Vagabond die cutter or Silhouette Cameo?

nchoney

Vagabond die cutter or Silhouette Cameo?

Post by nchoney »

So.... I'm considering asking Mike for a Vagabond for Christmas.... but I don't want to have to start buying more cutting pads, either.... so... in the box it says it has the bases and cutting pads... do those work with the thin metal dies or will I need something else?

And... how do those of you who use one like it ... compared to the Big Shot?

Or... should I just stick with my Big Shot and then ask for a Silhouette Cameo? I know my little Slice cutter will give up at some point and it's long out of production....

So... thoughts??
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
pbp908

Re: Vagabond die cutter or Silhouette Cameo?

Post by pbp908 »

You have to add the wafer-thin die adapter to use thinlits dies. It works beautifully with all of the dies and folders I've run through it, regardless of manufacturer. You need to look at versatility of the Cameo vs the Vagabond and decide which you'd get the most use out of. (Terrible grammar!)
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Don't buy a Vagabond!! I have had 2 of them and they have both failed. Their warranty is useless also. Very unhappy with them. Mine jammed and the sandwich wasn't too tight. They are junk. I used mine under normal circumstances and they both were way too expensive for the time I used them. Should have never bought the second one. Now I have 2 useless Vagabonds. Grrrrr
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I would get the larger Big Shot
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I'm torn.
Vagabond isn't worth the price. I do like mine and it's only jammed once. Given that you have the largest collection of dies on the planet, I would vote for a Big Shot. However...the huge advantage to a silhouette is the inexpensive designs and unlimited sizes of designs. You obviously choose what size design you need at the time - I love that feature. You're tech savvy enough to use it to its full potential.
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I would stick with your Big Shot and your Slice thing for a manual type die cutter. Don't buy a Vagabond!
As Pam C. says you would work out how to use the Cameo unlike the rest of us who don't. But do you have the space for it and do you really want to make big things or 3 dimensional things that the other equipment doesn't do?
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I've heard very few users of the Vagabond praise it. It's mostly negative responses out there for that overpriced "Tim" product. I bet he doesn't even use it.

I absolutely LOVE my Big Shot Plus. It cuts better than my smaller one and for those larger flip card type dies works like a charm since you have a much wider opening that permits you to skew the die. Though I use my KNK a lot for the 3D things, the BSP is an equally used tool. I still buy dies but less so. If your Big Shot is working well enough then I personally would go for some kind of electronic/digital cutter. NOT the Cricut. That company is too proprietary IMO. But the Cameo, Silhouette (same thing?) or the Klic & Kut Zing (I have the KNK MaxxAir model) would be great for you. You are not limited really in any way of what you can cut with it. There seems to be oodles of places online that support the Cameo/Silhouette with user questions as well as images. Many are free. Another plus for the Cameo is if you are making multiples of something. Your machine can be cutting dozens of the same shape or image while you work on something else rather than cranking over and over on the Big Shot. There are wonderful companies out there that sell print and cut images that you would love too.

Just imagine stamping an old wood mounted stamp, scanning it and then being able to cut it, at any size, on your cutter. I am assuming that the Cameo would have that ability like my KNK. Like others said, you are very computer savvy and would have a blast with a Cameo. Just think of all those fabulous images you sent me last year...the possibilities are endless. Marianne had a good point about space. You need to have a clear spot for the machine and it's matte to fully extend to the back and the front of the machine, plus having it near your computer unless you use a laptop. I have a dedicated spot for mine next to my desk computer. But then my KNK is huge...the Zing is a smaller machine and the Cameo even smaller and more portable. My KNK is not portable which is another consideration.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Guess I'm in the minority, then, because I love mine. It's never jammed (knock wood) and was used fairly heavily at the couple of crops I've taken it to. It cuts and embosses like a dream.

I still say get what you think you'll use the most. I "thought" I wanted a Wishblade but the dratted thing has never been used, and it's been collecting dust for almost 3 years now.
Pam P.

clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

I have a vagabond which I got on an excellent deal when Archiver's store closed. I wouldn''t buy it at full price. I've only had one jam and that was totally my fault. I wasn't thinking and put in the wrong size plates for the die I was using. I reversed it and the plate/die came out. I do like it when I want to cut a lot at one session. Cuts down on shoulder strain.

I have the long magnetic multi plate which works on either the vagabond or my Big Shot. Works great on the thin dies. It was an extra purchase. But if you have plates for your Big Shots that work, it should work in the Vagabond. The grandkids love to use the Big Shot. Portable and no electricity. A plus for kids. Space wise they both require about the same space.

If I were to buy another electronic cutter, I'd buy one that doesn't require use of a computer. Also, one that I could scan anything I want. The Brother SAN and Cut appeals to me. However, I don't want to spend that much on another cutter.

There is a lot to consider when spending that much money.
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

How about an option that doesn't require any sandwiches? I'm going to check out the Evolution Advanced (We R Memory Keepers) to see if there are any reviews on it. It's supposed to automatically adjust to whatever you load and can be used manually or with an optional motor. It looks small enough that it can be placed right on your work table without loosing a lot of real estate. Depending on the price, this might be my next purchase - love my Vagabond but hate trying to figure out what to use with what when I cut something.

EDITED: It doesn't automatically adjust - there's a dial on the side. The price is reasonable but the motor attachment costs almost as much as the machine. To my eye (I watched the videos on it, too) it seems to be a little flimsy. The reviews on it range from hate it to love it, which I see on everything.
Pam P.

Keitha

Post by Keitha »

My only comment is if you're going to invest in an electronic cutter i.e. Cameo, make sure you're prepared to invest the time to learn how it works. Mine is dreadfully underused, although I keep saying I'll get to that some day. It does make beautiful cuts whenever I use it - but I don't do it frequently enough that I don't need a tut when I do. Every. Time. I still often use my Cuttlebug if I just need a single or few cuts, especially since I've got a fair amount invested in steel-ruled dies.

Interesting question, about whether or not Tim actually uses the Vagabond. I wouldn't want to devote the real estate to it - especially with having a Cameo also - and not having to plug it in makes setting up the manual cutter one step easier.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

A good point made about learning curves when it comes to electronic cutters. It took me 3 days of steady use with maybe a few tears of frustration involved to get a basic understanding of my KNK. The other consideration is the software. Does the Cameo have the flexibility for you to choose what software you'd like? (Don't know enough about it) I started with "Make a Cut". But now I happily use "Sure Cuts A Lot" which finally became available for Mac users. It's more far intuitive for me and I feel more comfortable exploring other features.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Monica

Post by Monica »

I got an original Cricut the year they came out, as a present from DH. And over the next 2-3 years bought a ton of cartridges for it. And there they all languish. Because even being limited to the size of the due, the Cuttlebug (an original model also) is so much more convenient and easy to use. I've thought about upgrading to the larger size Cricut just to be able to cut up to 12" wide, but I can't justify the expense. Same reason I haven't invested in any other electronic cutter. And until the Cuttlebug dies I'm sticking with it.

Point, I guess, is only purchase what you really know you will use. Otherwise it's just a lot of expense sitting unused on a desk.

As for the vagabond and Tim.... Mario uses it all the time in his BTS photos when he is kitting things.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Well, I'll add my two cents. I have a Big Shot and a Vagabond. I love the Vagabond. I've never had a problem with it except once when I made the wrong sandwich and got it jammed, but I was able to reverse it slowly back; will never do that again. The Big Shot's multi tab platform works in the Vagabond or you can buy the extra shim for the thin dies. If you use the multi tab platform, write in large letters on the top tab NO Embossing Folders (that's the easiest mistake to make and will result in the jam) and you'll be good to go.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Did we help or confuse you even more???? :lol:
Pam P.