Card Bases from Scraps

New tricks to amaze your friends
mpizzazz

Card Bases from Scraps

Post by mpizzazz »

A bit of Introduction to what I am doing here.

Usually when I make cards, I cut the standard size card bases from 8.5 x 11" paper or I cut 3-4 x 12" strips from 12 x 12" to fold into 4 x 6" cards. Then I just use scraps for the fronts of the cards.

This week I've been analyzing the scraps to see how I can better use them to create interesting card bases in the standard and other sizes.

Here is how I am sorting my scraps to see what I have to work with. This is the orange bag of scraps divided into piles for card potential. I'm concentrating on the pieces that are 11-12" or 8-9" long and the mat size pieces to design card bases. The 8 x8s and anything over 6" wide get saved for layouts. Smallest scraps are for decorating card fronts, journal cards, stamping, etc.
Sorted Scraps
Sorted Scraps
IMG_5873 copy.jpg (108.54 KiB) Viewed 874 times
I have a lot of envelopes that will hold a 3 x 6" card so I am working with them for these cards made from long strips. They are both vertical and horizontal opening. As long as the back of the card measures whatever the size of your envelope is, the front can be any size and have an overlapping panel.
Long Strip Cards copy.jpg
Long Strip Cards copy.jpg (59.57 KiB) Viewed 874 times
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
mpizzazz

Re: Card Bases from Scraps

Post by mpizzazz »

Here are a few more examples of Long Strip Cards.

The Library Pocket Card uses the vertical half of an 8.5 x11" paper.
Library Pocket Card.jpg
Library Pocket Card.jpg (90.73 KiB) Viewed 871 times
These long strip cards use the width of an 8.5 x 11" paper. Height can vary up to 4 1/4" so they fit in a standard envelope.
Cards from strips.jpg
Cards from strips.jpg (91.59 KiB) Viewed 871 times
Both card styles have a 4 1/4 x 51/2" footprint to fit into a standard envelope.

I am doing these posts to hopefully get this to stick in my brain and maybe it will be useful for others.
I will add more as I do them.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

You're wonderful!
:happy94:
Pam Cook #48
Paula

Post by Paula »

wow!!
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Keep 'em coming Marianne. They're awesome!
julierealtor

Post by julierealtor »

Impressive. What I have learned:

1)I need to sort my scraps by color family and then size. Like you, I have many of the same size scraps.

2) I have many of the 3.5" x 12" strips. Using them for the card fronts of a 3x5 or 3x6 card is ideal

3) Making pockets & tags for card fronts is a great idea

So yes, Marianne...very helpful for me. Thanks :creating:
djenns

Post by djenns »

Thanks for sharing all of this........I'm bookmarking so I can refer back when I'm looking for ways to get the most out of my paper

Diana
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Great cards and wonderful way to use up scraps!
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

This is fantastic! Totally something my math oriented brain can comprehend! My scraps are currently in one big box. Perhaps I need to spend some time this weekend sorting. I don't think I have any scraps large enough for a base, but I certainly have mountains of panel-worthy scraps.

Keep these ideas coming, please. This is really great! :clap:
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

What everyone else said. These ideas are fantastic!
Monica

Post by Monica »

Wonderful, Marianne!!

Monica
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
nancine

Post by nancine »

thank you, these are terrific ideas! bookmark!!
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Wow, thanks for all the comments. I was wondering if spending the time on this would be worthwhile.

Julie F-you may be surprised what you can do with the scraps or POPs. Stay tuned!

Julie S-Those strips would make a nice size card folded in half-3 1/2 x 6" or cut them to 11 so you can put them in an invitation envelope. You can grab a bag of neutral scraps and a few bags of colors and make tons of cards.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I posted a bunch more of these the other day. Some small cards made from 8.5" long narrow scraps. If the strips weren't that long, they could have a little extension or leave the front panel shorter. No one said cards have to be the same size on the front and back.
Small Strip Cards copy.jpg
Small Strip Cards copy.jpg (118.38 KiB) Viewed 838 times

Next Pile of Scraps-POPs or scraps around 4x6" in size. Besides being a front panel on a card, here is an easy card to make from two of them the same size. Score them at about 2.5 to 3" first. Overlap them and glue them together to form a base card the size of the envelope you are using.
POP Cards copy.jpg
POP Cards copy.jpg (97.73 KiB) Viewed 838 times
Remember that list of Uses for POPs at CS? There are probably lots of ideas for POP cards in that if it is still around.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Next I found a pack of 20 yellow envelopes in the back of the envelope drawer. They are A6-6.5 x 4.75. A conventional card would need to be cut from an 8.5 x 11" sheet of paper and would generate more scraps :-o
I came up with this idea to use 6 x 6" squares and 4 x 6" scraps or POPs. I made two cards using a 6 x 12" scrap. Then I did cut a full sheet into 4 more 6" squares. I don't mind that, no scraps leftover. Only 14 more yellow envelopes to go!
I liked covering the join on the front with ribbon. If you plan ahead, you can fasten that on the back edges of the front panel before gluing that to the flap. I did that on the horizontal card at the bottom so the edges are hidden behind the panel. Those stampings on the fronts are ancient.
Square and POP Cards.jpg
Square and POP Cards.jpg (89.09 KiB) Viewed 837 times
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels