I hate cute packaging!

Keitha

I hate cute packaging!

Post by Keitha »

I've decided I'm really not on board with the companies that put their stuff in cute packaging, because of course you want to save and re-purpose it. Except in my case there never seems to be just the right project to use it for - nor am I very good at coming up with brilliant ideas specifically designed to use what by all rights should be garbage. Which I know is a dirty word these days.

Currently about to get the heave-ho are some little divided trays that Prima wood veneers came in. No good for storing said embellishments once you open them because they don't have lids, yet they're made of wood so feel like they should have life beyond getting the embellishments from the store to my house. Give me a cello-wrapped package with a cardboard insert any day.
jfugina

Re: I hate cute packaging!

Post by jfugina »

You know - I'm kinda with you on that. We recycle a lot in our house. We're single stream, and our recycle bin fills up much faster than our landfill bin. And we keep way more than we should, thinking that things should be re-purposed before just mindlessly throwing them in the trash. But you're absolutely right about that becoming too much for the craft room. I've had to force myself into a different mindset in the craft room. I make myself throw stuff in the recycle bin, against my instinct to try to re-purpose first. I'm also not as great about separating stuff out in there. Mostly because the packaging isn't always obviously recyclable.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I agree. Actually found myself saving the PL boxes. They're now in the recycle bin.
Pam Cook #48
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I'm really bad about keeping clear packaging so I can cut it and/or emboss it.

Pack rats, we are.

Keitha - repurpose the little box by making a miniature shadow box.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Yeah, those little wooden boxes are really cute. I did turn one into a shadow box for one of the lottery swaps. Not sure who ended up with it but I really liked it. And it used up one of those Jolee's palm trees and some charms and little shells.
Attachments
Recycled Shadow Box.jpg
Recycled Shadow Box.jpg (150.38 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

pbp908 wrote: ...Keitha - repurpose the little box by making a miniature shadow box.
That's a good idea Pam - except it would end up being another project on the 'to do' list which is already considerable. I think it's destined for the recycle bin. Unless Marianne, you're planning a trip up this way sometime soon? You can make yourself a shadow box - which is really cute, BTW - and have some empty spray bottles, too.

I've also got way more of that clear packaging than I'll probably ever need. A bunch of it is going out, too. Because who am I kidding - it's not like I'm never buying anything in it again :shock:
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Keitha wrote:
pbp908 wrote: ...Keitha - repurpose the little box by making a miniature shadow box.
That's a good idea Pam - except it would end up being another project on the 'to do' list which is already considerable. I think it's destined for the recycle bin. Unless Marianne, you're planning a trip up this way sometime soon? You can make yourself a shadow box - which is really cute, BTW - and have some empty spray bottles, too.

I've also got way more of that clear packaging than I'll probably ever need. A bunch of it is going out, too. Because who am I kidding - it's not like I'm never buying anything in it again :shock:
Hey, I was trying to inspire you to do it for your 'tropical' bathroom along with that configurations box you are going to do. Oh, and the turquoise shelf unit like the one we saw in JoAnn's when you were here.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

it's cute
but I try not to save anymore stuff
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

mpizzazz wrote:Hey, I was trying to inspire you to do it for your 'tropical' bathroom along with that configurations box you are going to do. Oh, and the turquoise shelf unit like the one we saw in JoAnn's when you were here.
You see what I mean about my 'to do' list? LOL
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Keitha wrote:
mpizzazz wrote:Hey, I was trying to inspire you to do it for your 'tropical' bathroom along with that configurations box you are going to do. Oh, and the turquoise shelf unit like the one we saw in JoAnn's when you were here.
You see what I mean about my 'to do' list? LOL
Yeah, and that's just the bathroom! :roll:
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Marianne, I LOVE that little shadow box.
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I have it Marianne and it is sitting on my shelf.
mpizzazz wrote:Yeah, those little wooden boxes are really cute. I did turn one into a shadow box for one of the lottery swaps. Not sure who ended up with it but I really liked it. And it used up one of those Jolee's palm trees and some charms and little shells.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Thanks, Cheryl. I thought it might be you but wasn't sure.
As I've unmounted a lot more wood stamps, I'm putting some of my items out to display on the shelves. Otherwise, I have very little space.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I have the shelf Joe built for me but it is jammed packed and I have goodies that I have received in front of other items received. Only so much front room.
mpizzazz wrote:Thanks, Cheryl. I thought it might be you but wasn't sure.
As I've unmounted a lot more wood stamps, I'm putting some of my items out to display on the shelves. Otherwise, I have very little space.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO