Why manila?

New tricks to amaze your friends
Yoli

Why manila?

Post by Yoli »

This weekend I'm going to have a chance to play with some of TH's 12 days of Christmas tags. In the past I've simply used scrap paper to create my tags. However, I hear many folks are using manila tags. When it comes to things like TH's techniques, what is the difference between the manila tags and med weight cardstock? Does AI take better on manila tags? I am curious and want to know if I need to buy the manila tags for my project this weekend. Thanks for the help.
Dani Larcom

Re: Why manila?

Post by Dani Larcom »

I like manila tags because it gives you a heavy cardstock base, in a light, neutral (but not white) base. I'm sure you can use cardstock with a similar texture to get a similar result.
Judi in IL

Post by Judi in IL »

I tried to do the first one on cardstock and found that the ink soaked in and wouldn't spread like it was supposed to do when I sprayed it with the water. The tags are not nearly as absorbent as cardstock. I think the AI one has to be done on glossy. Rachelle told me that she cuts her own tags from file folders. That's what I did because Office Depot looked at me real strange when I asked for shipping tags. All they had with holes in them was little tiny price tags.
Luanne

Post by Luanne »

You can use whatever you want. The tags are easy because they are pre-cut, and many of us buy them in bulk, so we have a lot. When using heavy card stock, pay attention to the texture. Many of them are very porous and will absorb your ink, rather than bleed.

I say be thrifty and use what you have. I just happen to have a bunch of tags.
tlscrap

Post by tlscrap »

I used cardstock last year also, and found that my ink soaked up, the manilla tags worked much better. I did the same as Judi, I had manilla folders and cut them up because I wanted the large #8 size, it worked wonderfully! Have fun!
http://tlscrap.blogspot.com/
PAO #8
Theresa Lee
Painesville, Ohio
neith

Post by neith »

they do take ink differently... they have a little bit of a coating on them that helps with some inks... when damp they soak stuff in differently than cardstock, also.
julierealtor

Post by julierealtor »

i often use a matte coated cardstock to stamp on...for ths very reason
Ruth Ann Landry

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

and.....TH says that tags have a tension that you should "break" before using...he sort of grasps each end and slightly twists the middle.....
julierealtor

Post by julierealtor »

the paper from Chapter One would work great!
tlscrap

Post by tlscrap »

Ruth Ann Landry wrote:and.....TH says that tags have a tension that you should "break" before using...he sort of grasps each end and slightly twists the middle.....
I didn't know that!! Thanks!
http://tlscrap.blogspot.com/
PAO #8
Theresa Lee
Painesville, Ohio
Yoli

Post by Yoli »

I'm out of Chapter One paper but I do have some old manila folders that I can sacrifice. I also read on the CS forum that AG has a glossy stockpaper that may work well for some of the AI projects. Thank you ladies for your help. I can't wait to play on Sunday.
flojo

Post by flojo »

Judi in IL wrote:I tried to do the first one on cardstock and found that the ink soaked in and wouldn't spread like it was supposed to do when I sprayed it with the water. The tags are not nearly as absorbent as cardstock. I think the AI one has to be done on glossy. Rachelle told me that she cuts her own tags from file folders. That's what I did because Office Depot looked at me real strange when I asked for shipping tags. All they had with holes in them was little tiny price tags.
That's the same thing that happened to me. I went to Staples and asked where to find shipping tags, she looked at me strange and said "you mean like mailing labels?"
I said "no I mean like shipping tags." LOL She had to go over to the customer service desk and ask the guy if they carried shipping tags and he said do you mean (something he called it, can't remember) So I described them as being manilla colored like a manilla folder with a round hole in the top. He still called it something else and then he said to try the staple aisle down on the bottom. Of course they were there and the label on the product reads "Shipping Tags"

Go figure :?: :?: :?:
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Yoli wrote:I'm out of Chapter One paper but I do have some old manila folders that I can sacrifice. I also read on the CS forum that AG has a glossy stockpaper that may work well for some of the AI projects. Thank you ladies for your help. I can't wait to play on Sunday.
Steppin' Out had a really nice glossy cardstock in it too!