wax play necessities.....

New tricks to amaze your friends
pamcook

Re: wax play necessities.....

Post by pamcook »

I have one of those little warmers for scented "tarts". It's heated with a light bulb. It works really well.
Pam Cook #48
clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

So ready to play. Think I've got it all.
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage
aprilpzzl

Post by aprilpzzl »

Ruth Ann,

For substrate are you talking about smoothed surfaces on fairly thin wood? ANything else that could be used?
Ruth Ann Landry

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

Pam...I'm not sure that the light bulb would generate enough heat to melt the wax and keep it in a liquid state. I melt mine in the melting pot at 300 and when it's all melted, i turn it back to about 180 to keep it liquid and not burn it...thus, discoloring it. If you have an electric skillet or griddle, melt your wax in an empty can...like cat food or tuna fish can....

April...you can put wax on most smooth surfaces...flat canvases (without the frame), any piece of wood is great......Framed canvases, if large, can get pretty heavy when using wax...the small ones, even framed, would be fine! I would stay away from any really glossy surface as I'm not sure the wax would adhere properly...ie, tile.
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Ruth Ann Landry wrote:there are other ways to melt the wax...a small tuna can in an electric skillet...an old tiny crockpot......you need about 300 degrees or a little less to melt the wax and 180 to keep it liquid without burning it.....If you DO purchase a melting pot...get the extra pan for wax and use the original pan for UTEE...the extra pan fits inside the original and keeps a slightly lower temp so that the wax does not burn and get dark....
Thanks for the tip about pans. I have a melting pot and extra pan - haven't used either yet, so I'll allocate them accordingly.