Homemade Gesso (Much cheaper than the real stuff)

New tricks to amaze your friends
azemigh

Homemade Gesso (Much cheaper than the real stuff)

Post by azemigh »

Gesso:

1 part white glue (I used regular Elmer's; if you use cheap watery glue reduce the water to 2 parts)
3 parts water
6 parts baby powder ( I didn't measure I just tipped the bottle and squeezed 6 times)
white paint (it depends on what kind of paint you have for the measurement) I just had a bottle of white acrylic from the craft store and ended up putting about 2 or 3 oz. If you have the thick stuff in a tube you might only need a tablespoon or so.

Mix everything up in an airtight container. I used an old applesauce jar. Consistancy will be like a pancake batter. It will settle out just like real gesso so you will need to shake or mix before using.

This will be a little rougher than real gesso because of the baby powder, but it does sand very well and takes paint well. It also takes a while to dry unless you use a heat gun to help it along.
pugmom

Re: Homemade Gesso (Much cheaper than the real stuff)

Post by pugmom »

Interesting. Baby powder....hmmmm.. Will definitely be trying this.. Thanks, Rachelle.
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Sounds like a winner for sure.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
Yoli

Post by Yoli »

a little off topic but since you have a homemade recipe I thought I would ask. I have a bottle of the store bought gesso that I purchased a number of years ago. I never used the stuff so it has stiffen on me. The stuff won't even pour out of the bottle. Do you think I should add water or glue to make it a little more like the pancake consistency you talked about in your recipe?
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I had a jar of gesso that did that and I added water to it. I just put it on top and let it sit for several hours and then stirred. I had to do it several times until it got to a consistency that I like.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

pbp908 wrote:I had a jar of gesso that did that and I added water to it. I just put it on top and let it sit for several hours and then stirred. I had to do it several times until it got to a consistency that I like.
yep, I would try what Pam said.
Yoli

Post by Yoli »

I've added a little water to it. Letting it seep in for a little while. Thanks!