Oroville Dam emergency

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
pbp908

Re: Oroville Dam emergency

Post by pbp908 »

I had just checked on Carol, too. She's still in Sacramento and praying this is all a false alarm.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
nancine

Post by nancine »

Lake is down 7 feet, trying to get it down further (40-50 feet is goal) before storms later this week.
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

nancine wrote:Lake is down 7 feet, trying to get it down further (40-50 feet is goal) before storms later this week.
:D I hope this is successful, and people will remain safe.

Having seen some major flooding in my time, this is something.

Even Findlay, Ohio has had major flooding in recent years.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I hope I never see flooding again. Hurricane Matthew was more than enough. People here are now trying to find a place to live because FEMA is no longer paying for them to stay in hotels. 4 months and that was it. There are still entire neighborhoods that are gutted and who knows where the owners are. Some have left and will never return, others are trying to move in with friends and relatives - the homeless count calls it "doubling up" - and yet others are living on the street. Unemployment went from a relatively even line percentage-wise to a straight up line during Sept. and Oct. Businesses are trying to rebuild but small shops will probably never reopen. Roads are still undergoing repairs - the infrastructure is still trying to recover. The devastation of a flood is long term, not short term, and water does not recognize nor differentiate along economic lines in the damage it does. I pray that California does not get hit with what we did here in SE North Carolina.
Pam P.

pamcook

Post by pamcook »

pbp908 wrote:I hope I never see flooding again. Hurricane Matthew was more than enough. People here are now trying to find a place to live because FEMA is no longer paying for them to stay in hotels. 4 months and that was it. There are still entire neighborhoods that are gutted and who knows where the owners are. Some have left and will never return, others are trying to move in with friends and relatives - the homeless count calls it "doubling up" - and yet others are living on the street. Unemployment went from a relatively even line percentage-wise to a straight up line during Sept. and Oct. Businesses are trying to rebuild but small shops will probably never reopen. Roads are still undergoing repairs - the infrastructure is still trying to recover. The devastation of a flood is long term, not short term, and water does not recognize nor differentiate along economic lines in the damage it does. I pray that California does not get hit with what we did here in SE North Carolina.
Exactly. A lot of our patients are from SE NC and it breaks my heart when I hear their stories.

I'm certainly far from up to date on the water situation in CA but I do know that southern CA is dependent on water from northern CA and other states. To "lose" all this water would be devastating to the entire state. It sounds as though too many are taking this too lightly. It terrifies me.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

pamcook wrote:
pbp908 wrote:I hope I never see flooding again. Hurricane Matthew was more than enough. People here are now trying to find a place to live because FEMA is no longer paying for them to stay in hotels. 4 months and that was it. There are still entire neighborhoods that are gutted and who knows where the owners are. Some have left and will never return, others are trying to move in with friends and relatives - the homeless count calls it "doubling up" - and yet others are living on the street. Unemployment went from a relatively even line percentage-wise to a straight up line during Sept. and Oct. Businesses are trying to rebuild but small shops will probably never reopen. Roads are still undergoing repairs - the infrastructure is still trying to recover. The devastation of a flood is long term, not short term, and water does not recognize nor differentiate along economic lines in the damage it does. I pray that California does not get hit with what we did here in SE North Carolina.
Exactly. A lot of our patients are from SE NC and it breaks my heart when I hear their stories.

I'm certainly far from up to date on the water situation in CA but I do know that southern CA is dependent on water from northern CA and other states. To "lose" all this water would be devastating to the entire state. It sounds as though too many are taking this too lightly. It terrifies me.

I don't think it's being taken lightly exactly. Most of the people up north, particularly the Yuba City people and those below have experienced this before. 1969, 1986 and 1997 were big flood years. However, the DWR and those who watch over this dam seem a bit taken by surprise of the damage that was done to the two spillways and they weren't prepared for the what could happen. I give great credit to all the law enforcement agencies that got everyone out of there so fast. That area's roadways are mainly only single lane highways so the traffic jams were awful. Gas stations were inundated by customers headed out.

I've not heard of any actual damage to homes or businesses there. As of 4am yesterday the lake was down enough that the emergency spillway was no longer spilling over. Repairs began yesterday afternoon. Evacuation is still the order.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

paddlegal wrote:
pamcook wrote:

I don't think it's being taken lightly exactly. Most of the people up north, particularly the Yuba City people and those below have experienced this before. 1969, 1986 and 1997 were big flood years. However, the DWR and those who watch over this dam seem a bit taken by surprise of the damage that was done to the two spillways and they weren't prepared for the what could happen. I give great credit to all the law enforcement agencies that got everyone out of there so fast. That area's roadways are mainly only single lane highways so the traffic jams were awful. Gas stations were inundated by customers headed out.

I've not heard of any actual damage to homes or businesses there. As of 4am yesterday the lake was down enough that the emergency spillway was no longer spilling over. Repairs began yesterday afternoon. Evacuation is still the order.
Well, you know the media is always going to find the people who say, "I'm staying until..." 8-) The man they interviewed this morning honestly said, "I can see the dam from my front yard. If it breaks, I'll high-tail it out of here."
Pam Cook #48
nancine

Post by nancine »

Like the guy who wouldn't leave Mount St. Helens????
Hope he can run faster than a 30' wall-o-water!

Before we heard about the Oroville Dam story my husband was saying "I wouldn't live here" about the houses that are right behind the Vasona dam. Granted it's much smaller than Oroville, but still!
If it cracked/broke or even spilled over they would be flooded.

I does take years to recover from a flood - I feel for your area Pam P! I pray for those in the evacuation area, so much unknown and to be away from your home and not sure what may happen.

One of our guys here at work said his wife got a warning today regarding the Andersen Dam about 10+ miles south of us. It has issues that need to be fixed and it's supposed to be kept at 68% full, but it's 100% right now due to rains. The warning said something about if it fails "get the hell out"! It also sits near a fault line, oh boy!

Farley - that sheriff was a smart guy. He wasn't going to depend on any of the government officials, he just wanted to be sure the people were safe!!
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

So happy our sisters are safe! The weather has been unreal this year and we pray that all soon improves.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

hope all is going well
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Just sayin'
Attachments
IMG_6537.JPG
IMG_6537.JPG (76.97 KiB) Viewed 167 times
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Exactly.
Pam P.

paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

:lol:
FARLEY in Sacramento
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Nancy, I notice there is all kinds of flooding in the San Jose area. Are you safe and sound? How about your sister and son? And Connie? Is she above the flood zone? I think you told me she lives on a hillside.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I've been so worried! Is everyone okay?
Pam Cook #48