How/what do you purge

jfugina

Re: How/what do you purge

Post by jfugina »

LMAO! I think 4x4 is a good rule, but I do tend to hoard that textured CS cardstock way more readily than anything else.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I still have 1/4 x 12 pieces that I kept from the CS days. My scraps have now escalated to the point where I don't have a bin, I have an oil barrel full. Purging them sounds like a great afternoon activity for an empty house Saturday.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I use gallon zip-locks for scraps too - loosely organized by warm, cool and neutral cardstock, patterned and specialty paper. But given how frequently I go to them I figure I might just as well put them straight in the recycling bin and save the shelf space. I used to use cardstock scraps a lot more frequently when I used my QuicKutz dies, but sadly those are mostly collecting dust these days, too. And you know, I'm not in danger of running out of cardstock any time soon so could just cut into full sheets when I need a piece to diecut. Hmmm, I feel a scrap purge comin' on...
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I've made it through one bin full so far, and ended up keeping only the paper that I knew I'll use and the paper that's large enough to cut into photo mattes. So far I have a trash bag full and getting ready to start the next one.
Pam P.

pamcook

Post by pamcook »

You go, Pam!
Joel wants to get started on the hardwood floor in the bedroom I use for my scrapbooking. That means serious purging as I refuse to junk up the other rooms - even temporarily. Just took three bags of stuff to the thrift store and I might be finished with purging household stuff. The next layer will require a lot more soul-searching. I'm letting go of the guilt (look at all the money I've wasted) and focusing on how good it feels to be free of it. Thought I had ruthlessly purged my clothes but there's a whole lot more than can go.
Back to topic - tonight I'm going to make some notes about what I really use and what I have that I'll probably never use (still so many stamps...). Easy to be overwhelmed. Fly lady says 9 items to throw away, 9 to donate, and 9 to bless someone else with (something like that). I know it means getting rid of 27 items at a time. That's not so overwhelming! I'm goin' in!

Because I just know you're dying to know - I got rid of 54 pieces of paper/junk mail/stuff. I should be embarrassed to admit that but it felt too good.
Pam Cook #48
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I have one more bin to go through. One is completely empty and the other is way down from where it was when I started this. Now if I could only find the piece of paper I've been hoarding to do a LO of my mom....

Anyone want a box or two of items from me that haven't been cut, used or abused? I have paper and embellishments and probably will be throwing in some stamps, too.
Pam P.

jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Pam and Pam - I commend you on your purging activities! I still haven't gotten into the right frame of mind to do anything serious yet. However, Rob is leaving the house for a bit, and I'm doing to do some serious de-cluttering while he's gone. I even gave him "fair warning". I can no longer long at HVAC project supplies on my kitchen counter, and there's been a soldering iron on the wet bar for so long I don't even recall why it ever came upstairs in the first place. And I think all of the computer parts are just going to get dumped in a single bin in the basement. They're everywhere, and I have lost my ability to deal.

If it were up to me at all, I'd purge it all. I'd wager that 1/2 or more of it he'd never even notice was missing. :twisted:
Julie Fugina
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Get rid of it, one piece at a time. That way he won't miss it and you'll know it's gone. :lol: How do you think I got rid of George's "loud" golfing clothes?
Pam P.

jfugina

Post by jfugina »

pbp908 wrote:Get rid of it, one piece at a time. That way he won't miss it and you'll know it's gone. :lol: How do you think I got rid of George's "loud" golfing clothes?
I've tried that a couple of times, and darn it all - like months and months later, he comes to me and asks "where's the <whatever thing> that was sitting on the dresser a few months ago?", and I have to admit that I chucked it, and then absolute fury commences.

What we did yesterday was attempt to put everything where we thought it logically belonged, but along with that, we made a list. The kids made a list of every single little thing that we relocated, and exactly where it was relocated to. That one piece of paper can hang out in the paper basket on the desk for as long as it needs to. And I'll probably add to it over time.

And last night, we were at my BIL's house to watch the game, and MIL was asking if we wanted a bunch of the crap that she's trying to purge, and I was like "hell no". I told her I didn't care what it was, or what its historical significance was, or how big or little. I want none of it. Maybe someday she'll get the point.
Julie Fugina
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Joel and I have a pact - he won't complain about my clutter and I won't complain about his. If I'm tempted to try to deal with his clutter, I remember that I have tons of my own to deal with. :oops:
Pam Cook #48
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

Any thoughts on the IKEA kallax? I have been cleaning and rearranging. The purging is NOT going well. Sigh. I do have a space for a shelving unit and I am going to be passing right by an IKEA in a couple weeks. I have seen some cube organizer units also at Sam's and Walmart. It looks like ring bound albums do not fit in the cubes, but the paper and the post bound albums will. I need it to store paper, albums, and supplies like paint.
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I have the older IKEA shelves, and put in baskets, drawers, and doors on 7 of the cubes. From what I've been told, the walls of the new units are a little thinner but are still roomy. I also have the cube units from Hobby Lobby, and they hold a multitude of items. I have the paper cubes, drawer cubes and plain cubes. My albums overhang at the bottom by about 3/4", but that doesn't bother me. I don't have that issue with the IKEA cubes. Either of them can be configured however you want, but I found the drawers to not be as tall as I'd like on the IKEA 2 drawer unit, but then I'm trying to put 10 pounds of manure in a 5 pound bag. :lol:
Pam P.

nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Pam P...if no one else wants your goodies, I'll take them and pass them along to a friend of Helen's who is wheelchair-bound and makes cards.

I'm sure she'd welcome any goodies.
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com