Help Storing Paper

A great location for discussions about all things organizational. From supplies to creations - how do you keep your crafts organized?
Monica

Re: Help Storing Paper

Post by Monica »

It's funny that the kit breakdown conversation has resurfaced. I tried it, but I ended up reassembling mine into kits again after a couple months because I got frustrated looking for something. And Pam is right that there is no one perfect way to do things. I've changed and evolved mine several times. The shelves of stand up file folders work best for me, because I can still see the colors and they're labeled... mostly. :lol: I currently have the mother load of Disney scrap crap all over my extra table while I'm working on the WDW trip, with the goal of USING as much of it as I can. I broke down and bought several Scrapbook Generations sketchbooks and am loving them for this project. A lot of the papers with that are on the thinner side, but I'm not finding it the issue I felt it was before. and I'm also finding that a fair amount can/should be purged before I put things away.

Best thing I did for myself early this year, which thrilled a girlfriend of mine, was to give her a huge pile of cardstock. I still have three shoeboxes of CS POPs for matting and diecuts, and I'm finding myself using PP more as a base... and I wanted the space. I still have a stack of cardstock, but it's mostly CS kits or specialty like the TH distress stuff that can be sanded for a cool look.

I do like the idea of keeping PP scraps together to dig through and I'm swiping it for the next time I feel a purge coming on!
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Shimelle's new class will be about scrapbooking Disney. Should be fun. I need to print all those pictures!
Pam Cook #48
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Speaking of Shimelle's new class, I'm looking at the new one from page maps which starts today. Includes sketches and cut files. Has anyone taken any of their classes? It's only $18. I guess I should go for it. My studio calico class ends this week. Why not get in over my head?

The reason I am feeling attracted to it is that I would like to take a class from a site that isn't too heavily associated with a product line. For instance, none of my sketches this month have been made with Studio Calico kittens. So I don't feel right posting my layouts there. Not that it should really matter to me. But it does, anyway.

Edited: Kittens??? Seriously, Siri????
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Again, speaking of Shimelle's Disney class, I still haven't scrapped my visit in 2004 with Mallory. Hmmm.
Too precious????
I'm over that now.
As soon as I finish her wedding, I'll start Disney.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

yeah, I have at least three Disney World trips that aren't scrapped yet. One will just get printed and stuffed in a regular album, and the other is digi and I lost interest after scrapping about 3 days. Then there's the Aulani trip, and a couple of cruises. Unfortunately, I'm pretty much "over" scrapping Disney photos. I will eventually go back and finish that one trip that I started with digi, but the rest will likely have a single layout to represent the entire vacation. :-o
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Way back I did the pizza box towers or open files but my big problem with storing anything out in the open is fading. I have 6 big windows in my room and any paper or fabric left out fades a lot. I have noticed even in my Iris carts where envelopes and finished cards live, fading around their edges. So everything needs to be in solid drawers or cupboards which limits how much stuff I can have. And that's a good thing!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

pamcook wrote:Shimelle's new class will be about scrapbooking Disney. Should be fun. I need to print all those pictures!
Oooh, that makes me want to take a trip. Quick! My big Disney trip with family is already scrapped - but it was over a decade ago. Somewhere I've got photos from when I took Rebecca when she was a kid - so we're talking more than 30 years ago - I'm not holding out hope that they'll be great photos when I find them. Other than that I just have a handful of photos from a single day trip to Disneyland with an ex-boyfriend, also a couple decades old now. Eventually I'll scrap them, if only because Disney is such a fun subject.

However, I'm thinking that Shimelle's class could probably be applied to any theme park type of photos, or perhaps even other travel photos.

Monica, I do hope you'll post your Disney pages someplace when you do them. Did you see that Scrapbook Generations has a Disney-specific set of sketches out? Digital I think, and not very expensive.
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

ScrappinJen wrote:Again, speaking of Shimelle's Disney class, I still haven't scrapped my visit in 2004 with Mallory. Hmmm.
Too precious????
I'm over that now.
As soon as I finish her wedding, I'll start Disney.
That's the year of the trip I scrapped. You've reminded me I want to get the rest of the pages uploaded to my Flickr account so they're all in one place.
Monica

Post by Monica »

Keitha wrote:
pamcook wrote:Shimelle's new class will be about scrapbooking Disney. Should be fun. I need to print all those pictures!
Oooh, that makes me want to take a trip. Quick! My big Disney trip with family is already scrapped - but it was over a decade ago. Somewhere I've got photos from when I took Rebecca when she was a kid - so we're talking more than 30 years ago - I'm not holding out hope that they'll be great photos when I find them. Other than that I just have a handful of photos from a single day trip to Disneyland with an ex-boyfriend, also a couple decades old now. Eventually I'll scrap them, if only because Disney is such a fun subject.

However, I'm thinking that Shimelle's class could probably be applied to any theme park type of photos, or perhaps even other travel photos.

Monica, I do hope you'll post your Disney pages someplace when you do them. Did you see that Scrapbook Generations has a Disney-specific set of sketches out? Digital I think, and not very expensive.
I have the one that they did with Simple Stories using the Say Cheese line, because I'm using that stash up for this album. But I haven't bought any digi sketches. I have sooo many sketches bookmarked and pinned, but I find myself going back to the actual books because I get sucked into the internet otherwise.

And yes, I will post them. Just need to start taking pictures of them and figure out a new free online place to replace photobucket.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Use Google Drive
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Monica wrote:
Keitha wrote:
I have the one that they did with Simple Stories using the Say Cheese line, because I'm using that stash up for this album. But I haven't bought any digi sketches. I have sooo many sketches bookmarked and pinned, but I find myself going back to the actual books because I get sucked into the internet otherwise.
And yes, I will post them. Just need to start taking pictures of them and figure out a new free online place to replace photobucket.
I keep going back to my sketchbooks also. When I weeded out the craft books a couple weeks ago I didn't think twice about keeping all those. I know Say Cheese was immensely popular, but I just don't love the black/white/red/yellow colour palette - even with the bit of aqua thrown in. I know those are Mickey colours, but there are so many other wonderful colours in the parks. And even if I loved the line, I'd have a hard time doing so many layouts using just that; it was hard enough to get that project finished when I mixed it up. I know that takes care of a lot of the decisions making the process faster, but I did that once with an album and really found it boring to work on by the end. So kudos to you Monica, for sticking with it.
Debbie, do you pay for extra storage on Google drive? I'm already at my free limit, just with emails as I use it for work. Is it easy to share specific albums with specific people?
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Rob and I are heading to DisneyWorld for a quick getaway this weekend! Probably won't have a ton of pics though, unless we spend a lot of time in Pandora.

If anyone takes that scrapping Disney class, let me know what you think! I gave up on actually scrapping our Disney trips a while back. Many of the photos are the same photos I've taken for years. I'm over it. :lol:
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

I just started using Google Drive and it's been easy so far. I'm not at my limit but the additional storage is only 9.99 a year.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I haven't got the first Disney photo since it was 1973 when I was there and haven't been back since. :-o I do, however, have the Say Cheese kit and have used it for other things. I'll probably toss the Disney things from it unless someone wants them.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I would use the Disney items!
Pam Cook #48