too.

Let's get ready to play!!!!!!
Maritza

Re: Bernie Berlin week 1 Liquid watercolors

Post by Maritza »

Can you share which brands worked for you, and what the packages look like.. I was at both Michael’s and AC Moore and I was unable to locate the “liquid watercolor” , I would so appreciate it if you could post pictures of the products you liked or did not like.. It will make it easier for me to locate the product.

thanks
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

Maritza
The watercolors I bough for this were in the kids section at Michaels
they came in packs of 3
say Kid Concoctions concentrated liquid watercolor.
Judi in IL

Post by Judi in IL »

FYI I was watching a painting thing the other day and the teacher mentioned that pallet paper is basically freezer paper in a pad.
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

You can also go back and read the 23 page spread from the topic before it goes away. Lots of tips in it.

http://clubscrapchat.com/phpbb3/viewtop ... 160&t=6979
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

I got the same Watercolors that Christy described although they were in the special summer display in the store then; they have probably moved to the kids section now.

Here is a card I made using the Leaf Resist tech:
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

this is a beautiful card.
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Thanks Christy! we celebrated our 25th anniversary in June and this was the card I made for DH. He got me rubies and white gold ;) . Fair trade?
Maritza

Post by Maritza »

thank you
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

azemigh wrote:Thanks Christy! we celebrated our 25th anniversary in June and this was the card I made for DH. He got me rubies and white gold ;) . Fair trade?

Toss up (I might go with the card, but maybe it's because I am arguing with DH that a complete set of Shiva paint sticks would make a WONDERFUL Christmas gift)
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Wouldn't they though?

I actually wasn't expecting the fabulous gift he gave me. Months earlier he had asked me if I wanted anything special for our anniversary and I said since it was the "silver" one I would like to get some real silver wire and jewelry findings and make myself something. Then I just kept putting off ordering any. In the mean time he went on a business trip to Thailand in March and arranged to view some loose rubies with a jeweler there. He bought 3 oval cut for a necklace and earrings and found a beautiful white gold twisty wire necklace for me. Boy was I surprised! Especially because he kept it a big secret from March to June. And eveyone in the family was in on it.