help with cricut and decal

New tricks to amaze your friends
4nancie

help with cricut and decal

Post by 4nancie »

I want to make a car decal with my cricut. I was wondering what do I buy to cut so it will stick on the window?
Thanks for your help.
pat-czap

Re: help with cricut and decal

Post by pat-czap »

Would it be the vinyl? Seems to me I've seen window clings made from vinyl.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Beki Ward is the guru. Will send her a message.
Pam Cook #48
BekiWard@msn.com

Post by BekiWard@msn.com »

Thanks Pam, but I am not a guru...I do read & play a lot, though!

To be completely honest, you can use whatever peel & stick vinyl you want...just not heat transfer vinyl (it’s the iron-on stuff). For the best, longest lasting results you want the “651” permanent vinyl. I’ve used both the regular kind AND 651 without any issues.

Before adhering it, just thoroughly clean the area...even wiping it down with alcohol to remove any grease or grime...but the vinyl will stick even if you just wash & rinse the surface well.

There are two schools of thought about Cricut brand vinyl...some love it, others hate it; I’ve never had an issue with it. Oracle 651 is a reputable brand, but the off-brand sold by Hobby Lobby can give you fits; I HAVE had issues with it, before.

Hope this helps a little & good luck!
Beki Ward
Clarksville VA
BekiWard@gmail.com
4nancie

Post by 4nancie »

Thank you .
I bought some vinyl american craft brand I haven't heard of the Oracle 651 brand. One says Adhesive vinyl and the other one says adhesive POW. Rather than using the cricut how will to go in punches or die cuts?
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I’m dying to know what the decal for your car will be? I’ve never worked with vinyl.
FARLEY in Sacramento
BekiWard@msn.com

Post by BekiWard@msn.com »

4nancie wrote:Thank you .
I bought some vinyl american craft brand I haven't heard of the Oracle 651 brand. One says Adhesive vinyl and the other one says adhesive POW. Rather than using the cricut how will to go in punches or die cuts?
Very good question, Nancie! To be honest, I’ve never tried using a punch; I would assume the vinyl would stretch if used in a traditional hand punch...but probably would work with dies OK. I’d try some scraps, just to see. If using a traditional punch, you may want to back the vinyl with cardstock for stability, maybe...

Don’t be intimidated using vinyl with the Cricut. I’ve found it to be easier to cut than cardstock, most of the time!
Beki Ward
Clarksville VA
BekiWard@gmail.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

BekiWard@msn.com wrote:
4nancie wrote:Thank you .
Very good question, Nancie! To be honest, I’ve never tried using a punch; I would assume the vinyl would stretch if used in a traditional hand punch...but probably would work with dies OK. I’d try some scraps, just to see. If using a traditional punch, you may want to back the vinyl with cardstock for stability, maybe...

Don’t be intimidated using vinyl with the Cricut. I’ve found it to be easier to cut than cardstock, most of the time!
I'm a little late to this thread, but I want to second a few things here - one is that Oracal 651 recommendation. That stuff cuts like butter and weeds pretty easily. Cricut vinyl is fine, but I find I can get more bang for my buck with the Oracal stuff ordering through Amazon.

The second thing is to confirm that vinyl is SO VERY MUCH easier to cut than cardstock. I got a newer Cricut for Christmas a couple years ago, and it has a specific setting for vinyl (as opposed to manually setting depth and pressure). And I get a great cut every time, even with super intricate designs. I wish the vinyl was archival, because I'd much prefer to use that for cutting titles and embellishments on my scrapbook pages.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO