Craft room video

A great location for discussions about all things organizational. From supplies to creations - how do you keep your crafts organized?
Keitha

Re: Craft room video

Post by Keitha »

Years ago when I did an organizing class, one of the exercises was to find photos online of scrappy rooms we liked the look of and analyse what we liked about them. We considered everything from the overall decor and color scheme to furniture placement and flow, but mostly looked at how things were stored and figured out what worked best for us and our own personal style of scrapping. Specifically we considered if we wanted our supplies visible or not visible, and if we preferred containers that were closed or open. That's when I learned what worked best for me, and even though my studio goes through a transformation occasionally, either to accommodate new things or different interests, those principles remain constant.
My point is that I think there's merit to watching these videos - even if it's just fast-forwarding through them - to glean ideas or see storage pieces in action to assess their usefulness.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I agree, Keitha. But conspicuous consumption can get very boring very quickly.

Now that I have the demon spawn living with me, my supplies are mostly going underground. He even climbs up into the clipped items and has discovered the joy of unrolling ribbons. Since he can jump 10x his length, I can't even put a partial block across the doorway.

Do not believe the description of Manx on the cat sites. :-o
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

pbp908 wrote:I agree, Keitha. But conspicuous consumption can get very boring very quickly.
Agreed - which is why I prefer looking at photos to viewing videos. Sadly, they are what everyone seems to want to do/see these days. But I know how to stop and start the video skipping over most of it, and I'm not afraid to do it. ;)
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Pam C...Sorry to be a negative gal with my post, I appreciate you looking out for us, and to keep us informed.

Keitha wrote:
pbp908 wrote:I agree, Keitha. But conspicuous consumption can get very boring very quickly.
Agreed - which is why I prefer looking at photos to viewing vidios. Sadly, they are what everyone seems to want to do/see these days. But I know how to stop and start the video skipping over most of it, and I'm not afraid to do it. ;)
I too, think photos work well, you get none of that blah, blah, blah videos have. They tend to be verbal monotony to me.

Another weird video theme is the ...Look what I scored today. The exception being one I saw a few years back that was a hoot. The gal was showing things she bought, not knowing what it was for, but YouTube said she needed it.

One more thing to say, I could NEVER keep a craft area so neat, sanitized as in that video. I would feel so uninspired.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

pat-czap wrote:Pam C...Sorry to be a negative gal with my post, I appreciate you looking out for us, and to keep us informed.

Keitha wrote:
Agreed - which is why I prefer looking at photos to viewing vidios. Sadly, they are what everyone seems to want to do/see these days. But I know how to stop and start the video skipping over most of it, and I'm not afraid to do it. ;)
I too, think photos work well, you get none of that blah, blah, blah videos have. They tend to be verbal monotony to me.

Another weird video theme is the ...Look what I scored today. The exception being one I saw a few years back that was a hoot. The gal was showing things she bought, not knowing what it was for, but YouTube said she needed it.

One more thing to say, I could NEVER keep a craft area so neat, sanitized as in that video. I would feel so uninspired.
:clap:
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

pat-czap wrote:
You should be massively inspired in my room then! :lol: At the moment, it's difficult to even walk in that room and one practically has to climb over bins to get in there.

However, I could get behind the "sanitized" approach if my craft room had to double as something else, like a guest bedroom or a home office. But I'd still want garage-style or retractable doors on the cabinets so I could leave them open and see everything.

I also agree about the bragging nature of many of these craft room videos, and it's why I fast forward through most of them. I don't want to see the stash piece for piece - I want to see how the storage is architected. And speaking of storage, I also noticed in the few bits I listened to that a lot of the little bins/containers came from the Container Store. And if that was where most of her little interior bins came from, then I could see that room easily costing well over $10k to put together (not including the actual stash, of course). My interior containers are things like shoe boxes and coffee tins (all made lovely by covering with pretty paper, of course). I'd much rather spend my money on tools and paper than clear plastic containers to put it all in. But that's just me. Hey - maybe I should make a video of my craft room and show all of my storage hacks that didn't cost hardly anything. It's not at all cohesive, but it seems to work. LOL!
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

pat-czap wrote: ...Another weird video theme is the ...Look what I scored today. The exception being one I saw a few years back that was a hoot. The gal was showing things she bought, not knowing what it was for, but YouTube said she needed it.
I don't get haul videos, either. Especially the ones where they've bought a LOT of stuff/spent a fortune; I wonder if they'll ever look back that those in future and wonder 'what was I thinking'? I never saw the one you mentioned which sounds entertaining; the other one that comes to my mind is where some gal had her husband unpack her box and video it because she was away, he pulled stuff out and speculated on what it was for/what she'd do with it. That was pretty funny, too.

In a perfect world like my space to be neat and attractive, but sterile is boring and unappealing to me - no matter how much money was spent on it. I wouldn't be happy if there weren't some things around to personalize it, and don't mind the everyday mess that occurs when I'm working here.
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Loved that video of the hubby opening the box and doing the video of it.

If a Tuesday Morning haul video comes up as a suggestion, I sometimes watch them just to be sure I don't miss something super cool coming to mine.

I do enjoy the craft room videos sometimes... more when they're using everyday stuff in a creative storage way. Of course... if I ever get my room done, I may make a video just so I'll remember the momentous occasion. Right now, it's just where I stick stuff because Chevie won't let me work in a separate room from where she is. I don't have my base cabinets or countertop... I don't even have flooring yet since Arthur took it out.... oh ... and I only have upper walls... all the lower wall is still torn out. So.... be forewarned... I'll be bragging and showing every nook and cranny. LMAO
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Okay, I went back & watched the video, fast forwarding a lot.

Her organization was exceptional.

Her supplies were emence.

Long story short, I have a LOT of stuff, not the best organized nor used. A big purge is in my future.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Though my room is typically messy I usually can find what I want and usually it's within the reach of my rather orangutang length arms. :lol: I will defend the usage of those fridge binz. Pricy yes, but the majority of my open shelves are filled with them and it enables me to see at a glance the category of stamps or dies I'm looking for. I also use them in my fridge! :shock:

My one thought about the sterile and organized craft rooms...I wish my kitchen looked so good. Those craft rooms always make me think a kitchen designer did the work rather than a crafter. They are gorgeous but just not my style for crafting. I do enjoy fast forwarding through them and get one or two storage ideas.

I think I may know of the woman's video who showed all she bought but couldn't remember what most of it was for. It was hilarious. There was also one that was interesting if not a bit disturbing of a young man living with parents and had his entire bedroom transformed into a seriously crammed craft room. He slept on the floor since there was no room for a bed. He had some kind of relationship with Prima. It was fascinating but at the same time seemed really unhealthy.

Really, I am just thankful that I am able to have a dedicated craft room.
FARLEY in Sacramento
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

paddlegal wrote:Really, I am just thankful that I am able to have a dedicated craft room.
This.

I will admit to having craft room fantasies, but the reality is, I've always been happy to have dedicated space to cram it all into, and probably wouldn't choose to spend the money on that kind of remodel even if I had the money to spend.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

It is so clean! At its best, my room never looks like this.
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO