Cricut tip

New tricks to amaze your friends
jfugina

Cricut tip

Post by jfugina »

I've been following the progress of the Cricut Craft Room application, and pondering the purchase of their "digital images". Basically you can download content without having to store the cart or packaging. The first one I was considering was the paper bows. For 9.99 you get the images that will make 9 (I think) different gift bows. But here's the thing: if you look at the digital handbook, it's pretty easy to see how you could do this without the cart by inserting just a bit of guesswork.

http://www.cricut.com/res/ccrehandbooks ... ows_CE.pdf

I have several carts that cut fancy borders. Any of those, plus a few welds (in CCR or Gypsy), would easily make most of the bows. It might be a little more work, but it saves me 10 bucks and is infinitely more versatile. I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to with the millions of christmas papers I have. And, you wouldn't even need a Cricut - most of those bows are just strips with decorative edges - and the edges could be done with a punch.

And here's another cheat - if you didn't want to do any guesswork on the bow lengths, use CCR and drop the actual bows on one layer, and then overlay images from carts that you own and resize until you get a match. Again, I haven't tried this, but I intend to. Not that I don't have $10, but you don't actually get that much for the money - especially when the base elements are so simple.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
jmp1022

Re: Cricut tip

Post by jmp1022 »

I thought you can design on their site then download it to you cricut and put in your cartridge to cut.
I'll have to go back and reread. I'm trying to find things to cut without buying every cartridge.
Almost talked myself into the silhouette last night. Especially to cut fonts.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Yeah, the way I understand it, you can design with any cartridge that exists, including some of these now "downloadable" ones. For anything you've downloaded, it should show up in your "linked cartridges" list, and it therefore won't ask you to put in a cartridge. Also, you should only have to pop the cartridge in once - the first time you use it in a design. Craftroom is supposed to remember that you've already got that cartridge for subsequent cuts. That's a good thing, because it would be a PITA to always have to have your carts handy for swapping in and out. That's what I love about the gypsy - once linked, I never have to touch the cart again and I can cut multiple cartridge images on one mat.
Julie Fugina
tlscrap

Post by tlscrap »

Holy Crap!!!! We can purchase stuff to download!?!?!

I have the Cricut Craft Room, was a beta tester, and I love it! Even better than the CDS!

But I thought you had to buy all the cartridges, so knowing that I can download, that is so cool!!!!

Where on the site do I get that info?
http://tlscrap.blogspot.com/
PAO #8
Theresa Lee
Painesville, Ohio
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I don't think you can download all cartridges - just a few that are specific to CCR. Like the bows, and there's an ornament one, and a few fonts - VERY few images on each one - none of them really seem worth the money they're charging to me, but YMMV. If you look in the filter drop-down for the cartridge list, there's a filter for CCR Exclusives. I'm not sure how the download gets credited to you CCR account, but you should be able to cut those if you've made the purchase.
Julie Fugina
tlscrap

Post by tlscrap »

Kinda neat, you're right not very many, I like the bows, like the pennants too, for card making banners on the front of cards.
PAO #8
Theresa Lee
Painesville, Ohio
Monica

Post by Monica »

I like the idea of it remembering which carts I have so I don't have to pull them out each time. I'll have to play more with it (you know, in my *spare* time)....
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

Someone I know says that eventually all the cartridges will be online and you'll have to pay a monthly fee.
Something like the itunes and microsoft cloud. That way there are not any disk to copy.
The newest cricut being sold doesn't use cartridges, it is only usable at the cricut site
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO

Northeast Illinois
Monica

Post by Monica »

jmp1022 wrote:Someone I know says that eventually all the cartridges will be online and you'll have to pay a monthly fee.
Considering the amount of money I have invested in carts, that would seriously piss me off!!
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

me too so I hope she is wrong. I watched HSN for a while about the newest cricut and DH was getting a little weird so I changed the channel.
I really need to look into what she said.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO

Northeast Illinois
tlscrap

Post by tlscrap »

I DVR'd it and am going to watch it this weekend, and you're right, that would piss me off, I don't have many, but someone who has spent tons, that would suck!

I skimmed through the DVR and was wondering where the cartridges fit in, but didn't see, so I guess I'll have to watch it soon.
PAO #8
Theresa Lee
Painesville, Ohio
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Add me to the pissed off list if monthly fees became the norm. I'd just have to be content with the carts I had already acquired, and use my current stuff until it flat out died, and then figure out what direction to head next. With an E, a G, and over 50 carts (and now Nicole's baby bug), I've got way too much invested already and would be livid if I had to start paying extra to make things I already own continue to work.

The new machine is an interesting concept, but it takes a smaller mat than the Expression. I need my 12x12 mats, and I don't get out the 12x24 that often, but I love having that option for the 3D projects, which they seem to be introducing more of with each new cart.
Julie Fugina
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

jfugina wrote: With an E, a G, and over 50 carts (and now Nicole's baby bug)
Gulp...that is a HUGE investment Julie. I would be very disturbed if it all went online at some point.

I have a little ole Slice with 4 cards...not a big to do at all, and I rarely use it. Any Cricut would be like Greek to me!
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA