Favorite Christmas cookie?

Got a good recipe? Feel free to share
pamcook

Favorite Christmas cookie?

Post by pamcook »

I'm watching a Christmas cookie challenge on TV.

What cookie just screams Christmas to you?
Probably Peanut Butter Blossoms are my all time favorite but I also love those Chocolate Crackle Cookies (probably not the real name).
Pam Cook #48
ScrappinJen

Re: Favorite Christmas cookie?

Post by ScrappinJen »

We always made anise cookies with powdered sugar on top. Grandma's German recipe. Or so I'm told. They bring back so many memories. Guess I'll use that in JYC
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Maple Yule Logs and Scandinavian Almond Bars, Yum! only make 'em once a year and that's coming up in about 2 weeks!
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Yum, yum, Cranberry Chip! My all time favorite.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Any cookie that Bonnie makes. :lol:

I just don't make cookies at Christmas, but Bonnie always bakes a ton and brings over a big platter of them for us. I will say that everyone's favorite seems to be her oatmeal cookies and her p'nut butter Hershey's Kiss cookies. Is that what you call a P'nut Butter Blossom? A rose by any name would taste as sweet. Yum.

I did order 3 tubs of cookie dough from the band kids. Does that count? Oatmeal raisin, macadamia nut and white chocolate chips, and monster cookies.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

Spritz cookies. We only made them for Christmas! Although rum balls and tassies aren't far behind.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Yes Pam! Those are the cookies.
Chocolate and peanut butter fudge are always popular. My dad reminisces about "black walnut candy". Turns out my grandma would make chocolate fudge with black walnuts back in the day.
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

pamcook wrote:Yes Pam! Those are the cookies.
Chocolate and peanut butter fudge are always popular. My dad reminisces about "black walnut candy". Turns out my grandma would make chocolate fudge with black walnuts back in the day.
Oh, yummy, I haven't had anything black walnut for years. Did anyone else ever have the black walnut ice cream they made at Williamsburg and other places in VA? Is that common in the South?

OK, cookies-Pizzelles are one of my favorites. Ray's favorite is peanut butter and chocolate swirls from a 1950s American Home magazine. Robin always liked the cranberry shortbread that I think is a Martha Stewart recipe.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I Remember my Mom (in Newport, KY) always chose black walnut ice cream, when we were out getting ice cream somewhere. Such a treat! I ALWAYS chose chocolate. I never thought of it as a Southern thing but I guess it was. We were right on the Mason-Dixon Line.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Peanut butter cookies with the Hershey's chocolate kiss in the center, spritz cookies and my weird favorite...my mom's individual fruitcake bonbons. Oh how my brother and I loved those. We would sit on the cork tiled kitchen floor (with radiant heat:) and crack the nuts my aunt in Illinois sent us for the bonbons. They were best eaten with a mug of hot cocoa. Often we'd have them for breakfast.
FARLEY in Sacramento
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

I couldn't pick a favorite, I love them all!

But the one I miss having is one that my
high school BF's Mom made. She called them
Michigan Rocks and they had chopped dates, nuts and
raisins in them. They looked like a lump of
Chocolate chip cookie dough before you baked
the chocolate chips. The Michigan Rocks kept that
lumpy look when they baked, they didn't flatten out.
They were great with a cup of tea. (this was before
my coffee days) they would probably be wonderful with
a cup of coffee
I have tried without success to duplicate them even
following the recipe she used :(
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

My grandmother (and my mother) used black walnuts in everything - fudge, cookies, cakes. My favorite Christmas cake is my grandmother's recipe - applesauce cake with black walnuts. I tend to think it's more of a regional choice with the nuts - black walnuts don't grow well in sandy soil, and pecans don't grow well in higher elevations. Hickory nuts grow danged near everywhere.

And yes, I had black walnut ice cream, too - loved it.

Good memories, from Daddy driving the car back and forth over the walnuts to remove the casing to cracking the walnuts with a hammer. A lot of work, but worth every mouthful.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I use Black Walnuts in my Pound Cake and it really adds an extra zing.
mpizzazz wrote:
pamcook wrote:Yes Pam! Those are the cookies.
Oh, yummy, I haven't had anything black walnut for years. Did anyone else ever have the black walnut ice cream they made at Williamsburg and other places in VA? Is that common in the South?

OK, cookies-Pizzelles are one of my favorites. Ray's favorite is peanut butter and chocolate swirls from a 1950s American Home magazine. Robin always liked the cranberry shortbread that I think is a Martha Stewart recipe.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
nancine

Post by nancine »

Spritz top the list here.
The Chocolate Crinkles are what we call them Pam - they are another favorite.
And a cookie we call Whilagig - peanut butter cookie dough rolled out and spread with melted chocolate chips then rolled up jelly roll like and sliced. They are soooooooooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooood.
From my husbands side it was the Cucidati. Italian cookies - my daughter loves them! I'm not sure where they got their Italian recipe since MIL, aunt Mary and Uncle Ed made them and they were all Portuguese!
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

nancine wrote:Spritz top the list here.
The Chocolate Crinkles are what we call them Pam - they are another favorite.
And a cookie we call Whilagig - peanut butter cookie dough rolled out and spread with melted chocolate chips then rolled up jelly roll like and sliced. They are soooooooooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooood.
From my husbands side it was the Cucidati. Italian cookies - my daughter loves them! I'm not sure where they got their Italian recipe since MIL, aunt Mary and Uncle Ed made them and they were all Portuguese!
Those are the Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirls, Nancy! You roll or pat out the peanut butter dough, spread on the melted chocolate, roll up, slice and bake. :cool5:
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com