Image transfer woes (photo now added)

New tricks to amaze your friends
pamcook

Image transfer woes (photo now added)

Post by pamcook »

Okay - I thought I could do a simple image transfer but it isn't working. The gel medium I have is "ultra matte". I find that when I use this gel medium, that it almost looks like a watered-down gesso. Could that be the problem? Maybe I need a more transparent gel medium? The piece I tried last evening - maybe one or two spots transferred but nothing more than that.
Pam Cook #48
Ruth Ann Landry

Re: Image transfer woes

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

Pam I am not sure of the difference between matte medium and ultra matte, but if you spread a nice even coat of gel matte down and place your transfer face down and burnish well and let dry, it SHOULD transfer...i find you have to be patient when removing with water, as some of the transfer may rub off with the backing if you rub too hard. Also, what kind of copy image are you using? jetink does not transfer well at all...use a toner copy.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I didn't wait to let it dry - that could be the problem. I used a copier that uses toner. Could it be that I don't burnish it hard enough? I swear it seems like I'm going to rub the copy right off the page though. I'm going to keep trying - will let you know what happens tonight. Thanks so much -
Pam Cook #48
Ruth Ann Landry

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

if you used toner and burnished...it's probably that you didn't let it dry enough....
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Transfer techniques is on my list of things that will not defeat me! They never seem to work for me so I'm not giving up this time.
Pam Cook #48
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

Have you tried the clear packing tape
method?
I've used that and have been happy with the
results. I purchased a roll of the wider width
tape to play with just for this, then someone (DH)
clipped the roll to tape up the recycling. LOL
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I haven't tried it. Every time I've wanted to do a transfer (and those times are few and far between!), it's been a project where I need to be able to paint/stamp/ink over the surface.
I may try it just so I can feel successful though! It's been one of those days...
Pam Cook #48
capescrapper

Post by capescrapper »

Hi Pam, I was wondering if you have ever followed Donna Downey's blog. She actually did this exact technique you are talking about and the thing she mentioned was that if you wait too long it will dry and it will stick and not transfer. Kind of opposite of what Ruth Ann said. I have a link to the video she did. If you go to about 4:56 minutes in is when she starts the technique. I hope that helps.

http://vimeo.com/20623859
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I do follow Donna's blog and have been trying to do the pages from last week. Tonight I let it dry and it all peeled right off the page. I think I need a tutor. Or maybe I'll use PSE to print them at about 40% transparency (or whatever it's called) and give up on the transfer technique all together - nope, not gonna let it defeat me. I will figure it out. Someday.
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Thanks for the link Julie! I've never tried image transfer in any way shape or form. She sure makes it look easy. I've been watching those videos for almost an hour now. I haven't had much time to look at her web site or videos, but last week I registered for the classes during ReCreate - and now I'm excited!

Pam - I hope you get a successful transfer soon! If not, maybe you can get Donna to help you when we're there in May. :D
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I think I'm going to ask her for help when I get there. Believe me, I've tried so many times. You would think I'd at least get one or two successful images.

Donna's blog is pretty wonderful. She is so much about the process - teaching us how to play and experiment and make the projects our own artwork. That's what I need the most help with.
Pam Cook #48
jdrhope

Post by jdrhope »

Donna also said in one of the image transfer videos that she used a inkjet printer, which I always thought was a no no. Maybe it is because she is transfering to canvas instead of paper?? I have transferred in the past with some luck using a toner copy onto paper. It has been awhile but I know that I didn't wait for it to dry. The process was pretty fast, the best that I can remember. I will try it again tonight so that I can remember. Good luck, Pam.
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

jdrhope wrote:Donna also said in one of the image transfer videos that she used a inkjet printer, which I always thought was a no no. Maybe it is because she is transfering to canvas instead of paper?? I have transferred in the past with some luck using a toner copy onto paper. It has been awhile but I know that I didn't wait for it to dry. The process was pretty fast, the best that I can remember. I will try it again tonight so that I can remember. Good luck, Pam.

I usually use an inkjet printer too. The whole going to make toner copies thing doesn't work in my need in now style. There is definitely a learning curve though.

(I too also really like packing tape transfers)
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Donna said she uses inkjet copies and I watched that video over and over. I'm going to get a different gel medium and use less (maybe I'm slathering it on too thickly). Anyway, I did print my photos on a toner copier because I remember people saying they work better.

Hope, I'm still waiting for my stamps to arrive to really try these pages. Let me know if you do any, I'd love to see them!
Pam Cook #48
capescrapper

Post by capescrapper »

Her style is so freeing isn't it Pam?!

I love her attitude too! She is so funny! :lol: