Oroville Dam emergency

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
paddlegal

Re: Oroville Dam emergency

Post by paddlegal »

We in the South Sacramento city area are fine. But only a few miles down the road from me the water continues to go up and down according to the constant storms passing though. I just got a memo a few hours ago from Cosumnes River Preserve that our Visitor Center had to close once again due to high water plus the road to it is closed. It changes every day! I was there on Monday and it was open and roads clear enough to drive, though water lapping at the pavement.

We are to have two days of no rain and then more over the weekend. This means that the Bufferlands Bird Tour I've been training as a docent to help lead on Sunday will be cancelled possibly. The majority of the property is under an amazing amount of water. It's been a weird winter to bird.
FARLEY in Sacramento
nancine

Post by nancine »

I'm good here, but downtown San Jose areas are having a real flood emergency. A whole neighborhood flooded in minutes with little warning. They had to be rescued by firemen in boats! All okay though and no injuries/deaths. But thousands evacuated. Found out a gal in my Stampin up groups Mom had to evacuate but when she went back today her house was spared. Others not so lucky. The hardest hit area is home to many low income people so it's going to be hard for them to re-group. This area is about 10-15 minute drive from here.

All my sons local disc golf courses are very flooded, one of his friends went and kayaked a course today.
His house and my sisters are fine Jennifer! The creek closest to us is in a big deep "canal" and only 1/2 full. The other creek where the bike/walk trail is has many flooded parts and most of our county parks are closed due to flooding, rain and downed trees. The neighbors huge tree had to be taken down Sunday, huge crack in the trunk so glad they got it down before the huge storms we had Sunday night and Monday.

Connie's okay, she was just keeping busy pumping out her pool! But her new French drains are working great! But a water main in her neighborhood cracked yesterday so she had low water pressure t deal with!

Connie & I saw a rainbow yesterday when we left Renegades @ 4 pm and we had sunshine today. More storms coming this weekend though. We are full up, don't need anymore water!
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I watched a video of San Jose's flooding this morning that was taken by a drone (I want one!) - I feel so badly for the residents who are going through this. Maybe FEMA will be more help to them than they've been here.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
nancine

Post by nancine »

Not sure what help they'll get... but the mayor and water district seem to be pointing fingers at each other from what I read in the paper!

Water district said they notified the city flood level water was coming with 3-4 hours warning, city said they got "mixed messages" from the e-mails. Residents got notice when fire crews showed up in boats!

Water district says they've cleaned their portion of creek during drought to keep it clear and the flooded areas are property of the city who says "we aren't sure if we own that portion or not" :-o

So the only ones who suffer are the actual flood victims!
One agency claims it's a 100 year flood, another says no that's not the case.

damn bureaucracy!

That drone video (if it's the one I saw) is kind of amazing huh?
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

As a witness in 2012 when we had Scramp Camp, that creek near the steamboat car wash was FULL of crap, including old grocery carts, etc. I think I even took photos of it. Yucko! Nice way to trap debris and block up the creek, right?
nancine

Post by nancine »

ScrappinJen wrote:As a witness in 2012 when we had Scramp Camp, that creek near the steamboat car wash was FULL of crap, including old grocery carts, etc. I think I even took photos of it. Yucko! Nice way to trap debris and block up the creek, right?

Indeed - and our councilman has semi-annual clean-ups of the creek. This isn't the one that flooded SJ though.
The big issue are all the homeless living along ALL the creeks, hence the shopping carts.