I can't believe I just...

What clubs do you belong to, what do they offer, would you recommend or beware...
pamcook

Re: I can't believe I just...

Post by pamcook »

The only club I would stay clear of is Studio Calico. It’s very difficult to buy add-on items - they sell out within minutes - and it’s very difficult to cancel. I found their customer “service” lacking (to say the least). Hopefully they’ve improved.
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Barbara - you were asking about embellishments, and yes they do send some things, but for the most part, it's either stickers or another piece of cardstock meant to be cut apart. They also often will send a paper with a very large pattern, and rather than use it whole, they use it for cutting out embellishments. That annoys me, because I am not amused by sitting there with scissors doing "fussy cutting". But I suspect the lack of dimensional stuff keeps their shipping costs low because they can pack each kit pretty flat.

I will post pics of the empty layouts as I get them done. This month the layouts appear to be one girlish, one boyish and three pastel flowery ones. They're pretty, and fairly generic. The Alison kit is valentines day based, which is fine, but it likely go unused. Then there was a freebie kit in there as well that was winter/snow day themed. I'm going to try to get those all put together with what's left of my afternoon.

Edit: spent the better part of the afternoon making letters for titles and my cricut and laptop were giving each other the cold shoulder, so technology put a kink in my day, rather than making it better... technology often does that. I'll get my kits assembled and posted as soon as I'm able.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Of all the kit clubs I've ever belonged to (and there have been more than a few), I have enjoyed the Hip Kit Club the best. You get everything you need at a reasonable price and it's all updated supplies. I had to take a break from ALL clubs to get caught up. I have 5 kits I'm taking to ReCreate in May to use up.
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Oh how I want to love kits, but I've never found one that seems to suit me just right. For the most part I find the contents too girly both in terms of colours and style. They pretty much all include cardstock; for years I said I could scrap in a World Without Cardstock (I prefer patterned paper for my background) - and while I do use more cardstock now, I already own 3 lifetimes' worth. Many kits include lots of generic prints which I know is what the majority of scrappers prefer - or are at least what the majority of manufacturers are making - but I'm still a big fan of themed product. But then it needs to be a theme that I'll use ;)
I have ordered individual kits over the years from various kit clubs, once I've seen the contents and figure a particular kit will be a good value for me. I seem to have far better success with individual page or project kits or paper collections. It sure doesn't stop me from looking though.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

It's definitely true that not all clubs will appeal to all people. With CS, it got to the point where most months I was like "WTF am I ever supposed to use that for?" and I had to just go with color palette, because otherwise the layout would never get used. I got some of the most gorgeous stuff I own from Swirlydoos when I was a member there. Unfortunately, that's when I discovered that vintage-y/retro, elegant and sophisticated, or pretty much anything they sent is NOT my go-to style. I still have it all, because it's still some of the most beautiful stuff I own. But I can rarely reconcile that style with what I typically scrap.

Enter SG. Almost everything they send is what most people would classify as "cute". I don't disagree. But since dang near every layout I've done in the past 15 years has a kid in it, cute is exactly the feeling I want most of the time. So there will come a time when my kids are adults, and I'll either scrap less overall, or I'll scrap them with more grown-up papers. But until that time, what SG sends each month is exactly what I'm most likely to use.

Also, for me, since I'm massively sketch dependent, I've decided to not even consider clubs that don't come with instructions for getting it all used up. But that's just me. :-)
Julie Fugina
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Before reading this thread, I joined CS today. :lol: CM was my first in experiencing scrapbooking and then it was CS. I've tried Studio Calico and SG. For now, I just need to get back in the groove and I think a kit will help me with that.
Laurie Bennett #118 on POA
North Carolina
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

That was exactly my motivation as well Laurie - I just needed to get a little something delivered each month to remind me to go play!

Funny thing - since receiving my kit on Saturday, I've done everything except put any part of that new kit together! LOL. But it got me in the scrap room for several hours, so the mission was accomplished.
Julie Fugina