needle-tip glue bottles

Save some $ Find out what works
Keitha

needle-tip glue bottles

Post by Keitha »

Wondering what's the best glue to put in a needle-tipped bottle, and what do you have to do to keep the tip from clogging. Anyone here use them?
pamcook

Re: needle-tip glue bottles

Post by pamcook »

Keitha wrote:Wondering what's the best glue to put in a needle-tipped bottle, and what do you have to do to keep the tip from clogging. Anyone here use them?
used to be called Scotch Quick Dry - it might have a new name? The only thing that works for me (when I think of it) is to squeeze the bottle while it's standing up to suck air down (clearing the nozzle). I also tap the bottom of the bottle on the desk to try to drawn down any glue up by the nozzle. Its so frustrating, itsn't it?! I keep an embroidery needle on my desk for opening clogs.

I do keep a bottle of Nuvo glue on my desk now - the nozzle is fine enough for what I use it for and as long as I make an effort to clear the nozzle before I replace the top, it does well.
Pam Cook #48
Monica

Post by Monica »

I bought a 3 pack of needle tipped bottles from Joann's for liquid adhesives after destroying a bottle tip trying to unclog it, and they came with steel pins in them to keep them from clogging. It's not foolproof, but it does help. As does Pam's trick of tapping the bottle on the desk after use and squeezing it gently to make sure the tip is clear.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I do the same thing that Monica does. I've found that the best glue to use for me is PVA. I tried using matte medium and it clogged up constantly. I don't have that issue with PVA, which I buy in the 16 oz. bottle from Dick Blick - so much cheaper than anywhere else I found.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Glue clogging is my nemesis. I initially loved the Nuvo deluxe adhesive because it dried quickly and didn’t clog. But then it did clog. While I was getting monthly kits from Tonic there were often bottles of the Nuvo included. ALL of those bottles are now clogged! So a few weeks ago I got a pile of those needle nozzle bottles to put Nuvo into partly because I needed to be able to do thin lines on dies. It clogged up on me!

I don’t have needles thin enough to go through that tiny opening. Very frustrating. But regardless, I do like the Nuvo and also the Tombow multi 2 way glue which has never clogged on me.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

EXACTLY what Monica and Pam said. I also at times, use a Tim Holtz retractable pokey thingy. :? It is good for larger hole openings. Clean it off right away.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
Monica

Post by Monica »

Farley, the Nuvo glue is why I bought those needle tip bottles! :lol: I destroyed a bottle tip trying to unclog it and wanted the smaller line of glue anyway.

And Pat, you just described my trick for unclogging the glossy accents nozzle. I did find out you can carefully pop off the nozzle and wash it in hot soapy water to completely clean it as well if it's really bad.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Thanks ladies for your quick replies. After posting I found a video by Jennifer McGuire where she showed the caps she buys for her preferred glues - Glossy Accents and Ranger Multi Matte Medium. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuSmcYTR2zo Obviously what works for some people doesn't work for others; I'd have thought both those products would clog those needle-tipped bottles as some of you have found - maybe the secret is you have to use them as frequently as JM does.

The video reminded me I bought some Fineline Applicator fine-tipped bottles eons ago. So I dug those out - only to find the tops don't fit the bottles I have. For now, I'm using a mini bottle of matte medium because the tip is pretty small - it's branded Claudine Helmuth Studio line so you know how old that is, but it still works. I also keep a pin or several dedicated to unclogging those Ranger bottles.
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I have 2 different kinds of bottles.
I use mostly the club scrap glue
I also have a metal tip that screws onto the glitter glue bottle

I open them with a beading needle that I got at Joanns
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

jmp1022 wrote:I have 2 different kinds of bottles.

The CS glue is PVA. Compare the price of it vs Dick Blick.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

pbp908 wrote:
jmp1022 wrote:I have 2 different kinds of bottles.

The CS glue is PVA. Compare the price of it vs Dick Blick.
I remember when you posted this before - I was surprised at the price difference.
Pam Cook #48
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

when I need it again I'll price check.

At a retreat 5 or 6 ago I bought 2 or 3 quarts bottles at 1/2 price
I'm still using it
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
wannabescrappin

Post by wannabescrappin »

pat-czap wrote:EXACTLY what Monica and Pam said. I also at times, use a Tim Holtz retractable pokey thingy. :? It is good for larger hole openings. Clean it off right away.
Me too, Pat!! :creating:
Find time each day to rejoice in the journey...

Cheryl H (aka wannabescrappin)
#61 in the order of PAO