Quilters?

Notes to and from the paowers that be
pamcook

Quilters?

Post by pamcook »

So, I had to wash my quilt (cat puke event). I washed it in cold water with soap berries. Evidently, she didn't pre-wash the fabric and now there are pink squares instead of ivory. I'm sick.
Should I just try washing it in hopes that the pink will fade away? Even I know you ALWAYS pre wash fabric. :cry:
Pam Cook #48
azemigh

Re: Quilters?

Post by azemigh »

Actually, I don't ever prewash fabric in a quilt, unless maybe I was doing red and white. I would try testing one of the pink squares with some diluted oxyclean and see if that might lift it. If you dried the quilt in a dryer you may be stuck with it. They do sell those dye absorbers (sorry, don't know what they're called) that you put in the washer with the quilt that's supposed to suck all the dye that bleeds into the wash water.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Google 'fabric colors running on quilt' or something like that. There are other things quilters use but can't think of them right now. I think Synthrapol is to set the colors when you wash the fabric, might be too late for that now.

And, yes, I prewash my fabric-most of the time-unless it is small precut pieces.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Thanks for the info.
As I thought, the color catchers seem to never work for anyone. I did find some unconventional recommendations so I'm going to give them a try. At least I can't make it worse.
Pam Cook #48
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

I use the Shout color catchers all the time and have fairly good luck with them.

I might sggest also trying the OXI gel stick on the white parts, sometimes I have luck with that even when something has gone through the dryer.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Once we get our water lines fixed, I'm going to give these ideas a try. About 1/4 of the (king size) quilt has turned pink. It's going to be a major job, I'm afraid.

I read one suggestion to wash it in the tube with Dawn. Is there anything Dawn doesn't do?
Pam Cook #48
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

pamcook wrote:Once we get our water lines fixed, I'm going to give these ideas a try. About 1/4 of the (king size) quilt has turned pink. It's going to be a major job, I'm afraid.

I read one suggestion to wash it in the tube with Dawn. Is there anything Dawn doesn't do?

oh yes! that too.

Dawn is amazing, even gets grease stains out of clothes that have been washed and machine dried. I always forget about it.