Earthquake

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
paddlegal

Earthquake

Post by paddlegal »

I'm fine and no damage in Sacramento that I know of. But it's always a bit disconcerting as you are falling asleep and your bed feels like a roller coaster ride. First one was mild followed 5 minutes later by a bigger one. It was a 5.8 centered in Hawthorne NV. Maybe 150 miles from us as the crow flies?

Living in California all my life you'd think I'd be used to it. Going to try and go to sleep now. Naturally I'm getting up in just a few hours to bird with a friend.
FARLEY in Sacramento
katymjo

Re: Earthquake

Post by katymjo »

That sounds scary! Glad you're safe, Farley. Enjoy the birding.
Kathryn.
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Oh boy, that's scary.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I haven't even watched the news this morning.
:shock: There's not getting used to earthquakes. When your foundation is shaking, it's scary. I don't care who you are. The few times I've experienced them, I felt like I had to be on guard - just in case a bigger one was coming next. No warning is the worst part!

:happy94:
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Thanks for telling us you are ok, Farley. I'll check the news.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I hadn't heard the news either - but I'm glad to hear you're OK!

I suspect CA and earthquakes are like the midwest and tornadoes, or the east coast and hurricanes. It doesn't matter how many times you've experienced it, it still never gets any less frightening. :happy94:
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Monica

Post by Monica »

Glad to hear you're safe. It is definitely disconcerting to wake up to everything moving and shaking!
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
nancine

Post by nancine »

Didn't feel a thing here - about 200 miles as the crow flies :lol:
Funny, this morning over coffee my Dad and I were discussing earthquakes, not knowing about this one!
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I wondered if you would feel anything, Nancy. Glad you posted.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

After birding early this morning I played with my Wednesday craft friends. When I asked them about the earthquake the response was "what earthquake?" :lol: I think most people slept through it. Charley was still awake but in bed and had no idea there'd been any quakes. But Bob was downstairs and I was up in bed and there was no mistaking we were having multiple quakes. I still haven't heard if there was any actual damage at the epicenter. I just got going again this morning at 6 am to take a friend birding. She didn't feel it either, LOL.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

The only earthquake I remember experiencing here was the one that occurred in Virginia about 5 years ago. Our building was swaying and it was evident to me, anyway, what it was. I evacuated everyone from the building - they all thought I was crazy until they heard the news reports. 1st floor didn't feel a thing, but the 2nd and 3rd floors were rocking. I'd be terrified if it were closer and stronger. You're a brave woman, Farley!
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

pbp908 wrote:The only earthquake I remember experiencing here was the one that occurred in Virginia about 5 years ago. Our building was swaying and it was evident to me, anyway, what it was. I evacuated everyone from the building - they all thought I was crazy until they heard the news reports. 1st floor didn't feel a thing, but the 2nd and 3rd floors were rocking. I'd be terrified if it were closer and stronger. You're a brave woman, Farley!

Nahhh, not brave. I'm sure Nancy has experienced as many as I have. Well maybe not quite as many since she is so much younger is Nancy Young. :D But growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area like Nancy, we experienced them on a regular basis. My home town of San Leandro is near the Hayward Fault. Lots of rumbles.

And good for you Pam for taking the initiative to get your staff out of the building.
FARLEY in Sacramento
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Glad to hear that you are ok, Farley. Having lived in Berkeley for 9 years and being there during the 1989 quake, I understand what you're saying. You never get used to them, you just recognize them more easily.
nancine

Post by nancine »

azemigh wrote:Glad to hear that you are ok, Farley. Having lived in Berkeley for 9 years and being there during the 1989 quake, I understand what you're saying. You never get used to them, you just recognize them more easily.
Exactly! The '89 was a big one... and there was a fairly big one in '84 when I was preganant and over-due with Dana. My Mom thought surely that would induce labor :lol:
They are still scary. When they start you wonder if it will be over quick or brace for something worse.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

nancine wrote:
azemigh wrote:Glad to hear that you are ok, Farley. Having lived in Berkeley for 9 years and being there during the 1989 quake, I understand what you're saying. You never get used to them, you just recognize them more easily.
Exactly! The '89 was a big one... and there was a fairly big one in '84 when I was preganant and over-due with Dana. My Mom thought surely that would induce labor :lol:
They are still scary. When they start you wonder if it will be over quick or brace for something worse.

Ah yes, the Loma Prieta AKA: The World Series Earthquake...6.9 magnatude. Here in Sacramento it was definitely felt. Bob and I were in my car headed home after work stopped at a traffic light. I felt the car seriously swaying and could see other cars moving as well. I said to Bob we just had a BIG earthquake. He said "what earthquake". Seriously? Hahahaha...just too focused listening to the Series on the radio I guess. Then seconds after that it was confirmed on the radio. What a nightmare that was. I had a friend at the Game and she was terrified, scrambling out with all the other people.
FARLEY in Sacramento