HOLIDAY RECIPES 2011

Got a good recipe? Feel free to share
Ruth Ann Landry

HOLIDAY RECIPES 2011

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

It's that time of year and I'm always looking for something new to make over the double holiday season. How about adding some of your favorite recipes?

Here's one I've made a couple times this fall and plan on using again at Thanksgiving in place of candied sweet potatoes.

Maple Butternut Squash
1. peel, seed, and cut squash in 1 in cubes
2. place squash in a 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish
3. drizzle 1/2-2/3 cp maple syrup over squash
4. dot with 3 T butter
5. sprinkle with salt and pepper
6. 400 degree oven for app 35 min...stirring occasionally.
7. sprinkle with 1/2 cp toasted, chopped pecans...optional

This dish is easy and delish!

Cranberry vodka (for vodka and tonics)
1# fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
2 t vanilla
place in saucepan and heat on med, stirring, until berries pop and sugar becomes syrupy...about 5-6 minutes
divide the mixture in half and put into 2 mason jars
divide one fifth vodka between the two jars (about 1 1/3 cup ea)
place in fridge and let set for about one week.
strain, reserving liquid...I saved the vodka bottle for this
to serve: pour 2oz cranberry vodka in class, add ice, top off with tonic.

I've got mine marinating...never made this before, but thought I'd give it a go for Thanksgiving, and if it's as good as I heard it is, I will make some to keep around for the Christmas holidays as well.
jdrhope

Re: HOLIDAY RECIPES 2011

Post by jdrhope »

This is a great idea!
I have gone from planning a small (3 people) thanksgiving meal to a large (7 adult/5 children) thanksgiving meal. I will need all the help I can get. DH's children and grandchildren should all be at our house for thanksgiving this year, this is a major deal because most of them are from out of state and have never come for Thanksgiving. As bad as his sickness was, it is a blessing that everyone is coming together for the first time now. :clap:
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

There will only be the 3 of us this Thanksgiving - me, George and Chris. Julie and the children will be in Charlotte with her mom, so we may end up just throwing a piece of meat on the grill instead of cooking a huge meal. I kind of like relaxed holidays!
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
tlscrap

Post by tlscrap »

Good idea! Thanks for those, I'll look for some of mine!
http://tlscrap.blogspot.com/
PAO #8
Theresa Lee
Painesville, Ohio
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

We're going to Ohio so I won't be cooking much. Normally, I use Alton Brown's turkey brine (I get a fresh turkey from Whole Foods - amazing taste!). I'll make the typical green bean casserole but switch the cream of mushroom soup to golden mushroom soup. If I was cooking at home, I'd use Pioneer Woman's recipe for green bean casserole. It sounds so good. I also volunteered to make macaroni and cheese since no one in Ohio realizes it's a must for the holiday menu. I use Paula Deen's recipe (it cooks in a slow-cooker). We like smashed potatoes (red new potatoes roughly mashed with plenty of cream and butter) but on Thanksgiving, I make from scratch mashed potatoes especially for Mandee. Cara loves corn pudding so I make that for her when she's home. Joel loves carrots with a bit of brown sugar and butter so that's on the table for him. We all prefer sweet potato pie (sorry Christy!) and something chocolate for dessert.
Pam Cook #48
jdrhope

Post by jdrhope »

pamcook wrote:We're going to Ohio so I won't be cooking much. Normally, I use Alton Brown's turkey brine (I get a fresh turkey from Whole Foods - amazing taste!). I'll make the typical green bean casserole but switch the cream of mushroom soup to golden mushroom soup. If I was cooking at home, I'd use Pioneer Woman's recipe for green bean casserole. It sounds so good. I also volunteered to make macaroni and cheese since no one in Ohio realizes it's a must for the holiday menu. I use Paula Deen's recipe (it cooks in a slow-cooker). We like smashed potatoes (red new potatoes roughly mashed with plenty of cream and butter) but on Thanksgiving, I make from scratch mashed potatoes especially for Mandee. Cara loves corn pudding so I make that for her when she's home. Joel loves carrots with a bit of brown sugar and butter so that's on the table for him. We all prefer sweet potato pie (sorry Christy!) and something chocolate for dessert.

you are making me hungry :D
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

Tom and I will be here by ourselves on Thanksgiving. On Dec 10th we will be at my brothers and my
sister will come up from St Louis area. This will be out Christmas party. Don't think
any of the kids will come since all live out of state.
Tom wants to fix standing rib roast (prine rib) , the rest of us will fix the following. mashed potatoes,
gravy, steamed vegetables, I will make mac and chees made with elbow spagetti and velveeta,
salads, several desserts, my Moms cranberry relish, Also condiments-pickles, olives, radishes and such.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I'm going wherever Pam C is for Thanksgiving! That all sounds so fantastic! It also sounds like a meal that would un-do months of Jenny Craig work in one sitting. :lol: Maybe it's best that I not try to follow Pam after all. :?
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Monica

Post by Monica »

I'm hosting Thanksgiving at my house again this year. :) Will have 6 adults, 2 children, and one dog that can't be left home alone for the day... (oh, and my little furball who will be pissed that a DOG is in her house!). I always make a couple of pumpkin pies as that is my favorite Thanksgiving food of all time; no fancy recipe, just the one off the Libby's pack pumpkin label. I was hooked by a yummy picture of a punpkin toffee cheesecake while standing in line at the checkout a couple days ago, so I'm gonig to make that this weekend and toss it in the freezer until Thanksgiving. I have a small turkey (a couple people are vegetarian) and my MIL will make a vegetarian dish. This year we'll have carrots and corn, although I will probably heat up a couple cans of french-style green beans as I gotta have my green beans! I switched to mashed potaotes and mashed yams a few years back, rather than candied yams and mashed potatoes, but I found a new casserole dish for yams that I may try this year... don't remember the recipe name off the top of my head, but it came from the same book as the cheesecake. That same recipe book had a recipe for Curried Pumpkin Soup, which I think I'll fix for Friday supper. And now I'm hungry!!

I'll try to post a couple of the recipes if I get a chance....
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Paula

Post by Paula »

I'm hosting Turkey day too! No relatives in state, but we are having some friends over, as we do each year. My grands won't make it this year, which will be a change, so I will only have 8 adults. The menu is
Turkey
stuffing
green bean casserole
sweet potato casserole
ceasar salad
steamed oysters
mashed potatoes
deviled eggs
homemade dinner rolls
and boston creme pie and pumpkin, of course.
tlscrap

Post by tlscrap »

Ok, here's my turkey recipe, I've used it every year for 5 years or so:

In a pot, melt 1 pound of butter, take off heat and add a full bottle of good white wine.

Dress your turkey as you normally would, dip a cheesecloth (big enough to cover turkey all over, usually I cut a 17 inch square, 4 times and layer together) into your butter mixture, and let it soak for a few minutes, then take out, squeeze a little bit and drape over turkey.

Place turkey in 450 degree oven on lowest rack.

Cook for 30 minutes.

Baste with a squeezer or brush with the remaining butter that's in your pan (I sometimes do a pound and a 1/2 of butter with a LARGE bottle of wine, for extra basting :) and keep basting, there's plenty of mixture.

Reduce heat down to 350 degrees.

Continue to baste at 30 minutes intervals for the next 2 1/2 hours.

After the 3rd hour of cooking, take off the cheesecloth and discard, keep basting for another hour or whenever your turkey reaches the right temp (180 degrees) (stuffing should be 140 degrees).

This is the juiciest turkey I've ever had!
http://tlscrap.blogspot.com/
PAO #8
Theresa Lee
Painesville, Ohio
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I am doing Thanksgiving here. Our son, DIL and grands are coming Wednesday. Thursday our grandson and his family will be here for dinner so I will have 6 adults and 3 children for dinner. Our other son and his family will be over either Friday or Saturday.

Thanksgiving dinner will consist of:
Butterball turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing
gravy, rolls
cole slaw, asparagus or green beans
stuffed celery, pickles, olives, cranberry sauce
cookies, candy and DQ ice cream cake for dessert

Friday dinner:
Spiraled sliced ham
candied sweet potatoes
broccoli salad
asparagus or green beans
baked beans
cookies and candy for dessert

I am so looking forward to this and the house is decorated for Christmas since the little ones won't be here for that holiday. I will have their presents under the tree and we will open them while they are here. I will add a recipe in a little while.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

I'll be over!
clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

Everyone's dishes sound fabulous and are making me hungry. Loving the recipes.
Paula, I'll be over for the steamed oysters....Yum. yum!
We're going two places and having two big meals. On Wednesday night at the farm (out of state) with about 20-25 and Thursday (back in the state) with hubby's family for 15-20.
At the farm I'll cook my traditional sweet potato dish (I can't go if I don't cook that dish) and will help with everything else. There will be ham, turkey/dressing, potatoes, mac & cheese, various vegetables, salads, breads, lots of desserts and who knows what else. I'm taking sausage balls with me for breakfasts.
On Thursday, since we'll be coming in from out of state, all I have to do is sit down and eat. We always help with the expenses but they cook. That meal will be the traditional foods too but no ham.
The best part of the holiday for me is the time spent with close friends and family. My son and his family are going with us. My daughter and her family can't go, but we'll get to see her on our way up and home.

I hope that everyone has a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving.
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage
Paula

Post by Paula »

clamscrapper wrote:Everyone's dishes sound fabulous and are making me hungry. Loving the recipes.
Paula, I'll be over for the steamed oysters....Yum. yum!
We're going two places and having two big meals. On Wednesday night at the farm (out of state) with about 20-25 and Thursday (back in the state) with hubby's family for 15-20.
At the farm I'll cook my traditional sweet potato dish (I can't go if I don't cook that dish) and will help with everything else. There will be ham, turkey/dressing, potatoes, mac & cheese, various vegetables, salads, breads, lots of desserts and who knows what else. I'm taking sausage balls with me for breakfasts.
On Thursday, since we'll be coming in from out of state, all I have to do is sit down and eat. We always help with the expenses but they cook. That meal will be the traditional foods too but no ham.
The best part of the holiday for me is the time spent with close friends and family. My son and his family are going with us. My daughter and her family can't go, but we'll get to see her on our way up and home.

I hope that everyone has a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving.
My door is always open!!!