Orient Express et al... musings

What clubs do you belong to, what do they offer, would you recommend or beware...
Kellacious

Re: Orient Express et al... musings

Post by Kellacious »

I think the longer term CS members are missing the wonderful different textures that were kind of the hallmark of CS paper. You know, the paisley impress, the thorn impress (Simply Beautiful) and such that you really can't find anywhere else. I'm guessing that the cost of doing that combined with a smaller customer base (just guessing) is proving to be a challenge.

I'm probably going to have to go on a hiatus from buying anything crafty to get my credit card debt under control. Plus, I have enough stuff to stock a good-sized store anyway.

Kelli
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Monica wrote:Okay, okay... and Pat and I keep poking sticks at the hornet's nest!
Thanks for keeping me in the limelight Monica! As I go to hide my head behind that big old rock over there.... ;)

I am surely not one of the rabid koolaid drinkers anymore...I just can't help myself at times with what I might say.

Kellacious wrote:I think the longer term CS members are missing the wonderful different textures that were kind of the hallmark of CS paper. You know, the paisley impress, the thorn impress (Simply Beautiful) and such that you really can't find anywhere else. I'm guessing that the cost of doing that combined with a smaller customer base (just guessing) is proving to be a challenge.
Yeah, I miss the CS of years ago, but there are tons of other companies out there to use as well...and I do. :D
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
Monica

Post by Monica »

Ah, Pat... no need to hide behind a rock here! We embrace outspoken PAOers! :happy94:

Monica
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Lord knows if you all didn't I'd have been run out on a rail long ago!

You can actually pick up some of the exact same paper that CS uses from California Paper Company. As for the textured paper - the paper is purchased with the embossing/texture already there - it's not generally a proprietary die that's used. Linen texture, grass cloth weave, etc. are all standard industry textures. The paper may cost a fraction more, but unless CS is having custom dies made then it shouldn't be that big a factor in the price of the kit.

It's not just the texture changes that I noticed. The paper is not as heavy and it seems to be missing something in the finishing - I don't know if I'd call it a coating or what, but there is a finish that's missing. All in all, with the paper changes, the design changes (or lack thereof), the sameness of the colors and the lack of anything new and trendy, I just don't purchase from them anymore.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Pam, is it really called California Paper Company? I just googled and got several variations, all looked interesting.

What amuses me is how often we do this whole lament about the old CS. We may have been rebels but we still long for the good old days :tomato:
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

It's California Paper Goods. Sorry, I was at work trying to rely on my memory. The website is:
http://californiapapergoods.com/

Yep, I think we would like the good old days back, but they've moved on. Oh well, my taste has moved on, too.
Pam P.

Monica

Post by Monica »

Oops! :oops: You caught me, Marianne! :lol: :lol: :lol: For me, it's kind of like that addiction I just can't *quite* shake, which is probably why I am still on their message boards and look at the kit each month. Or maybe I just keep hoping they will wake up and get a clue? Oh well. I have learned and discovered so many new cool techniques and products from all you enablers here, which I would like to say THANK YOU for. :happywave: :happywave:

Monica
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

This one will save you having to follow all of the links:
http://www.cpgeast.com/
Pam P.

mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Thanks, Pam I was just there having a look at some of the websites. Hadn't gotten to that one yet though.
What I am interested in are some nice quality white or cream cards and envies to put small photos on the fronts. I thought cards with scenes around our area would make a nice gift for our house exchangers. I might even do postcards for them to mail home.

And, yes, Monica, I get the emails and just spent quite a bit of time at the Cinema this afternoon watching Tricia do her thing. She is such a professional and makes every second of a video count. I cringe when I watch other videos on youtube after her. We have all learned so much from CS but as Pam said we all move on. Sometimes it's together and sometimes it's separately.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

mpizzazz wrote:We have all learned so much from CS
One of the things I LIKE, is that I was able to learn to make projects from book board, matte board, glue and wonderful papers of all kinds...and take it all to the next level. Projects of all kind make me a happy girl.
With that knowledge I have discovered so much more in the crafting world.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

pat-czap wrote:
mpizzazz wrote:We have all learned so much from CS
One of the things I LIKE, is that I was able to learn to make projects from book board, matte board, glue and wonderful papers of all kinds...and take it all to the next level. Projects of all kind make me a happy girl.
With that knowledge I have discovered so much more in the crafting world.

Absolutely, I agree, Pat! Tricia is such a wonderful teacher who made it all look so easy.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

mpizzazz wrote:Absolutely, I agree, Pat! Tricia is such a wonderful teacher who made it all look so easy.
People always say to me...YOU MADE THAT?

I say yes, it's easy once you know how.

With imagination, videos and the wonderful ability to read and follow directions, LOL, I can do just about anything I set out to do.

It's very gratifying. :)
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
Monica

Post by Monica »

You know, it's the cool projects and Tricia's fun, yet easy to follow videos that made me a diehard CSer for so many years. I did CIAB and the first two years of RIAB and really enjoyed them all. It was a tough decision this year to not get the RIAB, but I already have so much stuff!

Monica