Checking in

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
jfugina

Checking in

Post by jfugina »

Hey everyone! Sorry it's been so long since I've last checked in. I was prompted by a lovely beachy card I received from Monica this weekend, just saying hi. Thank you, Monica! Life has been busy for a while (no news there), but this whole past year has taken it to another level. Jake finished elementary school in May and back in February, he bridged from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts, which has been far more busy. He's away at camp this week, as a matter of fact. I had a year break from the horror of life that was having a middle school kid, and I'm dreading being in that place again. I'm praying it will be better this time around.

Nicole survived her freshman year of high school and went to work again as a CIT at the Y this summer, which she'll do until band camp begins. Her academic life is still a major struggle, but she didn't have to repeat any classes, so we're thankful for that. It's just frustrating to have someone with the necessary intelligence to succeed academically, just not the personal drive to do so. She knows what she has to maintain in order to participate in her activities, and that's really all she strives for. She's so averse to studying, she doesn't even want to bother with getting her driving permit. But we're pushing back on that, because neither Rob nor I have any desire to continue to be her chauffeur just so that she can avoid studying for a test.

My life has also been fairly consumed with band stuff. I'm not just a band mom now. I got elected to the band booster board in April. The organization seems to have been suffering for a while, but didn't really have anyone who wanted to tackle the problems. Basically, the peasants needed to rebel against the long-reigning empire. Now that the empire is transitioning to a democracy, things are already starting to improve, but it's been very consuming on my part. We new board members are working to learn what needs doing from the exclusive clique that's been handling everything for the past 4-5 years. And then turning that around and becoming a more inclusive organization.

Also this spring, we had an in-ground pool put in the back yard, and even with that being contracted out, making sure everything gets done properly has consumed far too much of our time and energy. It's done now, but it will be a couple of years before the yard is back to looking like it's supposed to. It's been far too hot to do any kind of manual labor outside, so I've generally been waiting until the sun goes down and been gardening by moonlight. And I hate gardening, so it's going incredibly slowly.

This past year hasn't left a ton of time for spending on hobbies, and when I do have downtime, I generally crawl into bed with a kindle and stay there until the next morning. I haven't even had the energy or desire to plan any family vacations. I don't know when/if anything will change much over the next several years, because I don't see the load getting any lighter anytime soon. But I'll pop in when I can, just to let you know I'm still around. :-) I do miss you guys.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pugmom

Re: Checking in

Post by pugmom »

Good to "see" you, Julie. Thanks for checking in and updating us on the family. I miss my kids being little, but I certainly don't miss all the activities and hustle and bustle. Although, I don't think my life was ever as busy as yours.

I hope you have a great summer - enjoy that new pool! (I do think we need to see pictures :D )
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
Monica

Post by Monica »

Good to hear from you, Julie! Life can certainly be crazy with teenagers, but it's nice to catch up for a split second.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

The pool is nice, but it will be nicer next year when I can look at it without seeing all of the yard work that needs doing. :lol:

And the area under the deck is such a mess of junk that I think the new screen that the neighbors built for their patio might have been to block their view of it. Post-project clean-up is the absolute *WORST*.
Julie Fugina
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Who was that masked woman??? :lol:

Check in when you can, Julie. I remember the band days and the horseback lessons/shows and the Scouts all too well.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Happy to see you here Julie, even if just between breaths! Glad I can follow you on FB. I know a little of how busy you’ve been. Try to ignore the clean up stuff once in awhile and just enjoy the pool. I imagine the kids and their friends don’t mind at all.
FARLEY in Sacramento
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Pam and Farley - I know you both can relate to the band parent thing! I knew it would make for a busy fall, but I really wasn't at all prepared for the winter programs and how much I'd absolutely fall in love with winter guard. Marching band practices were after school, so it was really just the weekends that got busy. But the winter program practices were 3-4 nights a week, from 6-9pm. And making two trips up to school each night really put a damper on getting other stuff done, for fear I'd lose track of time and leave the poor kid (and my bonus kid I seem to have inherited) stranded.

I kind of thought that summer would be a great time to get back into some better routines that included my classes at the Y that I like (and haven't been to in 3 months) and my hobbies. I'm still sure the mood will hit me again at some point - just not quite yet. :-)

Here's a quick pick of my 15-going-on-30 oldest. Her eye makeup isn't normally that heavy, but this was right after a guard performance.
Dayton.jpg
Dayton.jpg (83.34 KiB) Viewed 294 times
Julie Fugina
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

O.M.G. She's growing up! :oops:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Gorgeous Julie!
Pam Cook #48
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

WOW she has grown up
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Oh wow! She’s a beauty!

Charley didn’t do any special winter groups but did do Concert Band until the end of the school year which wasn’t as intense as winter guard/ drumline can be. But fun just the same. Then it started all over again. He kept that schedule going through his 3rd year of college. Loved it.
FARLEY in Sacramento