Fabric Bowl Tutorial

New tricks to amaze your friends
azemigh

Fabric Bowl Tutorial

Post by azemigh »

Supply List:

These are the supplies for a bowl approximately 8 inches in diameter at the rim. You can adjust accordingly for any size bowl you want.

FABRIC (1/2 yard cut into 1 inch strips from selvage to selvage) Note: if you are using an obvious stripe and want that to create a pattern, purchase more fabric and cut lengthwise with the stripes. You can tear your strips, but that will create alot of extra fraying that will show on the inside and outside of your bowl.

CORDING 8/32" cotton upholstery piping (about 10 yards)

Paper plate
Glue stick (the purple kind allows you to see where you're gluing)
binder clip (for holding the wrapping in place while you take a break)
Contrasting thread (you can match your thread to your fabric, but contrasting adds another design element)

DENIM/JEANS NEEDLES I say needles because, odds are you're going to break one during this project
Sewing machine with zigzag stitch. It helps if you have a foot that allows you to see a large portion of the stitching area, but it isn't necessary to complete the bowl.

The bowl takes about 3 hours to complete from start to finish. I highly recommend doing the wrapping in the evening while watching tv or something. This takes about an hour and a half and is tedious. The sewing will go fairly quickly
Attachments
DSC07795.JPG
DSC07795.JPG (39.67 KiB) Viewed 993 times
DSC07792.JPG
DSC07792.JPG (28.59 KiB) Viewed 993 times
azemigh

Re: Fabric Bowl Tutorial

Post by azemigh »

Let's get started!

The strips are only glued at each end. Pay some attention at the start of wrapping so you have a nice looking finished end. (This will be in the center bottom of your bowl)
Attachments
Using the paper plate as a gluing platform, spread glue all around about an inch of the cording.
Using the paper plate as a gluing platform, spread glue all around about an inch of the cording.
DSC07767.JPG (33.33 KiB) Viewed 989 times
place the glued end of the cording onto the wrong side of one fabric strip leaving about an inch overhang
place the glued end of the cording onto the wrong side of one fabric strip leaving about an inch overhang
DSC07768.JPG (33.76 KiB) Viewed 989 times
Fold the end over about an inch to enclose the raw end of the cording.
Fold the end over about an inch to enclose the raw end of the cording.
DSC07769.JPG (31.7 KiB) Viewed 989 times
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Apply some more glue to the fabric wings and fold them over to enclose the end.

Then start wrapping the fabric around the cording at about a 45 degree angle covering the previous wrap about halfway. Keep the fabric snug around the cording.

When you get to the end of the strip, apply some glue to the last inch and wrap it around the cord.
Attachments
fold the 2 wings of fabric nicely around the end of the cord
fold the 2 wings of fabric nicely around the end of the cord
DSC07770.JPG (37.5 KiB) Viewed 986 times
wrap the strip around the cord at a 45 degree angle
wrap the strip around the cord at a 45 degree angle
DSC07771.JPG (31.56 KiB) Viewed 986 times
at the end of the strip place some glue on about the last inch and finish wrapping into place
at the end of the strip place some glue on about the last inch and finish wrapping into place
DSC07773.JPG (31.63 KiB) Viewed 986 times
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Apply some glue to the end of the next strip. Make sure you keep your strips going the same direction, overlapping your glued ends about an inch. Continue wrapping until you've wrapped all but about a the last 12 inches of cording. Do not glue the last end in place. Use the binder clip to hold it until you get to the end.

Set your machine for a wide zigzag stitch. You may need to run a swatch through your machine to see what width is best for you. I set my machine a 4.7 width and a 1.6 length. Try to keep your speed fairly slow at the start.

Fold over the finished end about a half to three quarters of an inch. You will need to hold this very firmly until you get a few rounds sewn. Be careful and don't sew over your fingers. Place it into the machine with the short side facing out (left); when you rotate the coil around it should be moving counter-clockwise as you go. Zigzag stictch over the joint catching each side of the piping with your needle as it zigzags. Keep going around, keeping the joint of the cording centered under the foot. It is better to look at the line formed between the cording than to look at what your needle is doing.
Attachments
keep wrapping until you've covered almost all of the cording
keep wrapping until you've covered almost all of the cording
DSC07774.JPG (32.27 KiB) Viewed 984 times
Fold over about a half inch of the finished end and hold firmly
Fold over about a half inch of the finished end and hold firmly
DSC07777.JPG (35.46 KiB) Viewed 984 times
Place your folded cord under the foot of your machine so that you have the junction of the 2 sides centered as best you can
Place your folded cord under the foot of your machine so that you have the junction of the 2 sides centered as best you can
DSC07778.JPG (33.85 KiB) Viewed 984 times
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Continue sewing around keeping the coil flat until you get the desired size for the bottom of the bowl.
For this bowl I counted 8 coils out from the center on each side. (if you stopped right here you'd have a nice little coaster)

To form the sides of your bowl, lift up on the left edge and hold this as you continue to sew around the coil. Depending on the angle you hold this at will determine whether your bowl is more vertical or flaired or rounded. It's all up to you and each one will be different.

As you are sewing, be careful not to pull or push on the bowl too hard as this can force your needle into the throat plate causing it to break or make very sharp sudden noises as it brushes the throat plate. Very easy to break or bend your needle so check it if you are getting funny noises from your machine as you sew.
Attachments
when ready to start forming the bowl, lift up the edge of the coil with your left hand and hold at your preferred angle as you continue to sew around
when ready to start forming the bowl, lift up the edge of the coil with your left hand and hold at your preferred angle as you continue to sew around
DSC07780.JPG (39.4 KiB) Viewed 980 times
This bowl came out with more vertical sides because the tilt was more vertical from the start
This bowl came out with more vertical sides because the tilt was more vertical from the start
DSC07785.JPG (35.57 KiB) Viewed 980 times
this bowl came out with rounded sides by starting out at a shallow slant and then getting increasingly vertical
this bowl came out with rounded sides by starting out at a shallow slant and then getting increasingly vertical
DSC07786.JPG (30.65 KiB) Viewed 980 times
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

As you get within a couple of yards of the end of your cording, you need to make a decision about handles for your bowl. If you want a handle on either side you'll need to start the handles with enough cordage left to go around the bowl twice. If you're just going to finish off with a little coil or rosette over the edge of your bowl, you can keep sewing around until you only have about 12 inches left.

For handles, reinforce the start of the first handle by sewing backwards and forwards for about an inch and then pull the bowl from the machine, clipping the threads so they don't get caught. Determine the length of your handle and then put a pin in where you'd like to start sewing. Determine where the opposite handle is going to be and place pins to mark this. You can either measure or eyeball; it's up to you. You will need to reinforce each side of each handle by backstitching. Once both handles are in place, continue sewing around just like you did for the bowl so that there are 2 layers of cording on each handle.
Attachments
Place marker pins on opposite sides of the bowl for handles
Place marker pins on opposite sides of the bowl for handles
DSC07787.JPG (48.8 KiB) Viewed 977 times
Sew one more coil around the handles to make them sturdy
Sew one more coil around the handles to make them sturdy
DSC07796.JPG (63.92 KiB) Viewed 977 times
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Finishing the Bowl:

To finish the end of the bowl, determine where the end is going to land and cut a taper into the raw cording. Finish the end by gluing the fabric on just like you made the starting end. Then sew all the way to the end backstitching to reinforce.

You can also finish the end with a straight cut, again gluing the fabric like the start. Then make a coil and either tack it down by hand or glue with a hot glue gun.

If there are any questions or you need clarification on a step, please post it here and I'll try to help. Have fun making bowls. They are very addictive and make great gifts!

I haven't done one yet, but I have a friend who made pie plate holders and gave them as a gift with a fresh baked pie. Great idea, huh?
Attachments
cut the raw cording at a taper to finish the end
cut the raw cording at a taper to finish the end
DSC07788.JPG (36.06 KiB) Viewed 973 times
Taper the end and sew along the edge
Taper the end and sew along the edge
DSC07797.JPG (65.39 KiB) Viewed 973 times
alternate finish with a coil tacked down below the rim
alternate finish with a coil tacked down below the rim
DSC07799.JPG (59.17 KiB) Viewed 973 times
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Great tutorial! Thanks so much. So of course I have a question. Since I have a tendency to snap needles, I want to make sure I start off with the appropriate one. To get through all of that cording, is an average needle adequate, or does it work better to have something more sharp?
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

jfugina wrote:Great tutorial! Thanks so much. So of course I have a question. Since I have a tendency to snap needles, I want to make sure I start off with the appropriate one. To get through all of that cording, is an average needle adequate, or does it work better to have something more sharp?
great question! And glad you asked it 'cause I forgot to put that in the supply list. You definitely need a denim/jeans needle to do this project. And be careful that you're not pulling or pushing as you feed the fabric through the machine. It's easy to snap a needle during the process. I'll go update the supplies now!
Paula

Post by Paula »

azemigh wrote:
jfugina wrote:Great tutorial! Thanks so much. So of course I have a question. Since I have a tendency to snap needles, I want to make sure I start off with the appropriate one. To get through all of that cording, is an average needle adequate, or does it work better to have something more sharp?
great question! And be careful that you're not pulling or pushing as you feed the fabric through the machine. It's easy to snap a needle during the process.

Now why would someone do that?? :lol:

Thanks for the tutorial Rachelle!!
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Well, I finished my bowl today and have a little different end to show you. I tapered the end like I would to just fade it into the rim, but instead formed a loop and tucked the end into the V formed by the coil. I tried to take pics of each step so you could see.
Attachments
tuck the tapered end into the V formed at the end of your stitching forming a loop
tuck the tapered end into the V formed at the end of your stitching forming a loop
DSC07801.JPG (47.51 KiB) Viewed 955 times
stitch about an inch on your normal line
stitch about an inch on your normal line
DSC07802.JPG (36.91 KiB) Viewed 955 times
back up and over stitch the other side of the V to anchor the end in well
back up and over stitch the other side of the V to anchor the end in well
DSC07804.JPG (42.24 KiB) Viewed 955 times
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Then continue stitching along the top of the bowl till you get to the start of the loop.
Attachments
stitch along the top edge as before until you reach the start of the loop
stitch along the top edge as before until you reach the start of the loop
DSC07805.JPG (50.98 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Voila' finished bowl!
Voila' finished bowl!
DSC07807.JPG (52.16 KiB) Viewed 955 times
djenns

Post by djenns »

Love the way you finished your bowl.......and thanks for teaching us such a fun project - I'm anxious to get mat'l and make some more :D

Diana
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Looks wonderful Rachelle. Great tutorial for sure. Now all I need is a machine so one of these days I can make one. Maybe have to be on the lookout at Goodwill.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Thank You for such a fine tutorial. I am going to give this a try!
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA