Spellbinders Ornament Tutorial

New tricks to amaze your friends
Monica

Spellbinders Ornament Tutorial

Post by Monica »

Bear with me here, guys... I'm not really sure what I'm doing. :lol:

Gather these supplies:
Hot glue gun
nonstick mat (I used a kitchen mat I bought ages ago that was folded when I bought it... takes up less space)
double-sided patterned paper... you want a heavier weight, not text weight
die machine and plates
Spellbinders Cut & Fold & Tuck dies: S5-111, S5-112, S5-113, S5-114, S5-115

Select your papers and dies, then run through the machine. You'll want to make two each of the medium and small ones.

Fold and tuck according to directions. Make sure you fold one medium and one small on the contrasting side.

Find a mini tinsel that matches your papers.

Using the hot glue gun, glue tinsel to the BACKSIDE of each small and medium piece. I consider the front to be the side you did the fold & tuck on.

Glue the small piece onto the medium piece, and the medium piece onto the large piece, making sure to alternate patterns for contrast.

Repeat for remaining side. This is what it will look like when all pieces are glued together:

Once the glue has dried, decorate to your heart's content! I use Stickles for added glitz and glam. ;)
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
troublesmom

Re: Spellbinders Ornament Tutorial

Post by troublesmom »

Great job on those Monica. I borrowed Debs this weekend and did some pieces but didn't do opposite sides. I am going to play with putting them together the way they are and see how they turn out. I "need" those dies.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I played with Debs this weekend too and I need them!

Great tutorial
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
Monica

Post by Monica »

:happy94: Thanks! They are addicting once you start to play with them.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I use my paper piercer tool to *carefully* lift the paper from the die. I have heard that waxed paper is another way to do it, but keep forgetting to try that when I'm cutting more! :roll: The one I've found to be the most challenging to get out is S5-114 (Spectacular Spin). I've ended up cutting new pieces when a couple tore while I was trying to get them out. It's a bit fiddly to gently get them out, but so worth the small amount of effort!

Also, when selecting your PP for this, select paper with very contrasting front and back colors for the best effect, and stay away from heavily patterns. Any thicker weight double-sided PP will work, but the better ones are less patterned. I tried to make one using some older Basic Grey Christmas paper and the contrast is almost zilch; I'll be cutting some cardstock to use as contrasting layers on that one!
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Cool! I'm really thinking those dies are the Christmas list now!
Monica

Post by Monica »

Guess I know what's on everyone's Christmas list now! :lol: For what it's worth, all mine came from my local Joann's, and I used those handy 40% off coupons on them, which takes them from $30 to $18... much more affordable!
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

That is the only way Monica. I had no idea how much they were but using those coupons is the way to go for anything you get for your Secret Sister.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Lookin' good! Loved the tut.