Deck of Art: Queen of Spades - Wizard of Oz - due August 5

The Deck of Art challenge is where you use old playing cards as a base for altered art. Once card is chosen per week, with a theme, and results are posted here.
coolboxuk

Re: Deck of Art: Queen of Spades - Wizard of Oz - due August 5

Post by coolboxuk »

Here's my take on the theme:
Journal reads: "I probably saw the Wizard of Oz (dubbed in German) many times as a child, as it was on regularly as part of the Christmas-time children’s programmes. I can vaguely remember the characters and even less defined the storyline, but my all-time favourite of the film was the song “Somewhere over the Rainbow”. I would hum the melody for days, and I still like it even today!
It is anybody’s guess what I expected there to be on the other side of that rainbow – I truly can’t remember, but maybe it was the world of the fairies with whom I was quite taken at that time. I certainly envied my friend her fairy carnival outfit!
Photo Carnival 1969"
Background paper scrap from CS DIY kit; rainbow strips and worded labels from Colorbok Flavia block; Prima flower with Making Memories brad.
Attachments
DOA_wizard.jpg
DOA_wizard.jpg (80.59 KiB) Viewed 1375 times
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Love it!!!
Ruth Ann Landry

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

This attempt at art cracks me up...I did the feet, house, and flowers and threw it in the garbage...today, I hooked it out of the garbage and it made me laugh, so I just had to finish it. I added the words and the cairn terrier and called it good....those ugly flowers are spose to represent all those flowers in the "land over the rainbow".
Attachments
2004 02 17 001.JPG
2004 02 17 001.JPG (40.54 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
Paula

Post by Paula »

I think it is cute!!! So, you take things out of the garbage, too? I thought I was the only one!
coolboxuk

Post by coolboxuk »

Well done, Ruth Ann - I think this was a difficult theme and you've come up with something original! And by the way, don't think those flowers are ugly!
Paula

Post by Paula »

My translation is Wizard of Oz=magical=DisneyLand. It worked for me! I remember going to DisneyLand the first year it opened, and the awe and magical experience. I remember sitting as a child watching Abe Lincoln talk, wondering how they did that! It will always be magical to me.
Attachments
100_0203.JPG
100_0203.JPG (19.57 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Oh, I really like that, Paula!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
coolboxuk

Post by coolboxuk »

Another great card, Paula. Good way to interpret the theme - I think magical is just right!!! Love the monochromatic card with the one spot of colour, and the photo is truly magical...
azemigh

Re: Deck of Art: Queen of Spades - Wizard of Oz - due August

Post by azemigh »

Another cross-posting here with the cyber crop. I have to admit The Wizard of Oz is one of my guilty pleasures several times a year. I love the classic with Judy Garland and I even love the recent miniseries TinMan and the Tin Man is my absolute favorite character--I think it's all that metal!!!
Attachments
QueenofSpadesOZ.jpg
QueenofSpadesOZ.jpg (55.08 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
djenns

Post by djenns »

Great job on that :) being from Kansas people are always asking me about the Land of Oz - I keep telling people that I'm still looking for my red slippers and Toto :)

Diana
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I like!
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Ha ha, I bet it is all the metal!! :clap: