Changing my mind, maybe

Keitha

Changing my mind, maybe

Post by Keitha »

Back in 2010 Scrapbook and Cards Today magazine hosted a year-long event called Project 12; they provided monthly 2-page sketches by Becky Fleck and the idea was to scrapbook the highlights of each month, all year. Although I completed the 12 layouts I decided I didn't care for that type of recap scrapping, as after having touched on those occasions/events I had no impetus to go back and scrap individual layouts for them.

It was that experience that made me realize Project Life wasn't for me - a decision I still stand by, as I'm not a chronological scrapper. But with the perspective of time I've come to appreciate those monthly layouts from 2010, as it truly is a capsule of what I did each month that year. Despite best intentions there are always events I intend to scrap that I never get around to.

Now that my grandsons are older most of my scrappy pages are of my travels. I'm actually considering that I might want to embrace the idea of monthly recap pages, then the rest of my crafty time can be spent either scrapping my travels or on other projects altogether - and I won't feel like I'm neglecting my scrapping.
pamcook

Re: Changing my mind, maybe

Post by pamcook »

I'm your kindred spirit in this regard. Thank goodness we have the right to change our opinions as often as we like.
Pam Cook #48
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

That's why I did the monthly calendar and photo. It didn't take a lot of time, and I have highlights from the year scrapped. Works great if you're a lazy scrapper like I am.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

I keep a daily journal. I have a page-a-day diary that I write in every evening, so that takes care of the day by day, month by month stuff. I mainly scrap our holidays.
Kathryn.
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

Good news about what we do.

Once you start something you are not beholden to it for the rest of time. You can change your mind, your style, your everything....and back again.
Do what makes you happy
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I can't count the number of times I have started the year keeping a daily diary and then failed. I have much better luck recording what we have for dinner every night and the books I read. Which reminds me I haven't done it yet this year and should since we are trying to return to a more veggie diet.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I've never been able to manage a diary either. But even so, the idea of a monthly layout is intriguing. Lord knows I barely take any photos any more, and could easily just group a bunch of stuff from my phone together and title it "March". :-)

I may get to that point someday, but it won't be 2015. I already have several photos printed and papers and such selected. I wonder if I might try that for 2016 though. As I have fewer and fewer photos to work with, I think the idea of one or two photos for the month, along with a bullet point list of other happenings might be a really cool thing to have. It would serve later to remind me that we did have a life outside of scouts, birthdays, holidays and traveling. I can always use google calendar to get the bullet list of what went on that month.

Hmmm... now you have me thinking... what would it be like to reach the end of 2016 and be done with both 2015 and 2016??? I might actually be able to get back to all of those travel albums that I never finished! (Disney 2009, Paris 1997, Hawaii 2014).
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

jfugina wrote:I've never been able to manage a diary either. But even so, the idea of a monthly layout is intriguing. Lord knows I barely take any photos any more, and could easily just group a bunch of stuff from my phone together and title it "March". :-)

I may get to that point someday, but it won't be 2015. I already have several photos printed and papers and such selected. I wonder if I might try that for 2016 though. As I have fewer and fewer photos to work with, I think the idea of one or two photos for the month, along with a bullet point list of other happenings might be a really cool thing to have. It would serve later to remind me that we did have a life outside of scouts, birthdays, holidays and traveling. I can always use google calendar to get the bullet list of what went on that month.

Hmmm... now you have me thinking... what would it be like to reach the end of 2016 and be done with both 2015 and 2016??? I might actually be able to get back to all of those travel albums that I never finished! (Disney 2009, Paris 1997, Hawaii 2014).
I decided that if I went to this I could still scrap individual events if I want to - there's no scrap police, right? Went back and looked at my photos for 2015 to see what I had - and don't have a single stinkin' photo from Labour Day at the cottage to Christmas - other than a couple thousand from our road trip in the fall, which will become its own album eventually. Dang work, LOL. I want to rekindle my interest in taking good photos this year, and do it on a more regular basis.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Keitha wrote:Dang work, LOL. I want to rekindle my interest in taking good photos this year, and do it on a more regular basis.
Well, North Bay should be a real challenge in Jan. and Feb. to get out there and take photos. I'm sure you could find some photo prompts for a month or two to use for inspiration.
I know you can do it! Trouble is, you might have to leave the hotel! :lol:
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Actually I was thinking about this topic today and between Keitha's monthly layout idea and the JYC prompt to review the year and pick out the highlights of each month, it might be fun to do something like this. Definitely not PL but a two page layout. I miss scrapping the everyday. I'm going to give it some more thought...
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

I think this an interesting topic. I don't scrapbook like I used to. I enjoy mixed media and spend more of my art time in this area. I do however, journal everyday. I've done this now for 5 1/2 years. It's been a great reference and look back for me. I add pictures to this journal of things I really want a visual reminder of with my write up. I need to go back through last year and print a few more pictures to add. I rarely print them in a 4x6 format but much smaller. Also, I do a December Daily to document Thanksgiving through New Years. Christmas always seems to take up more of my albums anyway, so this works for that time frame. Can't stop scrap booking altogether. :shock:
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Marianne, Persnickety Prints just sent an email out with tips for getting better snow photos. They must have had me in mind, LOL.
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I take at least one, usually many more, photos each day. It's my visual diary. I keep an app called Project 365 and I frequently refer to it if we are wondering what we were doing on a certain date.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

ScrappinJen wrote:I take at least one, usually many more, photos each day. It's my visual diary. I keep an app called Project 365 and I frequently refer to it if we are wondering what we were doing on a certain date.

Thanks for reminding me of that app. I used it faithfully for about 6 months a few years ago when I was doing 365 over on CS forum. Forgot all about that. I must go reload that on the new phone.
FARLEY in Sacramento