forum clean-up question

Notes to and from the paowers that be
Monica

forum clean-up question

Post by Monica »

Yah, I know, I know.... who wants to do that?! :lol: Here's my thought for discussion: we've been here for 4 1/2 years, which is a LOT of topics everywhere. What if we cleaned out some of those really old threads, especially in areas like Off Topic, ReCreate, and Garage Sale/RAKs? And yes, I realize that I can only clean up the two areas I took responsibiltiy for and this would mean more work for the global mods. If you guys are in favor of some clean-up but no one has time to devote to it, I'd be happy to do it if Julie wanted to give me temporary global admin access for this project. One of the things that comes to mind is relocating picture threads to the appropriate gallery area instead of other areas they may have been posted. (and yes, I'm very guilty of doing this myself!)

Thoughts? Comments? Opinions? Our forum could use a little dose of spring cleaning...
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
azemigh

Re: forum clean-up question

Post by azemigh »

It's a great idea and major kudos to you for volunteering! :cool5:
Monica

Post by Monica »

So Rachelle... would you like to see everything but the gallery cleaned up, or just certain areas?
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

great idea
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

I love what you did with the Camp POWWOW art. Personally, I wouldn't mind cleaning old threads that just have chitchat; would love to have consolidated art threads and especially have how to's and tutorials in the tutorial thread so you can find them when you're looking for them.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I don't know about the rest of you, but the only threads I'd hate to see gone are the very first couple of weeks of the forum's inception - I go back and re-read them around the time of PAO's birthday/anniversary. They're funny as heck and remind me of those silly giddy days when we all felt like we were being so bad. :lol:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

With the exceptions already listed, I wouldn't mind a little bit of clean-up. There is a "pruning" option on the admin panel, but I've never used it because it goes through and cleans up based on stuff like how old a topic is. A hatchet rather than a scalpel, as it were.

Monica - I think I could make you a regular moderator if you wanted to tidy up a bit. Lord knows I don't want to deal with it - I barely get any crafting time as it is. I generally try to avoid spending it on web site housekeeping. :tomato:
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Monica

Post by Monica »

I'm happy to undertake the chore, Julie... but can I still be the purple-maroon color? ;) And I promise not to remove the first couple weeks or so of posts!
Monica

Post by Monica »

Okay, I've cleaned up the cyber-crop & summer camp areas. I'm thinking that the tutorial-type threads will need to be moved to that section of the forum instead of cluttering up the cyber-crop area. Yes? No?

Also, would you like to see a separate folder in the galleria that will have each event's artwork saved to it after the event is done? Or would you like them in a folder in the events area? I would prefer to have them all relocated to one spot, rather than filling up the cyber-crop area, as they will eventually take over the first page.... thoughts?

Oh, and on an unrelated note... if you happen to find any sketches or links to sketches in the forum, PM me where they are as I would like to eventually combine those into one thread for easy access. That would include any sketches... cards, layouts, tags... I was thinking one thread for card sketches, to include the monthly card sketch, and one for layouts, to include the monthly sketch.
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

:happy94:
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I think a folder in the gallery for each event would be great. Or maybe a gallery folder for each challenge? That way if you're looking for ideas for, say, using up those darned eyelets or fibers that we all collect, we could look there. I had no idea you could move photos to the gallery or I would have done some of that a long time ago. All I tried to do was move things into the right folders. (i.e. off topic threads into the Life Outside of Art folders)
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I have absolutely no luck putting anything in the gallery. I know I must be doing something wrong but just don't understand it.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
Monica

Post by Monica »

Let me clarify here... when I said "galleria" I was referring to the one listed in the board index, not the separate gallery area. I have no idea if things could be moved between the forum and that gallery, but there's no reason that threads couldn't be moved from, say, the Cyber-crop area to an appropriate folder in the gallery area. For some reason I never remember that we have a separate gallery! Another thing that could be done would be to create a thread for each person who posted layouts, like Christy, then move her older-than-six months layouts to that folder and delete the threads they were attached to....

Am I scaring you all yet? :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm really in a reorganize and clean mood (at least online)
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I was scared from the beginning. I know nothing of what you talk of :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

That sounds like a lot of work, Monica, to move an individual's posts to one place. And really we all should use that "other" Gallery to create and organize our own albums and post in them but we don't. The gallery in the forums seems to be more accessible and immediate for everyone.
I'm all for consolidating the event artwork but I wish there was a way that layouts could be with layouts, mixed media with other mixed media, cards with cards, etc, but that sounds too tedious to sort it all.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com