Chicken, Biscuits & Gravy Casserole

Got a good recipe? Feel free to share
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Cheryl asked me to share here, so I am. This must be good because Adam ate 3 helpings and he doesn't eat mushrooms. The changes that I made to the recipe are on the bottom. I expect you could add things to this to dress it up more than I did, but the peas were good. Just wish I'd been able to get the frozen peas thawed out enough to measure them out instead of using canned. Don't add much salt - the mushrooms seemed to add plenty for me.

The basic recipe is Rachel Ray's. I just like to change things a bit when I'm cooking. This was my first time making it so I'll be experimenting a little bit more.

1 medium to large rotisserie chicken
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the dish
8 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1 cup chicken broth or stock
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 cups baking mix, such as Bisquick
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Butter a large casserole dish. Pull the meat off the chicken, shredding it with your fingers or a fork into the baking dish.

2. In a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over high heat. Add the mushrooms, onions and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are browned. Lower the heat to medium, sprinkle the flour into the skillet and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the chicken broth, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup of the milk and simmer for 1 minute more. Remove the skillet from the heat, add the lemon juice, and add salt and pepper to taste. Pour the gravy over the chicken in the baking dish.

3. Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter with the garlic.

4. Stir together the baking mix, the remaining 2/3 cup of milk and the cheese. Drop tablespoonfuls of the biscuit mixture on top of the casserole and brush with half of the garlic butter. Bake until the biscuits are golden brown, about 25 minutes, brushing them once or twice with the remaining garlic butter while cooking.

SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS:
The grocery store had baby bellos (mushrooms) already sliced, so I used them. The slices were a little fat, so I cut them in half by chopping them a little bit.
I didn’t have any celery, so I added slightly more than 1 cup of sweet peas (1 can drained) to the gravy just before pouring it over the chicken. It works.
When you add the milk to the Bisquick and cheese, it makes a really stiff dough, so dropping it by spoonfuls onto the casserole wasn’t really an option. Instead I floured my hands and made small flat biscuits and placed them on top of the casserole. It worked fine.
We keep jars of pre-chopped garlic in the fridge, so I used that instead of freshly chopped garlic. As for the freshly ground pepper, coarse ground McCormick’s worked very well.
I also added garlic to the onions and mushrooms when they were browning. Love garlic and it keeps the vampires away - we haven't seen one around here in ages!
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
troublesmom

Re: Chicken, Biscuits & Gravy Casserole

Post by troublesmom »

Sounds great Pam. I would makes some substitutes myself. But the recipe does sound super.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Sounds so good!
Martha had a similar recipe years ago. Used roasted root vegetables and an herbed butter-based pie crust.
I just love it when it's cool enough to use an oven in your house. I actually baked a cake last night to celebrate ;)
Pam Cook #48
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Sounds good Pam.

Pam P I would probably use some of my precooked Chicken Breasts or Thighs. I always do extra to keep from having to cook a second day. Course half the time hubby eats leftovers for his lunch. He hates sandwiches.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Since this called for an entire chicken, I went ahead and picked up the rotisserie chicken. I'm thinking, tho, that this would be a good way to use up turkey leftovers because I always end up giving a lot of meat to the animals. I've got a cat that I swear can smell poultry a mile away. In that case, I'd have to add a bit of sage to the gravy, just to make sure it still has that holiday feel. ;)
Pam P.

troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

That would be a perfect way to use up the turkey. I always buy the biggest turkey I can get at Thanksgiving and love the leftovers. Nothing like a good turkey, dressing, cranberry sandwich. Yum,. I'm getting hungry now!
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
jdrhope

Post by jdrhope »

I read somewhere, probably on pinterest, that buying a precooked rotisserie chicken
is cheaper that buying a fresh chicken and cooking it yourself. Chicken is really high priced around here lately.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

It was certainly faster than buying and cooking one! I'm all for fast and easy.
Pam P.

troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Everything is high prices around here lately :roll:
jdrhope wrote:I read somewhere, probably on pinterest, that buying a precooked rotisserie chicken
is cheaper that buying a fresh chicken and cooking it yourself. Chicken is really high priced around here lately.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
Monica

Post by Monica »

Sounds yummy!!
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin