Altered Art Ideas & how-to

Low-pressure summer fun! Check in here for challenges to help keep your mojo flowing during the summer.
pugmom

Altered Art Ideas & how-to

Post by pugmom »

Altered art is just taking an item and giving it a facelift or repurposing it or taking multiple items and putting them together to create something new (useful or not). So, before throwing those cans, boxes or bottles in the garbage, think about how you could turn them into something beautiful or quirky with a little paint, ink, paper and bling.

A few things you may want to look for to alter are cans, jars, bottles, boxes, tins, plastic containers, old picture frames, books, flower pots, wooden spoons or other utensils, spools, coasters, dominoes...... the list is endless. Then gather other items to use on your piece..... old jewelry, paper clips, cardstock, fibers, fabric, wire, tissue tape, brads, flowers, paint, alcohol ink, perfect pearls, stamps. Look in junk drawers or the garage and find unusual little items.

There are no rules here. I just want you to have fun.

Oh, there will be a prize sent to a randomly chosen winner from the list of entries posted to this challenge.
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
pugmom

Re: NSD - Altered Art Ideas & CHALLENGE

Post by pugmom »

Here are a few examples for you.

Old salt and pepper shakers, dangly earrings and wire - photo holders. For the pendant, I cut a piece of birch bark (you could use cardboard or grungeboard, covered it with Perfect Pearls, added two pieces of old broken jewelry and covered the whole thing with UTEE.
Altered Art Samples 001.jpg
Altered Art Samples 001.jpg (63.91 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
An old box - gesso over the original paint, a layer of black paint, a layer of white paint, some sanding, flowers printed from The Graphics Fairy, several coats of Mod Podge. The border around the top is rolled paper, the handles are cut from an old belt.
Box before and after.jpg
Box before and after.jpg (58.35 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
A biscuit tin and scrapbook paper
biscuit tin before and after.jpg
biscuit tin before and after.jpg (52.65 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

This is the lid from a jewelry tin. It was pretty to begin with, but I wanted it to look old, so I went easy with the sanding, but tried to highlight the flowers and leaves with alcohol ink.
Altered Tin Lid.jpg
Altered Tin Lid.jpg (63.29 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
If you want to alter a tin with alcohol ink........
1. Lightly sand and wipe clean. I take off most of the words, but like to keep some background color.
2. Apply alcohol ink - spread it, pool it, dab it, go in different directions.
3. Lightly sand in all directions and wipe clean.
4. Apply more alcohol ink and sand until you get it where you want it. For the final coat I like to give it a steaked look by swiping from one side to the other and up and down.
5. If you want a shiny finish, apply a coat or two of glossy accents with a foam brush
6. Embellish with found items.
altering a tin.jpg
altering a tin.jpg (54.69 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

A lovely, one of a kind altered tin filled with a variety of items to use in altered art or mixed media. :D
prize 001.jpg
prize 001.jpg (86.55 KiB) Viewed 1220 times
prize 002.jpg
prize 002.jpg (65.72 KiB) Viewed 1220 times