WooHoo!! I did it!!

Debbie J

WooHoo!! I did it!!

Post by Debbie J »

Last Monday I submitted my papers for retirement. I can't believe it, the time has come! 36 years is long enough. We have to apply 4 months in advance so my last day will be Jan. 6th. I have to work at least one week in January to receive my 5 weeks vacation and an additional 7 weeks severance pay. I'm so excited. Barring any unforeseen life changing events I will be outta there!! We are getting in our car and going to see the states we haven't been to before. Rod has 19 (some different than mine) and I have 20. And darn it all, Rod has been to Hawaii and I haven't, so I guess a trip to Hawaii is in the works next year too!! One state neither of us have been to is South Carolina and I have one vacation left this year so I bought tickets to fly to Charleston. We rented a car and have 4 days there and drive to Savannah and have 4 days there.

So....my question for the Southerners is: What do we have to see while there??
mpizzazz

Re: WooHoo!! I did it!!

Post by mpizzazz »

That is wonderful, you are going to have so much fun!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

wonderful news
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
nancine

Post by nancine »

Congratulations! :cool5:

I have no tips, but my daughter and her husband are going to Savannah at Halloween time!
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Oh my goodness!
:cool5:
Debbie, I'd love to help you with this. I have tons of suggestions!
Pam Cook #48
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Sounds good Pam, I'm all ears! :)
Paula

Post by Paula »

Way to go!! I'm sure you will enjoy yourself!!!
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

Congratulations! It will be here before you know it.
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

While in Charleston: The Battery, Fort Sumter, the Charleston Museum, Joseph Manigault house, St. Michael's, and Fort Moultrie. Oh, and the Naval Museum. You might also want to see The Citadel while you're there. Then over the bridge to Mt. Pleasant to tour Boone Hall Plantation (you'll recognize the road up to the house from a certain movie) and eat at Shem Creek.

Lawd, I wish I could go with you! Charleston was my 2nd home when I was in high school.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Gosh Pam, thanks for all the good ideas. Is that the Gone With the Wind movie? Oh my, I would LOVE to see that! That was Tara wasn't it?
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Ohhhh, I just looked at The Citadels football schedule and they have a home game while we are there..........hmmmmmm
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

The road leading in was the road to 12 Oaks, and parts of the interior of Boone Hall was the inspiration for Tara. The floating staircase is magnificent, but I'm an architectural nut.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

Congratulations!

I've never been to South Carolina, but my uncle and his wife (I think she's #4 :D) just sold their home (on the national historic registry) in Charleston and will be moving to Mt. Pleasant.
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

I took the picture in 2013 in Culver City, CA. This was just down the street from my son's home.
I found the blurb on the internet...so it must be true. ;)
rsz_p2240031.jpg
rsz_p2240031.jpg (166.76 KiB) Viewed 472 times

Although people still arrive in Atlanta expecting to visit Scarlett O'Hara’s Deep South estate, not a single scene of the classic film was shot in Georgia.

Virtually all the movie was filmed at what was then the Selznick International Studios. This studio, built by DW Griffith’s contemporary and early innovator Tom Ince in 1916, passed into various hands over the years. In 1924 it was Pathe Studios, in 1925 the DeMille Studios (King of Kings was made here in 1927), in 1931 RKO-Pathe(when King Kong was filmed here). Later, in 1957, it became Desilu-Culver (under the ownership of Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball) and later still just Culver Studios. Most of Steven Spielberg's E.T. was filmed here.

You'll probably recognise it as the mansion seen before the titles of classic David O Selznick productions. It's at 9336 Washington Boulevard between Ince and Van Buren, Culver City. The Washington Boulevard entrance appears as the grand approach to the ‘big new house in Atlanta’ into which Scarlett and Rhett move after their marriage. The building itself is heavily disguised with a matte painting (a painting on glass placed in front of the camera, used before effects could be achieved with CGI), but the formal lawns, and the path with its central hedge, remain virtually unchanged.

Gone With the Wind filming location: North Little Rock Mill, North Little Rock, ArkansasGone With The Wind : the old watermill seen at the opening: North Little Rock Mill, North Little Rock, Arkansas

Photograph: wikimedia / Ernest Mettendorf
One of the earliest shots in the can was the burning of ‘Atlanta’, so early, in fact, that Scarlett O’Hara hadn’t yet been cast – so legend has it. Vivien Leigh supposedly arrived during filming and instantly secured the part. Well it makes a good story, and this is Hollywood, so why not print the legend?

What went up in flames in the scene was the old Selznick backlot, in a massive space-clearing operation. You can plainly see the giant gates of King Kong’s ‘Skull Island’ – strangely out of place in Civil War-era ‘Atlanta’ – during the conflagration.

The few locations include the barbecue at ‘Twelve Oaks’, which used the long-gone Busch Gardens in Pasadena, an estate built by the Busch brewing family. Remnants of the landscaping can still be seen in gardens of the houses around Arroyo Boulevard between Bellefontaine Street and Madeline Drive (the gardens also stood in for the grounds of ‘Xanadu’ in Citizen Kane).

When Scarlett vows never to go hungry again, it’s an early morning sunrise at Lasky Mesa, Calabasas, northwest of Los Angeles in the Simi Valley. Loads of movies were shot here, including the 1936 film of The Charge of the Light Brigade. The area, between Agoura and Woodland Hills, is now known as the Ahmanson Ranch, and is currently scheduled to be redeveloped. The final horse ride of Gerald O’Hara (Thomas Mitchell) was also filmed at Calabasas.

The attack in Shantytown is at Big Bear Lake at San Bernardino, east of Los Angeles. Gerald’s walk with Scarlett was filmed on the Reuss Ranch, Malibu Lake.

The cotton fields of Tara, and O’Hara’s first horse ride, are around Chico, way up in northern California, some 80 miles north of Sacramento. Filming took place around Bidwell Park, Pentz Road, and Paradise Apple Orchard.

Not surprisingly, several estates lay claim to be the inspiration for ‘Tara’. The staircase was supposedly based on an original at Cretien Point Plantation, about four miles from Sunset, between Lake Charles and Baton Rouge, Louisiana, while the avenue of oaks is based on one at Boone Hall Plantation, seven miles north of Charleston, near US17, South Carolina.

One briefly glimpsed location is North Little Rock Mill, the picturesque watermill seen at the opening of the film. You can find it in TR Pugh Memorial Park on Lakeshore Drive, in North Little Rock, Arkansas, across the Arkansas River from Little Rock itself. Despite its quaint appearance, the mill was actually built in the Thirties and so was brand new at the time of filming. It was deliberately designed to look like a historic part of the landscape.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

What she said! I love Charleston also, so much better than Savannah IMHO. It is really interesting to take a carriage ride in Charleston and both cities have some beautiful churches.
Then there is Paula Deans Restaurant. If you want to eat there you really need reservations ahead of time. All I can say about it is everyone should try it once and that is more than enough :roll:
pbp908 wrote:While in Charleston: The Battery, Fort Sumter, the Charleston Museum, Joseph Manigault house, St. Michael's, and Fort Moultrie. Oh, and the Naval Museum. You might also want to see The Citadel while you're there. Then over the bridge to Mt. Pleasant to tour Boone Hall Plantation (you'll recognize the road up to the house from a certain movie) and eat at Shem Creek.

Lawd, I wish I could go with you! Charleston was my 2nd home when I was in high school.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO