In need of motivation

jfugina

In need of motivation

Post by jfugina »

So I thought that two weekends ago, I'd get to spend several glorious hours in my scrap room, but even though there was no marching contest, I somehow managed to not have any free time all weekend. Last weekend I had an opportunity to spend all day Saturday doing crafty things, but my hip and back hurt so bad that anything more involved than laying in a recliner reading a book just wasn't happening. This weekend has somehow gotten stacked with things on the calendar now, and I'm beginning to think there's no end in sight!

I know there is though, and I've realized that I'm in need of motivation or inspiration. I need to find an "OH! I want to do that project RIGHT NOW" sort of moment. Once I get my stuff out and start to play, I have no doubt that I'll keep some of that momentum going, but for the moment, just the idea of hobbling down the stairs seems like too much work. I've been looking for sketches, and looking through blogs, but nothing has quite hit me yet.

So what are some things that you've come across and it made you want to drop everything and try it? I'm looking for that thing that makes me look forward to the end of the work day, and obsess about the activity all the way home, and race to change in to comfy clothes and head to the craft room. Tonight we've got a band booster meeting, and tomorrow is Jake's birthday so we'll be taking him to his favorite restaurant. Saturday and Sunday are busy all day, but if I can find something to obsess over early next week, then maybe the long Thanksgiving weekend will bring some crafty relaxation therapy.

And by the way, we had all of one week off from after-school rehearsals before Nicole had tryouts for the winter guard. She made the varsity team, which means we're back to practices several times a week, and competitions starting up in February. Not nearly as intense as marching band, but so much for a week of free evenings...
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pbp908

Re: In need of motivation

Post by pbp908 »

Print some photos that you really want to scrap. Marching band, maybe? Competitions and football games? Having photos are generally what gets me cranked.

Now if I only had some. :(
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

I just got back to my WDW album again, after a month of ignoring it because a 2 page layout stumped me... so I understand. To be honest, what's jazzing me at the moment isn't paper crafting, it's felt ornaments of the 12 Days of Christmas. I plan to teach my nieces how to make at least the first one over Thanksgiving, if we have time. The patterns are available on etsy for purchase if anyone is curious, from mmmcrafts I believe. This is the partridge and the pear.... which my darling husband looked at and promptly asked where the tree was? Being the loving wife I am, I told him that's what they hang on! :lol:
Attachments
il_570xN.1321427807_okvw.jpg
il_570xN.1321427807_okvw.jpg (111.19 KiB) Viewed 856 times
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

very cute
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I adore these, Monica.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Oh those are wonderful, Monica. The 12 days of Christmas are my favorite motifs for the season. That could get me interested in the season as well.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

mpizzazz wrote:Oh those are wonderful, Monica. The 12 days of Christmas are my favorite motifs for the season. That could get me interested in the season as well.
Mine also Marianne.

Monica they are just amazing!

Julie, since I don’t scrap much, I will pull out a stamp/die set that either I’ve never used or one that just appeals to me. I ask myself why I bought it and how was I thinking of using it. From there I’ll try to use it for a card. Lately though, my favorite thing to do when I have no specific direction is to either play with making backgrounds (Oxides involved) or dig up old, unused backgrounds and use them for something...stamping on or die cutting.

Cleaning up my desk often causes me to stop and make a card with leftover scraps and stamped images laying about.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I wish I knew! Generally, I see a page someone else has done and I want to see if I can recreate it. Sometimes it’s a mixed media technique, sometimes the placement of the photos or embellishments, it can be anything. This week, it’s because I found a stack of older 8x10 photos. I’m determined to get these on pages instead of stashing them again.
Pam Cook #48
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I've pretty much given up on scrap booking but have gotten into more card making. Good luck~
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
Monica

Post by Monica »

That picture.... those aren't mine, guys. :lol: That's from the etsy seller. Mine are still 'in progress'. But I'll share them when I'm done.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

This is YOUR crafting time, Julie, so find photos that have NOTHING to do with marching bands, scouts, Disney, school or kids! Cut photos YOU like from magazines, like gardens, food, home decor and see if they and their colours spark you off. You don't have to keep it, but you might enjoy playing and discovering.
Kathryn.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

pbp908 wrote:Print some photos that you really want to scrap. Marching band, maybe? Competitions and football games? Having photos are generally what gets me cranked.

Now if I only had some. :(
I've got tons of photos printed (two years worth!) and yes, some are even marching band. I'd gladly send you some! LOL. But I need to go through some of the photos that other folks took and posted to our booster FB page. I don't want to scrap every competition, but I want to do a layout of the show, with a few that clearly have Nicole in the photo. Then there are the other "support" photos - the families working behind the scenes to make stuff happen. I already know the title of that layout will be "We all row". It's a general theme of the school. We're Vikings, and the motto is "Nobody rides this ship, we all row." But anyway, I need to do a photo scavenger hunt to get all of that together.

Right now though, I'm teetering between wanting a break from all of that, and wanting to get it scrapped while it's still fresh. So maybe I can go on my photo scavenger hunt while I'm bored at work, and be primed for scrapping by Thanksgiving weekend. ;)
Julie Fugina
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

paddlegal wrote:
mpizzazz wrote:Oh those are wonderful, Monica. The 12 days of Christmas are my favorite motifs for the season. That could get me interested in the season as well.
Mine also Marianne.

Monica they are just amazing!

Julie, since I don’t scrap much, I will pull out a stamp/die set that either I’ve never used or one that just appeals to me. I ask myself why I bought it and how was I thinking of using it. From there I’ll try to use it for a card. Lately though, my favorite thing to do when I have no specific direction is to either play with making backgrounds (Oxides involved) or dig up old, unused backgrounds and use them for something...stamping on or die cutting.

Cleaning up my desk often causes me to stop and make a card with leftover scraps and stamped images laying about.
Monica and Farley - that's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about! Often times, what gets me to the scrap room is a non-scrapping type of project. But then while I'm down there I'll start gathering up other things to play with. I've been thinking that maybe I should pull out an old GTG pack just to get me playing with something. I don't feel like scrapping at the moment, but once I'm down there, I generally gravitate back towards my photos.
Julie Fugina
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Those are gorgeous ornaments Monica, please do show us yours when they're done! When reading Farley's reply I thought 'I wish I could remember what I planned to use it for' when I pull out an unused stamp or die set, LOL.

Lately, what's made me want to rush home and craft has been shopping. Unfortunately I'm stuck 3 hours away from home so that's probably the reason why.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I am suddenly becoming inspired to scrap a series of pages related to my son's clumsiness. :roll: I've got pics of stitches and some of his cast from the past year. I don't think I want to put a picture of his gory dental trauma, though Rob did take a picture (maybe hidden under a flap that says "viewer discression is advised - not suitable for the faint of heart"). But now I've got new photos to add. He broke his wrist yesterday, and is seeing an ortho today. At a minimum, it will be in a sling and a splint for a while.
Julie Fugina